Doctors get "carrot" to practice in rural B.C.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Alberta's had a northern bursary program for years and it's been highly successful. it's not limited to doctors though.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I like the way it is set up.

If they don't stay, they have to pay it back and if they do it would defray part of their educational costs. It's not that much money for us to pay out to encourage service, and it would save lives.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

If they don't stay, they have to pay it back and if they do it would defray part of their educational costs. It's not that much money for us to pay out to encourage service, and it would save lives.
Our town bought a new house to lure a doctor to come here. If he leaves, I guess it will go to the replacement.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
were you okay with the town doing that?
I had no objection. A lot of seniors here that need a doctor. We only had three and one put off retiring until we got a replacement. I avoid doctors. May see one once a year at most.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Our town bought a new house to lure a doctor to come here. If he leaves, I guess it will go to the replacement.

I guess it all depends on who gets title. I'd be in favour of it if the town retains title until the doctor has served 10 years before turning title over to him/her.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Plus you have to consider that northern Alberta is a stone's throw from some of these communities, and we give 96000 in bursaries towards education.

Last edited:

Timetrvlr

Electoral Member
Dec 15, 2005
BC interior
I think it's a great idea! I live in one of those 17 communities and I know that there is a chronic shortage of Doctors here. Most of the new Doctors in town are from South Africa. I suspect this program is a pretty attractive recruiting tool. At any rate, it seems to alleviate the Doctor shortage here.:smile:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Word of advice for BC rural patients.

Stay away from the South Africans!!!

If they send one to your region, MOVE.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
You may as well go see Dr Oetker for better care. They are unqualified and scam artists.
I only see a doctor when I can't figure out the problem myself; they have better diagnostic machines than I do, in some cases. Once I know what the problem is, I can fix it myself.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I only see a doctor when I can't figure out the problem myself; they have better diagnostic machines than I do, in some cases. Once I know what the problem is, I can fix it myself.

I'm not too sure about that Cliffy, I've spent 10 days in hospital since Feb. 17 on two occasions and those guys have a few tricks that most people haven't even thought of. (anyway I'm going to be OK, I take a lot of killing)-:)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I'm not too sure about that Cliffy, I've spent 10 days in hospital since Feb. 17 on two occasions and those guys have a few tricks that most people haven't even thought of. (anyway I'm going to be OK, I take a lot of killing)-:)
I'm happy you survived your ordeal. I have a few tricks up my sleeve too.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm happy you survived your ordeal. I have a few tricks up my sleeve too.
I had an emergency sonogram yesterday.

It's a boy!!!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
wow JLM that's a lot now a days considering they practically shove you out the door three days after quadruple bi-pass so glad you are on the mend. ♦

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
wow JLM that's a lot now a days considering they practically shove you out the door three days after quadruple bi-pass so glad you are on the mend. ♦

I didn't phrase it well, 6 days on the first occasion 4 on the second. Little problem with atrial Fib out of the blue, it's not nearly as serious as a bi-pass but it is a little tricky to treat to get the meds right with a little fine tuning from time to time, not to mention blood thinning and they have to wait awhile to do a cardiac conversion (possibly in a couple of weeks) anyway I'm going to be just fine. Thanks for the kind thought, Sal.