Former Alberta Premier Ralph Klein dies at 70

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Ralph Klein, former Alberta premier, dies at 70 | Canadian Politics | Canada | News | National Post

Underneath the quick wit and the brash persona, Ralph Klein was shy.

That’s not what most people will remember, of course, not about “King Ralph.” His admirers will remember his compassion and his common touch. They’ll point to the stifling debt he slew. His critics will memorialize the former Alberta premier, while noting what he had to cut from the public service to get there.

But Alan Hallman, Mr. Klein’s former campaign manager, said the thing to remember is that the province’s iconic populist premier was a bit uncertain around new people.

“When he would go into rooms, he would go a lot to the people that he knew because it was comfortable,” he said.

Mr. Klein, who died in hospital after a long illness Friday at the age of 70, had the uncanny charisma that naturally shy people sometimes affect, Mr. Hallman said.

“He would turn on going into rooms. You could sit in the car with him and he was very quiet. Then, going into a room he could turn it on and off on a dime, but it was also genuine. He had a genuine concern about Albertans.”

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
He was a radio talk show host in Calgary and ran for mayor as a joke hoping to get the others that were running to adopt some of the ideas of his listeners. He woke up the day after the elections and read in the papers that he had won and he was the new mayor he made his job easy by listening to the voters as it should be RIP Ralph

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Far too young for such a great man! R.I.P. Ralph.

As they say I recollect a story i had heard about when Ralph was a reporter in Calgary- writing on City Council. Guess he used to sneak in ahead of Council Meeting and would hide and I am not sure on this, in the closet or the room next door. They all wondered how he had scoop after scoop on the goings on at City Hall.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
He sometimes behaved like Don Cherry and other times he had a heart as big as
all outdoors. Some loved him some loved to hate him. I chose neither but I did
respect him. Ralph listened to the people he didn't always do as they wanted but
he did listen. He also knew when it was time to leave public life and that has to be
respected too.
RIP Ralph somehow even with your antics you still rose to the level of Statesman
and that route was not an easy one.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Alberta was blessed with two great Premiers - Peter Lougheed and Ralph Klein. Though very different in character, both men cared deeply about their province and worked hard in service of it and its citizens. RIP, Ralph and my condolences to his family.