Oops - 3.1 Billion- not missing- just not accounted for??

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Oops - 3.1 Billion- not missing- just not accounted for???

Not again Tony..................
Point- Buy stock in Ontario Gazebos is what I say.

Auditor General report says feds can’t account for $3.1-billion | Canada | News | National Post
Tony Clement says although auditor general can’t find $3.1B allocated to anti-terrorism, no money ‘misspent’

Federal departments and agencies spent about $3.1-billion less on public safety and anti-terrorism activities than they were allocated, and no there was no explanation for the gap.

In a report released Tuesday, Michael Ferguson revealed that the Harper government has been unable to explain why so much money set aside in recent years for the anti-terrorism initiative has simply gone missing.

Furthermore, he found the government did not have a clear handle on whether it had met the strategy’s objectives of keeping terrorists out of Canada, and deterring attacks.

Treasury Board President Tony Clement told reporters the missing $3.1-billion could be the result of the lack of “whole of government assessment of spending.”

He said all government spending is accounted for.

“There is no indication by the Auditor-General that any funds have gone missing, that any funds have been misappropriated or that any funds have been misspent,” Mr. Clement said.

Clement also said that some of the spending — 2001 through 2006 — came under the previous Liberal government.

The revelation, which comes just days after Parliament passed anti-terrorism legislation and the RCMP made arrests in an alleged plot to derail a Via Rail train, is bound to focus attention on the government’s capability to guard against terrorist attacks.

Ferguson’s auditors examined the Public Security and Anti- Terrorism (PSAT) Initiative, which was established in 2001 after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States.

As part of the plan, the government promised to distribute billions of dollars to various departments and agencies to reach five objectives: keep terrorists out of Canada; deter detect, prosecute and remove terrorists; facilitate relations with the U.S.; support international initiatives; and protect Canada’s infrastructure.

However, his auditors found that only about $9.8-billion was spent on anti-terrorism activities during that period — about $3.1-billion less than allocated.

The auditors asked the government for information to explain the $3.1-billion difference between what was set aside and what was actually spent.

However, no records were “available” to explain the shortfall, Ferguson was told.

As for whether the anti-terrorism funds were well spent, Ferguson said departments and agencies prepared annual reports and evaluations on the matter.

In fact, projects accounting for 89% of spending were subject to an evaluation and were deemed to be consistent with the initiative’s objectives.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Maybe there are some awfully highly paid "informed sources" (AKA snitches) around? Tony Clement has expensive hobbies? I could go on. :D

Tony "Gazebo" Clement!?! Say it ain't so!!!!

I can say with out doubt that terrorists have made off with it.

I thought for sure the bankers had it????

Who are you and what have you done with darkbeaver?

If it was there it would of course be on the Right side.

That's just what they want you to think.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Bankers are the worlds deadliest terrorists and there is absolutely no doubt about that. War and conquest is the economy of the west. You can't name a war in the last four hundred years that wasn't backed by bank gold.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Bankers are the worlds deadliest terrorists and there is absolutely no doubt about that. War and conquest is the economy of the west. You can't name a war in the last four hundred years that wasn't backed by bank gold.

There you are.

I was worried for a minute there. ;)

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Tony "Gazebo" Clement!?! Say it ain't so!!!!

That's just what they want you to think.

Drove around the area and I do not see a sudden sprouting of Gazebos. The again it is still freaking winter here- So where is he hiding them?

Timetrvlr

Electoral Member
Dec 15, 2005
BC interior
$3.1 billion unaccounted for plus another estimated $30 billion in uncollected taxes from the rich who are squirreling it away in off-shore accounts, maybe that's why your taxes are so high? Maybe it's not the old geezers on OAS that are responsible for your high taxes?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
From that Liberal Sucking Newspaper.

Deficit-loving Tories may be brought down by $3.1-billion they didn’t spend | Full Comment | National Post

The government was quick to point out that that doesn’t mean the money was misspent. And that’s true. It’s possible that every last cent of it went toward stopping would-be terrorists in their tracks. It’s also equally possible that there’s a forgotten government savings account out there with $3.1-billion sitting in it, quietly accruing whatever lousy interest rate the banks are offering. Or, almost as good, maybe it all went missing while the Liberals were in power.

The problem is that the government doesn’t know. Mr. Ferguson asked them for extra documents so that he could run down where the missing money went. He didn’t get them. If the documents exist, the government doesn’t know where to find them.

This sounds suspicious, but it need not be nefarious. But the government needs to be able to say so. As my colleague John Ivison noted on Tuesday, even worse than the fact that money was wasted — what else is new? — is that no one even knows how it was wasted, when it was wasted, or even if it was wasted. That’s embarrassing.

And a godsend to the opposition. Not just because they get to crow about wasted billions, but because until and unless the government can figure out where the $3.1-billion went or is, it has no response to the opposition attacks. Thomas Mulcair can get up every day in the House and demand an update. Every time the government has no answer, they look stupid.

Canadians are a forgiving lot, but they don’t tolerate that degree of mismanagement. A government that spent $176-billion it didn’t have may be brought down by $3.1-billion it might not have spent at all.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
If it is unaccounted for it is missing period. How and the hell can they misplace 3.1 billion?
These are people in charge of security and the money until found in unsecured.
I wish I could have enough money to misplace a few billion.

How does anyone know if it was misspent or not, its missing as in unaccounted for.
I love the excuses. They would rather have excuses and glib phrases to overcome
the embarrassment rather than go find the money.