3 pals of Boston Marathon bombing suspect charged with coverup

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
3 pals of Boston Marathon bombing suspect charged with coverup

Three college friends of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev were charged Wednesday with removing items from his dorm room or lying about it to the feds.

Azamat Tazhayakov and Dias Kadyrbayev were charged with conspiring to obstruct justice. Robel Philipos was charged with making false statements, federal authorities said.

A hearing was scheduled for sometime after 3 p.m. in Boston.

Tazhayakov and Kadyrbayev, who are from Kazakhstan, had been detained April 20 on immigration charges. Philipos was taken into custody later.

The men recognized Tsarnaev, 19, from video of the bombing scene released by the FBI and Kadyrbayev texted him about it, a criminal complaint said. His responses included the messages "lol," "you better not text me" and "come to my room and take whatever you want," the court document said.

The trio went to Tsarnaev's dorm room at the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth, where they were let in by his roommate.

The trio spotted a backpack containingseven red tubes of fireworks that had been emptied of their explosive powder and Kadyrbayev decided to take it, according to a criminal complaint. They also took a laptop because they didn't want to arouse the roommate's suspicions about the backpack, the complaint said.

Kadrybaev told the feds "they then collectively decided to throw the backpack and fireworks into the trash because they did not want Tsarnaev to get in trouble," the complaint said.

Kadyrbaev put the items in a large trash bag and tossed it into a dumpster near his apartment, the complaint said.

There was no indication the three men had any prior knowledge of the bombing.

"Please be advised that there is no threat to public safety," the Boston Police Department said on its website.

If convicted, Kadyrbayev and Tazhayakov face a maximum sentence of five years in prison, and Phillipos faces a maximum sentence of eight years in prison, prosecutors said.

Tazhayakov and Kadyrbayev were classmates of Tsarnaev’s at UMass-Dartmouth who lived in an off-campus apartment in New Bedford and got around in a car with the vanity plate “Terrorista #1.”

The plate, which was pictured on Tsarnaev’s Twitter feed in March, was a joke gift from friends, a lawyer for Kadyrbayev has said. The lawyer has also said the two men were shocked by the bombing and have fully cooperated.

Authorities said Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, and his older brother Tamerlan carried out the blasts that killed three and wounded more than 200 near the finish line of the race.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, was killed during a firefight with police. Dzhokhar was arrested after a manhunt and has been charged with using a weapon of mass destruction.

Law enforcement officials have told NBC News that Dzhokhar told them during questioning he and his brother wanted to defend Islam after the American wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The brothers, ethnic Chechens who had been living in the U.S. for more than a decade, were seen on video at the marathon. Investigators have been trying to determine if they received assistance from anyone else in the U.S. or abroad.

source: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...hon-bombing-suspect-charged-with-coverup?lite

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
forget jail...deport them NOW, buh bye...

I think they deserve their day in court. If guilty...jail... then deport.

But it is Massachusetts...we tend to coddle these folks. They're lucky it wasn't the Houston Marathon I tell you that.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I think they deserve their day in court. If guilty...jail... then deport.

But it is Massachusetts...we tend to coddle these folks. They're lucky it wasn't the Houston Marathon I tell you that.
as long as it doesn't cost too much, they can have their day in court to endure the stress, then toodle-loo...they do not DESERVE to walk on American soil

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
These idiots deserve whatever they have coming to them. I can, maybe, maybe, understand lying for a friend before anything happened. But to do so after, when they knew exactly what transpired? They might as well have helped them plan it and pull it off really.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I like to think that there can be shining moments and examples that come out of tragedies. I think this is one of them.

Muslim bagel business owner donates profits to Boston charity

Ehab Sadeek, the owner of Bagel Land in Winchester, Massachusetts, is donating 100 per cent of the profits from his business to One Fund Boston until every bombing victim is out of the hospital.
Watch an interview with Sadeek at CBS Boston.
As of Monday, 29 victims were still hospitalized. Sadeek has donated more than $1,000 so far.
"I hope they come home soon, but we are committed to do it," Sadeek told WBZ NewsRadio 1030.
For Sadeek, an Egyptian Muslim, the act of generosity is an important one.
"They don't represent my faith. They don't represent my religion. They will not hijack my religion," he said of the bombers. "Being a Muslim, I felt I cannot stay quiet about that."
He insists his financial sacrifice, one that has impressed his loyal customers, is nothing compared to what the victims are enduring:
"Some of them have given their own life. Nothing compares to that."
One Fund Boston helps families of those affected by the Boston Marathon tragedy.
"I am humbled by the outpouring of support by the business community and
individuals who are united in their desire to help; The One Fund Boston will act
as a central fund to receive much needed financial support," Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick said of the donations pouring in.
"At moments like this, we are one state, one city, and one people."

Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

Good for him, that is exceedingly generous.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
as long as it doesn't cost too much, they can have their day in court to endure the stress, then toodle-loo...they do not DESERVE to walk on American soil

Oh it will cost a fortune. They will have the best lawyers eventually.

Last edited: