Credit report lists woman's PTSD as her employer

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

TORONTO - Laura Feeney did a double-take when she saw it.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
It’s a medical condition she’s struggled with for years, and there it was for any potential lender or creditor to see on her Equifax credit report, strangely listed as her current employer.
“I thought to myself, wait a minute, that is medical information,” Feeney said. “How the heck did that get on there?”
So Feeney called the company, which provides credit reports to consumers and creditors alike, hoping to have the improper disclosure removed. But to her surprise a customer representative with the firm said the line could not be removed and they would not tell her who put it in the document, she said.
“People try very hard to keep their information personal,” Feeney said. “For that to show up on my credit bureau, in front of the world and people who access my file, what business is it of theirs that I have post traumatic stress disorder?”
In its privacy policy, Equifax states that it does not collect health information.
Feeney was the victim of a violent assault while working as a delivery truck driver in July 2008. She was diagnosed with PTSD in August 2010 and has battled its symptoms ever since, she said.
“I want to know how my post traumatic stress disorder showed up on my credit bureau (report),” she said. “It should have nothing to do with my credit worthiness.”
Abby Deshman, program director with the Canadian Civil Liberties Association, said this is a violation of Feeney’s rights.
“To me, it seems very clear that information is not supposed to be on your Equifax reporting form,” Deshman said. “The fact that it is included is extremely concerning.”
Deshman said she’s never heard of an instance like this, but the CCLA has been working to ensure police background checks don’t violate individual privacy by including too much information. In those instances, the results can be very damaging, she said.
“We know that medical information and specifically mental health information that is included on police background checks can and does lead to discrimination,” she said. “The same concerns would apply to credit checks.”
Because Equifax’s privacy policy explicitly says they will not disclose medical information they should be able to fix this issue, Deshman said.
“Companies, including credit agencies, hold an enormous amount of personal information,” she said. “What they do with that, how they’re treating that, and whether they’re complying with their own policies and the law is incredibly important.”
The Toronto Sun first contacted Equifax’s media hotline for comment April 18 and then again Wednesday via telephone and e-mail.
Equifax’s manager of public relations and communications, Tom Carroll, responded on Thursday but requested more time to conduct an internal investigation.
Meanwhile, Feeney said she has retained legal counsel and filed a complaint with the federal privacy commissioner.
She said she worries that if she doesn’t speak up, others might be afraid to voice their concerns over similar privacy violations.
“If it’s happened to me, who else is there?” Feeney said.

Credit report lists woman's PTSD as her employer | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

I'm sure that won't lead to any kind of discrimination.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
She said she worries that if she doesn’t speak up, others might be afraid to voice their concerns over similar privacy violations.

A HUGE kudos to her, because more worrisome than it leading to discrimination, is the fact that if it became common practice, it would (not could, guaranteed, WOULD), lead to even fewer people seeking mental health care that they need.

If I had to worry about my depression, my drinking, or my post traumatic stress issues showing up on a gov. form, I'd never see a counsellor again.

Elder

Electoral Member
Jan 15, 2011
New Westminster, BC, CA

TORONTO - Laura Feeney did a double-take when she saw it.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
It’s a medical condition she’s struggled with for years, and there it was for any potential lender or creditor to see on her Equifax credit report, strangely listed as her current employer.
“I thought to myself, wait a minute, that is medical information,” Feeney said. “How the heck did that get on there?”
So Feeney called the company, which provides credit reports to consumers and creditors alike, hoping to have the improper disclosure removed. But to her surprise a customer representative with the firm said the line could not be removed and they would not tell her who put it in the document, she said.
“People try very hard to keep their information personal,” Feeney said. “For that to show up on my credit bureau, in front of the world and people who access my file, what business is it of theirs that I have post traumatic stress disorder?”
In its privacy policy, Equifax states that it does not collect health information.
Feeney was the victim of a violent assault while working as a delivery truck driver in July 2008. She was diagnosed with PTSD in August 2010 and has battled its symptoms ever since, she said.
“I want to know how my post traumatic stress disorder showed up on my credit bureau (report),” she said. “It should have nothing to do with my credit worthiness.”
Abby Deshman, program director with the Canadian Civil Liberties Association, said this is a violation of Feeney’s rights.
“To me, it seems very clear that information is not supposed to be on your Equifax reporting form,” Deshman said. “The fact that it is included is extremely concerning.”
Deshman said she’s never heard of an instance like this, but the CCLA has been working to ensure police background checks don’t violate individual privacy by including too much information. In those instances, the results can be very damaging, she said.
“We know that medical information and specifically mental health information that is included on police background checks can and does lead to discrimination,” she said. “The same concerns would apply to credit checks.”
Because Equifax’s privacy policy explicitly says they will not disclose medical information they should be able to fix this issue, Deshman said.
“Companies, including credit agencies, hold an enormous amount of personal information,” she said. “What they do with that, how they’re treating that, and whether they’re complying with their own policies and the law is incredibly important.”
The Toronto Sun first contacted Equifax’s media hotline for comment April 18 and then again Wednesday via telephone and e-mail.
Equifax’s manager of public relations and communications, Tom Carroll, responded on Thursday but requested more time to conduct an internal investigation.
Meanwhile, Feeney said she has retained legal counsel and filed a complaint with the federal privacy commissioner.

