Are Universities and Free Speech Compatible???

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Not unless you have a leftist (to be polite) view..it seems........

Protesters Prevent MP from Speaking at University of Waterloo

WATERLOO, ON (March 14 2013) – An event with MP Stephen Woodworth at the University of Waterloo yesterday was derailed as protestors shouted down the speaker, preventing Mr. Woodworth from continuing his presentation to the students assembled.

Canadian Content Forums -

Talk By MP Stephen Woodworth Disrupted By Abortion Fanatics - University of Waterloo - YouTube

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
And the left is very proud of that. I had to bite my tongue to not criticize some left leaning friends gloating over it on facebook today.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
FFS! I don't give a damn who's view are what, honestly. But the absolute hypocrisy of standing at a podium and speaking about stifling someone else's speech is beyond stupidity. I so wanted to ask the idiot in the costume who was screaming that the man had 'no right to speak and impose his views on others' just what gave him the right to speak and impose his views on others. Seriously, are young people really that stupid?

These "bright university minds" are embarrassing.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
And what did you think of Security.......doing their job?.....or what..:roll:

You know what? Police and security, they want peace, not justice. Not really. Justice is for the courts. I may not think it's 'morally right' to go along with an angry crowd, but I can absolutely understand their impulse to do so.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Are Universities and Free Speech Compatible???

With the Canadian universities that have been in the spot light in the last few years?

The answer would appear to be no.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The douche dressed as a ****** isn't even a Waterloo student...he's from Wilfred Laurier. And he's a giant douchebag.

To the question, I think they are for the most part. Just so happens that the incidents that do come to light are highly visible-relatively- in the media coverage. Why would anyone write a story about a good debate at a university? Happens all the time, you just don't see it posted to youtube.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
This type of behaviour absolutely disgusts me. Just because you can yell louder than I can, doesn't mean your views or opinion take precedence. I happen to be pro-choice but they way to get through these types of issues is through open dialogue and exchanging ideas, not hiding behind polarized rants and slogans. That this occurred at an "institute of higher learning" is abhorrent: these places are supposed to be where we examine the ideas/issues and have open discussions. Unfortunately, this is not the case and apparently has not been for some time...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The douche dressed as a ****** isn't even a Waterloo student...he's from Wilfred Laurier. And he's a giant douchebag.

To the question, I think they are for the most part. Just so happens that the incidents that do come to light are highly visible-relatively- in the media coverage. Why would anyone write a story about a good debate at a university? Happens all the time, you just don't see it posted to youtube.
I've visited Carlton.

I'll go with that hell hole being the exception, m'kay.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
And the left is very proud of that. I had to bite my tongue to not criticize some left leaning friends gloating over it on facebook today.

Hey, Im pretty leftist and am fine with anyone saying anything. Though I have noticed some students are getting more and more extreme with their views one way or the other.Thats one of the problems with the left/right spectrum. Everyone gets lumped into one or another with the extremists being the loudest.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hey, Im pretty leftist and am fine with anyone saying anything. Though I have noticed some students are getting more and more extreme with their views one way or the other.Thats one of the problems with the left/right spectrum. Everyone gets lumped into one or another with the extremists being the loudest.

I tend to only refer to the extremists as left or right. Everyone else is just people.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Occasionally the masses on this site are just so sensible it restores my faith in mass democracy. :) Everybody gets a greenie.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I've visited Carlton.

I'll go with that hell hole being the exception, m'kay.

Hell hole, I don't know, never been there. Though I do remember a lot of the stuff I have read about universities and freedom of speech in Canada, seems to mention Carleton.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Occasionally the masses on this site are just so sensible it restores my faith in mass democracy. :) Everybody gets a greenie.
CC does have a better class of "Leftists"......for the most part.....
The rest are .........???????..

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

If they do occur, and I hope they do, then that's great. But even just one incident like what happened in that video is one too many. That was absolutely inexcusable.

And he was indeed a giant douchebag.Lol.

I tend to only refer to the extremists as left or right. Everyone else is just people.

I agree.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Looks like this MP was speaking either in his own riding or very close to it. It makes no sense to silence an MP who was speaking to his own constituents.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hell hole, I don't know, never been there. Though I do remember a lot of the stuff I have read about universities and freedom of speech in Canada, seems to mention Carleton.
Far to often.

But if you have any doubts, you really need to experience the place.

WLDB is the exception.