George Jones Dies at 81

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

George Jones, the definitive country singer of the last half-century, died Friday at a hospital in Nashville. He was 81.

He was hospitalized on April 18 with fever and irregular blood pressure, the Web site of Webster & Associates, his publicists, said in announcing the death.

Mr. Jones, who was nicknamed Possum for his close-set eyes and pointed nose, and later No-Show Jones for the concerts he missed during drinking and drug binges, was a legendary figure in country music. His singing, which was universally respected and just as widely imitated, found vulnerability and doubt behind the cheerful drive of honky-tonk. With a baritone voice that was as elastic as a steel-guitar string, he brought suspense to every syllable, merging bluesy slides with the tight, quivering ornaments of Appalachian singing.

more

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/27/a...y-singer-dies-at-81.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

He was a legend.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well thats sad. I saw him about five years ago. Good show, particularly for his age at the time.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I saw George once at the end of stay on the planet with us and I have a large collection
of recorded memories from my country must section. George was one of those people
who could misbehave and still have even his more prudish fans still love him.
There will be a reunion tonight with Waylon and a few others for a jam session that the
rest of us won't hear. George was one of a kind and h is legend will live on both in his
music and by those who follow and eventually cover a few of his hits.
There is an album with the song No Show Jones, as a cut on it. He did sessions with a
lot of folks including Merle Haggard. We're gonna miss you George but we'll keep the
memories thank you.