Biggy spill in Alta., the province that cares...........

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Funny, the province criticized their cleanup, fined them, etc. The public demanded that, despite the fact that apparently 'we don't care'.

The people in the area it effected.... Albertans. The cleanup crews.... Albertans.

We may have the most active petroleum industry, the biggest reserves that the Canadian and US markets have paid to get out of the ground, but that doesn't mean we don't care. Right down to the operators who are reporting if they spill so much as a litre on the ground, people are highly aware of the environmental impact, because it's our back yards that Canada's chug-a-lugging its petroleum from.

But, handy to just scape goat 'someone else' I suppose.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Funny, the province criticized their cleanup, fined them, etc. The public demanded that, despite the fact that apparently 'we don't care'.

The people in the area it effected.... Albertans. The cleanup crews.... Albertans.

We may have the most active petroleum industry, the biggest reserves that the Canadian and US markets have paid to get out of the ground, but that doesn't mean we don't care. Right down to the operators who are reporting if they spill so much as a litre on the ground, people are highly aware of the environmental impact, because it's our back yards that Canada's chug-a-lugging its petroleum from.

But, handy to just scape goat 'someone else' I suppose.

Right now, they're the goat, so they have to be careful. Pipelines and big oil have had forever to get it right.

Instead they bafflegab, and bull****. Check out Louisana.............Won't be right for centuries. Sorry your hubby works in oil. Not my fault.

Image what'll happen when the "proposed" really bigun springs a leak.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Right now, they're the goat, so they have to be careful. Pipelines and big oil have had forever to get it right.

Instead they bafflegab, and bull****. Check out Louisana.............Won't be right for centuries. Sorry your hubby works in oil. Not my fault.

It's not just that my hubby works in oil. Just about every male in my family works in oil, in one way shape or form. Their bodies are trashed, they're exposed to carcinogens, so that the rest of Canada can sit at their inexpensive electric toys, and look down their noses at the people who supply them, while bitching about what WE'RE doing to the environment.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

"Big rail" is about to make out like bandits. Invest in CPR or Procor, you'll do very well thanks to pipeline opposition. There are no legal or environmental blockades to 2Km long oil trains running through downtowns of hundreds of cities and towns along the way to ports.

The Crown could have made a killing shipping oil instead of selling CNR off to Bill Gates.

It's not just that my hubby works in oil. Just about every male in my family works in oil, in one way shape or form. Their bodies are trashed, they're exposed to carcinogens, so that the rest of Canada can sit at their inexpensive electric toys, and look down their noses at the people who supply them, while bitching about what WE'RE doing to the environment.
Rocks are heavy. I sacrificed a toe to frostbite and my spine so that people could sit and complain online using the copper and gold, and made they're lives sparkle with diamonds I've found and that is in every goddam home in Canada.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
What humanitarians, gag,hubby works in oil for the big bucks,I doubt he cares what happens after he punches out.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What makes you think that?

Safety and environment are pounded into the skulls of resource workers day in and day out.

They face fines, days off or terminations for breaking environmental rules

They work hard safely and cleanly for two or three long turn arounds and then come home and dump the oil from their trucks down the storm drains after doing oil changes?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It is so much fun to generalize isn't it? There are all kinds of people who care
and there are those who don't give a damn. That is a fact of life. My sister and
brother in law both work in the oil industry and the do care.
The other side of the coin? People in BC want oil, we just don't want it shipped
through our ports to foreign destinations. Kinder Morgan is a touchy subject.
the Northern Gateway is another thing.
I am looking at kinder Morgan with two minds, they have a good safety record
and they have for a long time. The trouble I have is I don't like selling energy
resources to Asia, and those who compete for market place jobs with different
interests from us.
As for the Norther Gateway? That company is irresponsible they have a litany
of damaged pipe and I wouldn't trust them with anything. They are also deceitful.
They removed the Islands to show open sea when that is not the case.
I have no problem with pipelines east and servicing the rest of Canada and
Europe. I do believe we should sell only refined and finished product.
In some cases we have seen a hell of a mess in the oil patch in other cases
they have done a good job.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The other side of the coin? People in BC want oil, we just don't want it shipped through our ports to foreign destinations. Kinder Morgan is a touchy subject. the Northern Gateway is another thing.
The North Slope oil is much much better.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What makes you think that?

Safety and environment are pounded into the skulls of resource workers day in and day out.

They face fines, days off or terminations for breaking environmental rules

They work hard safely and cleanly for two or three long turn arounds and then come home and dump the oil from their trucks down the storm drains after doing oil changes?

Not to mention... most of the oil patch workers I know are, or were, or grew up with, farmers. They have an emotional, and fiscal understanding, of the importance of clean land.

Last edited: