Italy court orders Amanda Knox retrial for Meredith Kercher murder

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Italy court orders Amanda Knox retrial for Meredith Kercher murder

Italy’s top court on Tuesday overturned the 2011 acquittal of American student Amanda Knox and her former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito for the murder of Briton Meredith Kercher, and ordered a retrial.
The decision by the Court of Cassation is a new twist to a long-running case whose initial handling was sharply criticised by independent forensic experts.
Prosecutors accused Knox and Sollecito of killing Kercher in 2007 during a drug-fuelled sexual assault.
The two were initially found guilty and sentenced to 26 and 25 years in prison respectively after a trial that grabbed headlines all over the world.
In 2011, their convictions were overturned after forensic investigators challenged police scientific evidence, saying there had been multiple errors in the investigation. Knox and Sollecito were released after serving four years in prison.
A third person, Ivorian Rudy Guede, was found guilty and sentenced to 16 years in a separate trial. He is now the only person serving time for the murder, although prosecutors say he could not have killed Kercher by himself.

Last year, prosecutors filed a motion to appeal against the acquittals, calling the verdicts “contradictory and illogical”.
Italy’s top appeal court made the ruling on Tuesday after examining whether there were procedural irregularities which gave grounds for a retrial, rather than assessing the details of the case. Its reasons will be announced later.
The new trial will be held before a court in Florence.
Kercher, a student at Leeds University, was 21 when she died.
Knox returned to her Seattle-area home after she was released from prison in Italy and had been scheduled to speak publicly about the trial for the first time on American television in April, when her book about the case is due to be released.

Italy court orders Amanda Knox retrial for Meredith Kercher murder - World - Canoe.ca

This is like the never ending story, crime and punishment version.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
There's a dog with a fluffy tail. I wonder what it's name is?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I didn't realize Italy had such a dumb legal system. If I were her I'd tell them to stuff their kangaroo court where the sun doesn't shine.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Perhaps you should rephrase your comment. I don't think anyone (anyone in their right mind anyway) would agree or consent to being sexually assaulted or murdered!

It was sarcasm, based on a different discussion recently had in a different thread. Don't think too poorly of him for it. Many posters here have a bad habit of carrying arguments from one thread to the next.
Welcome to Canadian Content :)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Perhaps you should rephrase your comment. I don't think anyone (anyone in their right mind anyway) would agree or consent to being sexually assaulted or murdered!
Weeeelllll. . . if you consent, it ain't sexual assault, it's just sex.

Fun Fact of the Day: In common-law systems such as the UK, Canada, and the US (among others), you cannot consent to your own homicide. Which is where Dr. Kevorkian ran afoul of the law.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The Italian Judicial System is stumbling all over themselves on this. It is preposterous to think they are going to extradite her.

Maybe they miss her at the jail?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The Italian Judicial System is stumbling all over themselves on this. It is preposterous to think they are going to extradite her.

Maybe they miss her at the jail?

They'll try her in absentia, I'm sure. I really didn't follow that whole trial, I have no idea if she's guilty or not guilty, but I have come to the conclusion, pretty much just from this article alone, that the Italian legal system seems to be quite the farce.

Actually I do recall hearing some reports of her behaving "weird" when they were initially questioning her which is I'm sure what made them suspicious of her in the first place. But I will also never forget how many times I heard that same thing about Guy Paul Morin as well, and eventually he was proven innocent.