Group to petition Richmond, B.C., to police Chinese language signs in city

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
why do you say that? Richmond hasn't imposed a language law. Just because 1000 people out of a population of over 200k are whining doesn't mean Richmond will.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
why do you say that? Richmond hasn't imposed a language law. Just because 1000 people out of a population of over 200k are whining doesn't mean Richmond will.

True enough.

I wasn't aware Chinese was an official language

Neither were English or French until they were.

Also, should an official language not suggest a language for official purposes? I hardly call grocery shopping or eating at a restaurant to be 'official'.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
True enough.

Neither were English or French until they were.

Also, should an official language not suggest a language for official purposes? I hardly call grocery shopping or eating at a restaurant to be 'official'.
What do you call it for Emergency Service people who'd have to translate to know if they're at the right place?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
There are, as Starchuk indicates, neighbourhoods and blocks of commercial districts with Chinese-only si

I think the 1000 have a point. Why should signs be only in Chinese in an English speaking country. I can see multi-language but why just in Chinese even if over half the population is Chinese how do they even decide upon which Chinese language to place upon the sign. It's dangerous.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
check out how this article ends: But do we really want to see 'language police' in other parts of Canada?

Then I guess I do because I don't want to see signs in every language known to man just according to who lives in the area. Keep them consistent. I don't mind if they have signs up common to the neighbourhood but they should be in English too.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
So, this was just another of your troll threads then. Glad to know.

No. I'd used bad wording. I should have said specific residents and not the city. Sloppy wording. I'm so sorry. But I'm glad to see you're still your usual cheerful self.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I have to say there should be mandatory English signage. It is the same thing around Scott Rd on the Surrey/Delta border, all the signs are in Hindi with no English present.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
That's the number on the door and the street name, not the shop sign.
Never been on the job, eh? It's not the most visible thing - even in English - but Frank's Meats looks like Frank's Meats. What does Yuck Foo Chinese Eatery look like? Not everyone who calls 911 knows the address - especially in a second storey establishment

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Quite frankly I could care less what language a sign is in chances are many of the
shops that don't speak English will not get my business anyway. Not because I
would boycott them, but because if I can't get service in English I would be able to
communicate with them.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I think the 1000 have a point. Why should signs be only in Chinese in an English speaking country.

Statistically, not even 80% of Canadians know English. Most don't know it in Quebec. About 15% don't know it in Nunavut. So who defines the country's language?

I can see multi-language but why just in Chinese even if over half the population is Chinese how do they even decide upon which Chinese language to place upon the sign.

I guess it's in Chinese only for the same reason so many signs are in English only; the owner did not feel a comercial need to include any other language.

It's dangerous.

How so?

Never been on the job, eh? It's not the most visible thing - even in English - but Frank's Meats looks like Frank's Meats. What does Yuck Foo Chinese Eatery look like? Not everyone who calls 911 knows the address - especially in a second storey establishment

Then we could also argue it the other way: what about the Chinese who can't read the English-language sign?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
check out how this article ends: But do we really want to see 'language police' in other parts of Canada?

Then I guess I do because I don't want to see signs in every language known to man just according to who lives in the area. Keep them consistent. I don't mind if they have signs up common to the neighbourhood but they should be in English too.

Why?

I have to say there should be mandatory English signage. It is the same thing around Scott Rd on the Surrey/Delta border, all the signs are in Hindi with no English present.

why?

Quite frankly I could care less what language a sign is in chances are many of the
would boycott them, but because if I can't get service in English I would be able to
communicate with them.

exactly, but it appears there will always be those bigoted dipshytes that would prefer to impose their own bigoted will upon others.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Statistically, not even 80% of Canadians know English. Most don't know it in Quebec. About 15% don't know it in Nunavut.
80% of Canadians don't know English? Really! 8O No you pulled that out of the air.... According to the 2011 census, English and French are the mother tongues of 56.9% and 21.3% of Canadians respectively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Canada#cite_note-Highlights-4Give me the link please for the 80%.

So who defines the country's language?
Our official languages are French and English. If you are not willing to learn either official language why even move to Canada?: Under the Canadian Constitution, the federal government has both English and French as its official languages in respect of all government services, including the courts, and all federal legislation is enacted bilingually. New Brunswick is the only Canadian province that has both English and French as its official languages to the same extent, with constitutional entrenchment.

Any comments?

I guess it's in Chinese only for the same reason so many signs are in English only; the owner did not feel a comercial need to include any other language.
yet our official languages are English and French so I guess there needs to be some adjusting done.

Then we could also argue it the other way: what about the Chinese who can't read the English-language sign?
This is the country they have chosen as their new home. If I were moving to Brazil I would be damn certain that I was working on learning to speak, read and write Portuguese. Wouldn't you, or do they have to adjust to me?

Are you studying Chinese? or if you move, you will have to study Italian or wait maybe Arabic, or hm, this area speaks Spanish.. how is that going to work? Explain please.

Our official languages are French and English. If you are not willing to learn either official language why even move to Canada?: Under the Canadian Constitution, the federal government has both English and French as its official languages in respect of all government services, including the courts, and all federal legislation is enacted bilingually. New Brunswick is the only Canadian province that has both English and French as its official languages to the same extent, with constitutional entrenchment.

communicate with them.
Most likely do speak English and often they have product that your regular grocery stores do not stock.

exactly, but it appears there will always be those bigoted dipshytes that would prefer to impose their own bigoted will upon others.
yeah don't shop there gerry because they don't speak ENGLISH... oh the irony is sweet.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I would like to remind all that recent changes to our immigration law require the persons to be literate in either one of our official languages. I don't support Harper on a lot of things but this is one that I do. If you want to live in this country you had better learn the common language of the area and to me that includes signs on your businesses.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Just arrived back from an afternoon's cycling around Richmond-for those of you who don't know it's flat as a pancake and easy on the knees.

The worst part of Richmond for Chinese language signs is along #3 Road and as it happens it's also the most atrocious past of the whole Lower Rainland-a butt ugly concrete jungle of the most unflattering type-and the Chinese love it the place swarms with them.

They are a unique people-twice I have seen young men of less than half my age take their bicycles on Canada Line Skytrain for two whole stops rather than cycle on the dedicated pathway.

So maybe it's best to leave the Chinese happy in their little ghetto.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Any comments?

yet our official languages are English and French so I guess there needs to be some adjusting done.

This is the country they have chosen as their new home. If I were moving to Brazil I would be damn certain that I was working on learning to speak, read and write Portuguese. Wouldn't you, or do they have to adjust to me?

Are you studying Chinese? or if you move, you will have to study Italian or wait maybe Arabic, or hm, this area speaks Spanish.. how is that going to work? Explain please.

Most likely do speak English and often they have product that your regular grocery stores do not stock.

I live in a multi cultural Country. One where new comers can keep their native language and culture. If they so wish to open a shop with signage in their native tongue only, no skin off my a$$. That's the nice thing about this great Country. They are free to market to the clientele that they want. So, I sure as hell hope I don't live to see the bigots get their way and turn this great Country into a white wash.

yeah don't shop there gerry because they don't speak ENGLISH... oh the irony is sweet.

roflmao, that's right, I have the right to decide where I shop and where I don't shop. The same as the shop owners have the right to use what ever language they wish in their signage. There is no irony. I've shopped No 3 Road and the malls on either side. This would include shops that I couldn't read what the shop was. I went in and looked. It's not me WHINING about the signage not being in english or french. I couldn't care one way or the other. Personally, I find that the different languages add to Canada's culture.