Pierre Poutine found?? Conservative campaign staffer in Guelph -2011 robocalls affair

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Conservative campaign staffer in Guelph faces charge over 2011 robocalls affair - The Globe and Mail

Point The PM upon advice from Elections Canada plans to increase the fines / jail time for certain offenses.

Michael Sona charged in robocalls scandal | Canadian Politics | Canada | News | National Post

Conservative campaign worker Sona charged in robocall probe - Canada - CBC News

Elections Canada has filed a charge against a former Conservative official in relation to the 2011 election robocall controversy in the riding of Guelph, Ont.

In a statement, the director of communications in the local Conservative campaign, Michael Sona, suggested that he was not responsible for the controversial robocalls that directed voters to the wrong polling station. The calls falsely said they were from Elections Canada.

“Although the charge is disappointing, it represents an opportunity for Mr. Sona to finally address the allegations in a court as opposed to in the media and resolve it permanently,” Mr. Sona’s lawyer, Norm Boxall, said in a statement.

“I cannot help but comment, that if the government was interested in the public being fully informed and the issue of robocalls being properly addressed, a full public inquiry would be called, rather than a charge laid against a single individual who held a junior position on a single campaign and who clearly lacked the resources and access to the data required to make the robocalls.”

Elections Canada has refused to confirm that a charge have been laid.

In a statement, Fred DeLorey, director of communications for the Conservative Party of Canada, denied any involvement by the party. "We are pleased that Elections Canada’s work has progressed to this point.

"The Conservative Party of Canada ran a clean and ethical campaign and does not tolerate such activity. The Party was not involved with these calls and those that were will not play a role in any future campaign."

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Was he?

Do you have a link to all the evidence?

This I believe is what lead to his dramatic capture. The final 2 pieces of critical evidence- 7000 calls.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I guess who ever hung him out to dry isn't though eh, lol.

PC Bear is PC when his party of choice is at risk.

In any case, we have to ask what seems more likely - that this guy did it or that it came from higher powers within the CPC group?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
PC Bear is PC when his party of choice is at risk.

In any case, we have to ask what seems more likely - that this guy did it or that it came from higher powers within the CPC group?
Why is it you guys hate due process when it ain't your hero's on the docket?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It will be interesting when the Crown presents their evidence.
It will? The CPC has already been convicted.

The ideologue are already freshening up the gallows for the CPC.

I don't think the ideologues need no stinkin' evidence to fill them, lol.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It will? The CPC has already been convicted.

The ideologue are already freshening up the gallows for the CPC.

I don't think the ideologues need no stinkin' evidence to fill them, lol.

Me I wait for the trial. It and the evidence will be public then. We can begin to form an opinion. Not a firm one, just the start of one.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
What a joke

So one guy is getting the blame for a coordinated scam that affected non-conservatives voters in as many as 200 ridings across Canada. If we don't get an independent inquiry into Robogate then we don't really have democracy in Canada.

Michael Sona Charged By Elections Canada In Connection To Robocall Scandal

"I cannot help but comment, that if the government was interested in the public being fully informed and the issue of robocalls being properly addressed, a full public inquiry would be called, rather than a charge laid against a single individual who held a junior position on a single campaign and who clearly lacked the resources and access to the data required to make the robocalls," he said.

What about the fact that Andrew Prescott was linked to the scandal.

Robocalls linked to Guelph Tory campaign worker's computer - Politics - CBC News

Elections Canada has traced a computer from the Conservative campaign in Guelph, Ont., to the account that paid for robocalls that falsely directed voters to the wrong polling station in the last federal election.

Newly released court documents show investigator Al Mathews traced a PayPal account used to pay for the robocalls to the same IP address as a computer used by Andrew Prescott, the deputy campaign manager in the riding.

What about the fact the calls were based on conservative complied lists of non-supporters across the country.

Former Tory staffer becomes first person charged in robo-calls probe - The Globe and Mail

The controversy involves more than 6,000 robo-calls designed to send non-Conservative supporters to the wrong polling station on election day in the Ontario riding of Guelph using a list compiled by the Conservative Party.

This was Canada wide, not just in Guelph, this is as big a cover-up as Tricky "Richard" and Watergate. Harper should resign for not effectively investigating Robogate, let alone for being leader of a party that engaged in widespread illegal campaigning.