Credit report lists woman's PTSD as her employer | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Wow!! Brava to Feeney for moving to resolve this serious private info issue. The truth is that we have no idea who holds private information on us. I suspect we would be shocked and horrified.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Equifax fixing leak of woman's private medical info

TORONTO - A Durham Region woman says a credit reporting company that violated her privacy by disclosing medical information on her credit report has taken action to correct the problem.
Laura Feeney, a 47-year-old Courtice resident said an Equifax representative told her nothing could be done about removing "post traumatic stress disorder" from the report and that they could not tell her who put the private information on her credit report.
After the Toronto Sun published her story Friday, the firm deleted the information from her report and is working to confirm who placed it there in the first place, she said.
"They are just going to make one more verification," Feeney said, of Equifax's work to track back who put the medical information on the form. "With any luck at all, by Monday or Tuesday we'll have an idea who the culprit is."
Feeney said the company has still not been able to tell her why they were not able to help her the first time she called.
"I'm not exactly sure why they couldn't tell me," she said. "Everyone is just trying to cover their behinds I think."
The medical information, which Equifax specifically says in its privacy policy that it will not disclose, has been on her credit report since 2011. That information has likely done damage to her reputation with anyone who accessed the report, she said.
"My credit used to be pristine," Feeney said. "Not now."
Equifax public relations and communications manager Tom Carroll said the company continues to investigate the matter but would not comment on the case when contacted Friday.
Feeney has filed a complaint with the federal privacy commissioner and that investigation has begun, he confirmed.

Equifax fixing leak of woman's private medical info | Home | Toronto Sun

Imagine that! And all it took was for the complainant to bring the story to the attention of national media, forcing her to increase the public display of her private information, in order to get action on their error.

I hope the privacy commission investigation is fruitful and that real change is put in place so this doesn't happen to anybody else.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Some AB health workers were disciplined for accessing health records of people they knew -

Elder

Electoral Member
Jan 15, 2011
New Westminster, BC, CA
Equifax fixing leak of woman's private medical info

TORONTO - A Durham Region woman says a credit reporting company that violated her privacy by disclosing medical information on her credit report has taken action to correct the problem.
Laura Feeney, a 47-year-old Courtice resident said an Equifax representative told her nothing could be done about removing "post traumatic stress disorder" from the report and that they could not tell her who put the private information on her credit report.
After the Toronto Sun published her story Friday, the firm deleted the information from her report and is working to confirm who placed it there in the first place, she said.
"They are just going to make one more verification," Feeney said, of Equifax's work to track back who put the medical information on the form. "With any luck at all, by Monday or Tuesday we'll have an idea who the culprit is."
Feeney said the company has still not been able to tell her why they were not able to help her the first time she called.
"I'm not exactly sure why they couldn't tell me," she said. "Everyone is just trying to cover their behinds I think."
The medical information, which Equifax specifically says in its privacy policy that it will not disclose, has been on her credit report since 2011. That information has likely done damage to her reputation with anyone who accessed the report, she said.
"My credit used to be pristine," Feeney said. "Not now."
Equifax public relations and communications manager Tom Carroll said the company continues to investigate the matter but would not comment on the case when contacted Friday.
Feeney has filed a complaint with the federal privacy commissioner and that investigation has begun, he confirmed.

Equifax fixing leak of woman's private medical info | Home | Toronto Sun

Imagine that! And all it took was for the complainant to bring the story to the attention of national media, forcing her to increase the public display of her private information, in order to get action on their error.

I hope the privacy commission investigation is fruitful and that real change is put in place so this doesn't happen to anybody else.
Yes, Imagine that. All she had to do is expose it to the media. Thank goodness we have the media. We can to complain about it but in the end if we need something done we just report it to the media and they take it from there, if of course, they deem it newsworthy. Kudos to Ms. Feeney for pursuing this outrageous disclosure if her private issues in credit report. has She as help all of us Canadians.

We had some recent dealings with Equifax ourselves tho not in the same way. I came to view them as a Hidden Monster, sneaky and underhanded. They have untold amounts of information of us such as our SINs, access to our financial facts, and info that should never be in the hands of an organization. We do not know where they store our information what country is handling it. . We do not know who has access to this incredibly personal information and now someone within Equifax is using our medical info!?!?!?!?!

I find this a bit frightening. Perhaps we'd better get our heads out of the sand and find out just exactly who runs Equifax. Where and (what kind) of our information is stored. Who has access with it. And what do they actually do with it?