Death of twin brothers fuels debate over Belgian euthanasia law

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Death of twin brothers fuels debate over Belgian euthanasia law - World - CBC News

And for those with their head in the sand- It is unofficially practiced in Canadian Hospitals. A little to much morphine- lowers blood pressure to dangerous level - heart attack.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marc and Eddy Verbessem were 45-year-old cobblers from the Belgian village of Putte. They were deaf, going blind, and they turned to a doctor to end their lives.

Their controversial action in January has fuelled renewed debate over legalized euthanasia in Belgium, coming days before the national parliament began a discussion on extending the euthanasia law to include terminally ill children and people with dementia.

It's a polarizing moral and ethical issue with no easy answers, and parliament continues to grapple with how to handle amendments to the law.

In Belgium it’s not a system of assisted suicide — a doctor handing over a pill. It is death within minutes, with a doctor administering an injection.

More than a decade into legalized euthanasia, 80 per cent of Belgians approve of the existing law.

But even to a leading euthanasia practitioner like Marc van Hoey, president of Right to Die Flanders, the Verbessem case was unusual.

The law makes euthanasia an option for patients whose death is imminent and for those with a chronic degenerative illness. One of the Verbessem brothers did have breathing problems and could only sleep sitting up. The other had had surgery on his spine and had difficulty walking. But their conditions were not terminal.

Still, for the last year of their lives they sent their doctor a letter every week asking for euthanasia. They stopped eating.

“It was clear that if there was no euthanasia they would rob themselves of their own lives,” said their doctor, David Dufour.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
A great aunt of mine was stuck in a care facility for 14 years before she finally died. The staff said that they couldn't remember a day when she didn't wish she was dead.

Myself if my health degraded to such a point I would take a little trip to Mexico- short vacation- go into any pet store and buy a bottle,all over the counter, of what they use to put animals down with.
Come home, make my peace. And find a nice place for a drink.

That always angered my wife. And I could understand that.

Then my wife and I watched her Aunt go. Sedatives, drugs for calming, drugs and more drugs- she incurred injuries galore.

My wife now understands my position on this.

The kids were over recently- the topic came up. I explained how the Aunt died, the time prior in general detail and how my father died.
I informed them then of what I would do.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
there's quantity of life, and quality of life...they are very different...many religions advocate for quantity of life...not something I really understand since they believe they live on strictly for embracing a certain belief system...the older I get the more it is ALL about quality and the more I like the idea of everyone minding their own business and doing what they feel is best for themselves, and leaving me out of their decisions...I will deal with the other side when I get there if there is another side...

speaking of death pacts...it's best to speak to those closest to you about this when you are healthy and of sound mind. It is also an extremely good idea to have a living will with someone you trust to do what is best for you not some good loving person who might decide you need to keep breathing to absolve their conscience... if you do not do this you could lay there gasping for air and screaming in pain for months, while they dab your fevered brow.... as for upping the morphine...damn straight... I say take away the agony

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A long slow painful death, even from this standpoint right now, I wouldn't want to euthanize myself over.

The only reason I would off myself is an Alzheimer's diagnosis. Not being mentally present at your own decline, that's where I draw the line.

So for me, the pro-euthanasia argument always makes me wonder 'would a society with euthanasia respect my dying the way I was comfortable with?'

In the world of hurry up, of sanitizing life to make ourselves feel more comfortable, I'm starting to understand the fear my in-laws have that assisted suicide and euthanasia, will pave the way to hustling seniors out of life sooner than they would choose to go.

there's quantity of life, and quality of life...they are very different...many religions advocate for quantity of life...not something I really understand since they believe they live on strictly for embracing a certain belief system...the older I get the more it is ALL about quality and the more I like the idea of everyone minding their own business and doing what they feel is best for themselves, and leaving me out of their decisions...I will deal with the other side when I get there if there is another side...

For spiritually inclined people, there is quality where no one else perhaps sees it. There is the concern of cutting someone else's spiritual journey short just because their physical one ended and we can't share in their spiritual path. To acknowledge that there may be great personal and human value in someone even if we can't see the inner workings, isn't really the same as advocating quantity over quality.