Clueless CNN reporters are shocked at rape coverage backlash

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
For those that don't know what happened, two high school football players who raped a drunk and unconscious 16 year old and posted pictures and video of the crime on the internet were convicted. The CNN reporters Candy Crowley and Poppy Harlow reported unusually with sympathy for the convicted, sparing no words for the victim. Harlow was reporting live from outside the courthouse, and commented on the emotional breakdown of the young men whose lives were destroyed. Anchor Crowley, then followed up with expert on the lasting effects the conviction would have on the young men, lamenting the fact that the convicted might have to be added to the Sex Offender Registry. She had her own rape face plant as well, reminiscent of Todd Akin's "legitimate rape" comment, by calling the crime that was committed "essentially rape".

CNN wasn't the only network feeling the heat. CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, and a CBC affiliate have come under fire for failing to protect the identity of the rape victim.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't know guys, from what's available, other than filming it and posting it online, how many of you guys can say you've never had a drunken romp?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I don't know guys, from what's available, other than filming it and posting it online, how many of you guys can say you've never had a drunken romp?

I have been right out of it and still able to romp. Well used to anyways.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
In the old days I did have a few drunken times however I was never involved in something
vile like this. There was no excuse for this behaviour they deserve lengthy prison terms and
be added to the sexual abusers list for life. I have no sympathy for them at all.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

I've had drunken romps, but I've never transported an unconscious girl from one party to the next while taking advantage of her unconsciousness. That's just wrong, and where I come from you're very likely going to get hurt, and very likely very badly. Though high school athletics in my home town isn't as big as football in the US.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I've had drunken romps, but I've never transported an unconscious girl from one party to the next while taking advantage of her unconsciousness. That's just wrong, and where I come from you're very likely going to get hurt, and very likely very badly. Though high school athletics in my home town isn't as big as football in the US.
Hey, don't get me wrong, they definitely crossed a line, but you do realize they were convicted because they tried to 'finger' her, right?

I don't know what condition she was in when that occurred.

At least that's what I got from the write up on the verdict.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I know some guys who pulled a stunt like this. Friends of my brother. My brother said when he left the party they were at, the girl in question already couldn't talk. She had friends with her though, and he didn't know her, and he didn't think twice... his buddies were good guys, right?. Apparently her friends ditched her, and after she passed out, the guys decided they'd have sex with her. Three or four guys. And she never said no, so no problem right?

This one never made it to court. She was the daughter of a Hell's Angel big wig in that particular city. One of the guys involved nearly didn't survive his beat down, the other one I know hasn't stopped running since. Four years since he's been home. He doesn't dare.

Hey, don't get me wrong, they definitely crossed a line, but you do realize they were convicted because they tried to 'finger' her, right?

I really am not in the mood to go read the details of someone's rape today. There are days where I just can't.

But I have to ask you about this.... did they not succeed? How do you 'try' to 'finger' someone?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

I don't know what condition she was in when that occurred.

At least that's what I got from the write up on the verdict.

The uproar is the reporters were all concerned about the boys life ahead and nothing about the girls state of mind and emotional health.
This girl has received threats of violence and I think death was also mentioned.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I really am not in the mood to go read the details of someone's rape today. There are days where I just can't.
You know me, you know I love reading court transcripts, but I can assure, I hate reading those kind of briefs on a good day, I hear you.

But I have to ask you about this.... did they not succeed? How do you 'try' to 'finger' someone?
Don't know, it's pretty vague. The article I just read on the decision just said 'tried'.

The uproar is the reporters were all concerned about the boys life ahead and nothing about the girls state of mind and emotional health.
This girl has received threats of violence and I think death was also mentioned.
Ya, i got all that.

What do they know that we don't, if anything?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I was reading online the other day that they've charged two girls from the high school for making threats I guess, can't remember the wording, but it amounts to spreading gossip/lies/innuendo about the girl and regarding the rape.

And the biggest furor I've seen, although I've not delved too much into it, was the town itself (school admin, the city/town officials, the police) were accused of looking the other way because the entire scene involved some local football heroes.

