Suicide overtakes car deaths in US

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Thats unfortunate.
But not surprising. How many millions lost their homes when Wall Street crashed the economy? How many people are waking up to the fact that just about everything they were told to believe about their country has been a lie?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
More Americans now commit suicide than are killed in car accidents. In 2010, the CDC reported, 33,687 people died in car crashes, but 38,364 took their own life.

Steep Rise in Suicides Among Middle-Aged Americans, CDC Says - US News and World Report

That's some rather sad news.....

How many of the car crashes were suicides?

But not surprising. How many millions lost their homes when Wall Street crashed the economy? How many people are waking up to the fact that just about everything they were told to believe about their country has been a lie?

There's been cases of people who were laid off their job and some even being threatened with layoff that committed sideways. I knew of one guy on Vancouver Island about 10 years when Gov't was cutting back. Who da thunk a guy would do it over a job?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
There's been cases of people who were laid off their job and some even being threatened with layoff that committed sideways. I knew of one guy on Vancouver Island about 10 years when Gov't was cutting back. Who da thunk a guy would do it over a job?
When Campbell tried to kick people off disability back when he first came to power, 9 people in Vancouver offed themselves. When all that is important is the bottom line, people become worthless, collateral damage. But the Wall Street bankers made out like bandits, so everything is honky dory.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
How many millions lost their homes when Wall Street crashed the economy?
You're a drone. The Economy was crashed by the guvmint forcing banks to give loans to people the banks knew could not pay the loans back; it was called the Community Reinvestment Act.

How many people are waking up to the fact that just about everything they were told to believe about their country has been a lie?
What lie is that?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

..................Coming soon to a country near us.....................

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I've never understood the flap about suicide. I can see how it's a problem with teens and such, but hey, if you're an adult responsible for yourself by law and custom, and you choose to exit stage left, what business is that of anybody's?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've never understood the flap about suicide. I can see how it's a problem with teens and such, but hey, if you're an adult responsible for yourself by law and custom, and you choose to exit stage left, what business is that of anybody's?

I see your point, BUT adults sometimes have small children they leave behind to cope with the loss and are suspectable to becoming dysfunctional people because of it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
How many of the car crashes were suicides?

It's never as simple as 'committing suicide over a job', it's committing suicide because you feel that job is all you're worth. And that's often because you either have a spouse at home focusing on money, or you're already in a depression and not seeing reality.

This is good news. Don't like reality? Do yourself. The rest of us will carry on a mite easier.

One less taxpayer, and a handful of people needing counseling/social programs to counter the effects of a lost spouse/parent/child. I dunno, this could bring society lower. Especially since suicide is often 'contagious' in families.

Not a problem at all if it's a reasoned decision made when you're of sound mind.

That's rarely the case though. Depression lies to you about reality.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
That American dream is indeed a nightmare.

Reaching middle age and finding that you're no farther along or even worse off than you were when you started, with no viable prospects is a hell of a reality to wake up to.

When you're brought up to believe you should be 'in control' or 'on top of the game', finding yourself at the whim of reality hits harder then when you've spent your entire life struggling in a system that's rigged against you.

If your job hasn't been outsourced it's being insourced, no matter what your skill level. Getting full time status and Healthcare coverage is important to middle age people who aren't old enough to qualify for Medicare/aid.

Keeping a job when you're over 50 anymore is tough. You're seen as a burden, an additional cost for insurance, an additional liability not worth keeping around. Finding a new job when you're over 50 is monumentally more difficult, especially when you have been unemployed for any significant period of time. Given these factors and the demographic Boomer bulge, it is predictable that suicides will rise in this age group, as will criminal activity. What exactly ARE we supposed to do between the ages of 50 and 65? That's a long time to try to scrape by with no health insurance, little if any savings, and no prospects for work more meaningful than being a greeter at Walmart for minimum wage and no benefits.