Fired for second hand pot exposure

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Cheryl Hale's 16-year career at a Washington state retail store came to an end about a year and a half ago when an on-the-job injury forced her to submit to a drug test. She tested positive for THC, the psychoactive agent in marijuana, and was fired for breaching the company's zero-tolerance policy.
But Hale told Washington's KOMO in a recent report that she never used cannabis, and that the results of the oral swab and subsequent blood test were instead affected by her second-hand exposure to her husband's frequent medical marijuana use.
"There is this huge grey area where there's a lot of people who are contaminated from second-hand smoke," Hale said in an interview KOMO's Matt Markovich, saying that losing her job had devastated the couple financially. "Companies need to realize that it's not just black and white anymore."
Markovich attempted to test Hale's claim by exposing himself to second-hand pot smoke in order to determine if he would similarly test positive for THC on an oral swab, and then for trace amounts in a blood test. He began by joining Hale's husband in their small bedroom while he smoked marijuana:

Cheryl Hale, Washington Woman: I Was Fired For Failing Drug Test After Second-Hand Pot Exposure

Never thought of this before!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Ever been in a car when others are smoking? ...in winter? I don't smoke any more but, man, I got wasted that night.

My ex was allergic to cigarette smoke. I would always go outside to smoke cigarettes or pot. I think even those who smoke for medical reasons should be considerate of those who share their space. None the less, the company policy is beyond silly. It's retarded. Even if you have THC in your system does not mean you are impaired. Alcoholics can be impaired even if they test negative for alcohol in their blood. The War on Drugs has created a national hysteria that is based on lies.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
A friend of ours' grandniece had a bloodtest and some illegal drug remnants were found in her blood. The kid was less than 2 years old. The mother was the user but never subjected the kid to the drug. They figured out that when the mother handled the baby, small amounts of the drug were absorbed through the kid's skin from the mother's hands.
The manager of that retail store needs a smack upside the head for being so stupid.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Didn't Canada have a snowboarder who suffered similar fate. Lost his Gold until soneone bitchsmacked the IOC in the head.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Archaeologists in Britain find second hand pots all the time, but none of them are ever fined for it. It's disgraceful.