So it's been "that kind of a case" from the get go.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I was reading online the other day that they've charged two girls from the high school for making threats I guess, can't remember the wording, but it amounts to spreading gossip/lies/innuendo about the girl and regarding the rape.

And the biggest furor I've seen, although I've not delved too much into it, was the town itself (school admin, the city/town officials, the police) were accused of looking the other way because the entire scene involved some local football heroes.

So it's been "that kind of a case" from the get go.

It has been getting much worse for the girl. Seems that the football coach was aware and did nothing. Under the law in that State he is required to. The Attorney General stated he is not done and more charges may be forthcoming.
Steubenville Rape Trial: Attorney General Mike DeWine Says Investigation Could Yield More Charges

COLUMBUS, Ohio — The head football coach at Steubenville High School and the owners of a house where an infamous 12-minute video was filmed could be investigated as Ohio prosecutors look into how adults responded to allegations of rape last year.

One day after a judge convicted two high school football players of raping the 16-year-old girl in August, Steubenville's top official said she welcomed a new, wide-ranging probe into possible wrongdoing connected with the rape.

The announcement of the guilty verdict was barely an hour old Sunday when state Attorney General Mike DeWine said he was continuing his investigation and would consider charges against anyone who failed to speak up after the summertime attack. That group could include other teens, parents, school officials and coaches for the high school's beloved football team, which has won nine state championships.

Authorities also said they won't put up with people harassing the accuser and took action Monday to prove it, arresting two girls suspected of threatening her well-being in Facebook and Twitter comments Sunday. The Jefferson County girls, ages 15 and 16, were being held in juvenile detention, Steubenville police Capt. Joel Walker said.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You know me, you know I love reading court transcripts, but I can assure, I hate reading those kind of briefs on a good day, I hear you.

Don't know, it's pretty vague. The article I just read on the decision just said 'tried'.

I guess I just found it an odd statement because here if you 'try' to stick something in a woman, it doesn't really matter what it was you tried to stick in her. There's no legally acceptable range of things you can violate a woman with. So, 'tried' to 'finger', seems like a major attempt at minimizing what happened in light of them 'actually' being convicted of rape.

Either they violated her, or they didn't. And what they did it with seems pretty irrelevant. And yes, I have a hard time believing they were somehow unsuccessful in being able to do what they were 'trying' to do.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I guess I just found it an odd statement because here if you 'try' to stick something in a woman, it doesn't really matter what it was you tried to stick in her. There's no legally acceptable range of things you can violate a woman with. So, 'tried' to 'finger', seems like a major attempt at minimizing what happened in light of them 'actually' being convicted of rape.

Either they violated her, or they didn't. And what they did it with seems pretty irrelevant. And yes, I have a hard time believing they were somehow unsuccessful in being able to do what they were 'trying' to do.
Well, you mix that with everyone was drunk and the attitude of many, and I keep getting more questions.

Just saying, something smells funny here.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
In my experience, the larger the number of participants who took part in or excused a crime, the more a community will try to rally to protect the largest number of kids possible.

What's one girl compared to the many kids who saw, excused, viewed, or participated in, the rape and its ensuing video and photos?

If you say it was rape, suddenly half your student body are rapists/criminals.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
In my experience, the larger the number of participants who took part in or excused a crime, the more a community will try to rally to protect the largest number of kids possible.

What's one girl compared to the many kids who saw, excused, viewed, or participated in, the rape and its ensuing video and photos?

If you say it was rape, suddenly half your student body are rapists/criminals.
But only two are taking the brunt of the punishment.

Something else that smells.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Only two were put on trial at the same time, presumably because they were in 'control' of her all night. But that doesn't mean charges won't come for others involved, in fact one article states that there will be more charges coming.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

If I recall 3 involved were given immunity for testifying. . Karrie's point is valid about the numbers, how people will react when it is a large group, small town who loves their football team.
So what smell are you getting? That the girl was aware, was not as drunk as stated, that she is lying???

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If I recall 3 involved were given immunity for testifying. . Karrie's point is valid about the numbers, how people will react when it is a large group, small town who loves their football team.
I said nothing to the contrary.

So what smell are you getting?
It smells odd Goob's. That is all.