Windows 'coming to dead end', says tech analyst

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada

Wednesday 17th April, 2013
A top tech website has claimed the PC era is over, and Microsoft Windows is coming to a dead end.
Calling the latest operating system a "failure" and Microsoft's leaders "idiots," ZDNet's well respected Steven J. Vaughn-Nichols pointed out that Metro-interface operating systems have already failed.
Vaughn-Nichols wrote in an essay on the site that 'Microsoft is betting all its chips on the silly notion that Metro will be the one true interface for its entire PC and device line, Idiots'.
According to Fox News, Nichols' perspective was supported by IDC analyst Jay Chou, who told The Wall Street Journal a similar story last week.
Vaugh-Nichols argued that users have responded to an operating system they simply don't want by not buying PCs, turning instead to tablets.
And Windows 8 tablets have yet to catch on in the market, he said.
Windows tablets don't even rate a blip in the 64 billion dollars tablet market, he added .

___________________________________________________________________________________

I,m ok with my window7 .

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
But, Grasshopper; do we not all, finally, come to an end ?:roll:

Confusedus say: Don't hold your thumb up your bum waiting for Windows to tank.

tank you

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It demonstrates how a giant in the industry at one point can barely survive a few years later.
I believe windows will be around for a long time to come.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Wednesday 17th April, 2013
A top tech website has claimed the PC era is over, and Microsoft Windows is coming to a dead end.
Calling the latest operating system a "failure" and Microsoft's leaders "idiots," ZDNet's well respected Steven J. Vaughn-Nichols pointed out that Metro-interface operating systems have already failed.
Vaughn-Nichols wrote in an essay on the site that 'Microsoft is betting all its chips on the silly notion that Metro will be the one true interface for its entire PC and device line, Idiots'.
According to Fox News, Nichols' perspective was supported by IDC analyst Jay Chou, who told The Wall Street Journal a similar story last week.
Vaugh-Nichols argued that users have responded to an operating system they simply don't want by not buying PCs, turning instead to tablets.
And Windows 8 tablets have yet to catch on in the market, he said.
Windows tablets don't even rate a blip in the 64 billion dollars tablet market, he added .

___________________________________________________________________________________

I,m ok with my window7 .

:roll: Ya right. :roll:

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
It demonstrates how a giant in the industry at one point can barely survive a few years later.
I believe windows will be around for a long time to come.

I agree. Considering that its platform is in almost every computer that is not Apple, I'd say they're doing pretty good.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I agree. Considering that its platform is in almost every computer that is not Apple, I'd say they're doing pretty good.

The issue is that the dynamic is shifting. While Windows is the defacto standard on desktops (nobody else is even close), people are moving away from desktops and onto laptops and moreso tablets. Microsoft has been unable to make a dent in the tablet market. That market is owned by Apple and Android. So as the shift happens more and more, Microsoft loses share.

They will likely be around for quite some time but with less relevance. Happens to most tech companies. Eventually we will be saying the same thing about Google and Apple.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The issue is that the dynamic is shifting. While Windows is the defacto standard on desktops (nobody else is even close), people are moving away from desktops and onto laptops and moreso tablets. Microsoft has been unable to make a dent in the tablet market. That market is owned by Apple and Android. So as the shift happens more and more, Microsoft loses share.

They will likely be around for quite some time but with less relevance. Happens to most tech companies. Eventually we will be saying the same thing about Google and Apple.

I think you have become a member of the Church of Scientology to become a Apple user. Every person I know, including one of my best pals, is a walking talking billboard for this company and gets offended when you criticize them. I call people like this iZombies. I like the tablet concept, but everything I do: Writing, Photography, Artwork, is done on programs that work with Windows, Apple is still overpriced for many consumers and still too incompatible. IMO

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think you have become a member of the Church of Scientology to become a Apple user. Every person I know, including one of my best pals, is a walking talking billboard for this company and gets offended when you criticize them. I call people like this iZombies. I like the tablet concept, but everything I do: Writing, Photography, Artwork, is done on programs that work with Windows, Apple is still overpriced for many consumers and still to incompatible. IMO

My only Apple experience is my iPhone and I do enjoy it. Couldn't see myself using a Mac however.

But if I was to get a tablet, it would not be a Surface ... would likley be an iPad or failing that an Android tablet.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
If you ever use a usb stick to transfer files as simple as photos from a PC to a Mac before the Mac accepts them it leaves some files of its own on the stick and even if you find them and remove them, ever so often when you insert that stick in your pc, it keeps prompting you to check for errors and the only recourse you have is to save your files somewhere, reformat your stick then put the files back on