Utah man, 22, falls to his death trying to swing through opening of 33-metre-tall roc

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Utah man, 22, falls to his death trying to swing through opening of 33-metre-tall rock arch | World | News | National Post

SALT LAKE CITY — A 22-year-old man was killed trying to swing through the opening of a 33-meter-tall sandstone arch in a stunt made so popular on YouTube that state authorities recently banned the daredevil activity by commercial outfitters.

Kyle Lee Stocking left too much slack in the rope he was using, and it sent him crashing into the sandstone base of Corona Arch near Moab, Grand County sheriff’s officials said. He died Sunday afternoon.

Viral videos have bolstered the activity, which involves swinging wildly from ropes through arch and canyon openings. One video titled “World’s Largest Rope Swing” has racked up more than 17 million views on YouTube since it was posted in February.

“Pendulum” swinging is a relatively new form of recreation in Utah’s canyon lands, which see plenty of injuries and deaths from rock climbing and BASE jumping, which involves leaping from a fixed object with a parachute. On March 13, another man, Zachery Taylor, was killed rappelling at Tear Drop Arch in Utah’s Monument Valley

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yep, it's all fun and games until somebody dies a horrible death while performing a fun but life threatening stunt. You know, I get adrenaline, I get the challenge of pushing your body to it's limits, but the part I don't get is risking your life for fun. I just don't get it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Yep, it's all fun and games until somebody dies a horrible death while performing a fun but life threatening stunt. You know, I get adrenaline, I get the challenge of pushing your body to it's limits, but the part I don't get is risking your life for fun. I just don't get it.

He slammed into the canyon floor - Rope was to long. Dumb, pure ffn dumb.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Darwin must be spinning in his grave.

Heard this when I was in the Army- Soldier goes to the QM- Quarter-Master Stores for a length of rope- say 30 ft. Back in that day we used to arm length it and always give extra as they never could measure right.
So the Supply Technician gives the Soldier his rope and some extra as we never did want them coming back saying I needed it 10 feet longer.

Meanwhile later that evening this Soldier goes to a base facility which was empty, climbs into the rafters with the rope.

Ties a noose for himself and places it on his neck, tightens it up and the other tied to the rafter.

He then jumps.

And bounced I would say as he had received more rope than needed. He ended up with splattered on the floor, broken bones, could not move and screaming all to hell. He lived.

Another life saved by a Supply Technician in the Military- Yes I was a Supply Tech.
Not that one though.

Last edited: