Parents of British man killed by US drone blame UK government

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
What am I missing here? While I feel sorry for the parents, I think junior sounds shady as hell.

The parents of a British-born man killed by a US drone strike after being stripped of his UK citizenship have spoken out for the first time – to say they will never forgive the British Government for his death.
Mohamed Sakr was born and brought up in London before he was targeted and killed in February 2012 in Somalia.
Now his Egyptian-born parents Gamal and Eman Sakr, who have lived in Britain for 35 years, have accused ministers of betraying this country’s democratic values.
Speaking to the Bureau of Investigative Journalism from their London home, the couple said they believe their son was left vulnerable to the attack after the government stripped him of his British citizenship months before he was killed.
“This is the hardest time we have ever come across in our family life,’ Mr Sakr said in tears. “I’ll never stop blaming the British government for what they did to my son. They broke my family’s back.”

Parents of British man killed by US drone blame UK government: The Bureau of Investigative Journalism

In February 2009 Berjawi and Sakr visited Kenya for what they told their families was a ‘safari’.
Both were detained in Nairobi, where they were said to have been interrogated by British intelligence officials. The authorities suspected them of terrorism-related activities.
They were released and only deported back to the UK because both, at that time, still had their British citizenship

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
What you are missing is a huge breach of British Common Law and a severe violation of Human rights. It has nothing to do with his passport at all...the man had a British birth certificate, that is all he ever needs to claim his British citizenship and it can NEVER be taken away by anyone, especially some elected minister acting outside the constitutional boundaries. From what I read this family should launch a multi-billion dollar lawsuit against the govt and Theresa May as an individual for gross violations of human & civil rights and wrongful death.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
What you are missing is a huge breach of British Common Law and a severe violation of Human rights. It has nothing to do with his passport at all...the man had a British birth certificate, that is all he ever needs to claim his British citizenship and it can NEVER be taken away by anyone, especially some elected minister acting outside the constitutional boundaries. From what I read this family should launch a multi-billion dollar lawsuit against the govt and Theresa May as an individual for gross violations of human & civil rights and wrongful death.

He went to play with the big boys. Are you surprised that a Country withdraws a passport of a person associated with terror. And Somalia is not on any tourist hot spots to visit.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
He went to play with the big boys. Are you surprised that a Country withdraws a passport of a person associated with terror. And Somalia is not on any tourist hot spots to visit.

You miss the point Goober. They can revoke his passport all they want, he has a British birth certificate so they cannot revoke his citizenship and have no choice but to allow him to enter the country. His citizenship is his birthright and cannot be revoked for any reason under the British constitution or the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

The govt is making so huge legal errors here in order to play politics and they should have to pay the price for doing it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
You miss the point Goober. They can revoke his passport all they want, he has a British birth certificate so they cannot revoke his citizenship and have no choice but to allow him to enter the country. His citizenship is his birthright and cannot be revoked for any reason under the British constitution or the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

The govt is making so huge legal errors here in order to play politics and they should have to pay the price for doing it.

Dual citizen- he could have asked for an Egyptian Passport- Or to a British Embassy and asked for travel document to return to the UK.
They revoked his passport. And legally at that.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
As for drones? I hope they kill every single one of these people who promote
engage in or train others for that purpose. I don't care if they are Canadian or
British or American if they are there working against out interests they are traitors
and deserve no mercy what so ever.
Drone are working just fine thank you. Saves putting boots on the ground and
kills without them even knowing its coming until its too late.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
engage in or train others for that purpose. I don't care if they are Canadian or
British or American if they are there working against out interests they are traitors

And who decides who gets killed? I dont mind them taking out terrorists either. But who decides these things? And where is the accountability when they kill civilians? So far there hasnt been any of that. You cant kill a bunch of civilians and say you're trying to take out terrorists. Killing civilians with drones IS terrorism.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
And who decides who gets killed? I dont mind them taking out terrorists either. But who decides these things? And where is the accountability when they kill civilians? So far there hasnt been any of that. You cant kill a bunch of civilians and say you're trying to take out terrorists. Killing civilians with drones IS terrorism.

Same thing happens in a war.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
If working against our interests is the criteria for drone attacks, then we should order an attack on the parliament buildings. They only look after corporate interests and the citizens be damned (unless our interests do not conflict with those of the corporations).

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
They are at war with Terror groups.
That's nice and commendable, but what evidence is there that the kids were terrorists? Or was the UK just guessing that they were?
Like Cliffy pointed out, the gov'ts could be considered as being terrorists considering that they could take care of homeless people, maintain the healthcare system, etc. better than they do but won't. People live in fear of getting sick or injured, for instance. People live in fear of ending up being homeless. Certainly, civilians live in fear of being attacked by drones sent by gov'ts on a whim.

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
That's nice and commendable, but what evidence is there that the kids were terrorists? Or was the UK just guessing that hey were?

I do not know. Do you have evidence they were not?
Somalia is not a tourist stop now is it.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I do not know. Do you have evidence they were not?
Somalia is not a tourist stop now is it.
Really? You would like me to prove a negative? Can you prove you aren't a Martian that simply LOOKS and seems like a human? lol
It may not be a common tourist attraction for non-Moslems, but perhaps there are attractions for Moslems. I can't say without ASSuming one way or another.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Really? You would like me to prove a negative? Can you prove you aren't a Martian that simply LOOKS and seems like a human? lol
It may not be a common tourist attraction for non-Moslems, but perhaps there are attractions for Moslems. I can't say without ASSuming one way or another.

A known terrorist, knows he is on the US hit list. Travels with his family. They are all killed in a drone attack.
Who is responsible for the deaths of his family.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
A known terrorist, knows he is on the US hit list. Travels with his family. They are all killed in a drone attack.
Who is responsible for the deaths of his family.

The person/government controlling the drone.