State Trooper Fired for Not Writing a Ticket

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
A state highway trooper has lost his job over a traffic ticket he didn't write, and now his fight has sparked a wider dispute over who gets preferential treatment for enforcing the law on the road. It began last November when Florida Highway Patrol trooper Charles Swindle stopped state Congressman Charles McBurney for doing 87 mph in a 70 mph zone. McBurney was driving with a license plate identifying him as a state lawmaker; after checking with his sergeant, Swindle told McBurney "I'm cutting you a break" and cited him only for lacking proof of insurance — a $10 ticket rather than a $280 one that McBurney could have faced.

According to Florida state investigators, Swindle told the dispatcher “I’m going to write (McBurney) a warning and be nice; I’m going to stroke him ’cause I didn’t see his insurance card."

But the episode bothered McBurney (who denied going 87 mph) so much that he wrote to Swindle's superiors on legislature letterhead, complaining that Swindle was favoring state officials. "If those who enforce our laws fail to meet the highest ethical standards, there is erosion of that confidence," McBurney wrote.

That letter launched an internal investigation, and two weeks ago, Swindle was fired for "conduct unbecoming a public employee."

And now Swindle and his attorney have appealed his dismissal, contending the Florida Highway Patrol has an unwritten policy of letting state lawmakers off easy at traffic stops to avoid trouble come budget-writing time.
If McBurney is going to complain about getting special treatment, then why is he driving around with a with a license plate identifying him as a state lawmaker?
So who's right and who's wrong in this case? What do you think?

State Trooper Fired Because Why?!?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Well I have had a cop give me a break on a given day, discretion is the discretion
of the officer. Had he given me one well that was fine too but he didn't.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think when it comes to writing out tickets and issuing fines, we need to leave some discretion in the hands of the officer. An infraction is an infraction but everybody deserves a break now and then.

I'm supposing his sergeant was also fired since the patrolman conferred with him prior to giving him a break on the ticket?

And this lawmaker, who is stupid enough to complain when they don't get a ticket but only a warning? He should get a stupidity fine.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I think when it comes to writing out tickets and issuing fines, we need to leave some discretion in the hands of the officer. An infraction is an infraction but everybody deserves a break now and then.

I'm supposing his sergeant was also fired since the patrolman conferred with him prior to giving him a break on the ticket?

And this lawmaker, who is stupid enough to complain when they don't get a ticket but only a warning? He should get a stupidity fine.

Bet he is up for election soon. Playing the I am the same as you card.