Chris Hadfield - Our Canadian Man in Space

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Rock on Chris.

"If all goes to plan this week, Chris Hadfield will become the first Canadian Commander of the International Space Station when the current Commander, U.S. Astronaut Kevin Ford, heads home on Wednesday. While Hadfield is fond of calling the ISS, “the world’s space station,” and it most definitely is, it’s a pretty big deal for Canadians to have one of our own in the big chair for the very first time. I’m going to guess that it’s an even bigger deal for Hadfield."

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
He was playing his guitar from space and someone else was playing music on the
ground, they played it on CBC this afternoon. He is making himself known.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Chris Hadfield is a hero for young boys everywhere. A jet fighter pilot, a scientist, an astronought, a man who speaks three languages, a musician, and these are just the few things I know.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Chris Hadfield is a hero for young boys everywhere. A jet fighter pilot, a scientist, an astronought, a man who speaks three languages, a musician, and these are just the few things I know.
maybe for young girls too :p

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
awsome, its so good to have heros. The more people show our youth the hard workng, posiive

side of life, 'the more' young people will follow those positive footsteps.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
"In these times of fiscal restraint, NASA has felt the pinch. The shuttles have been retired without replacements. The Orion capsules slated to become America’s next space vehicles may never be built. Last month, on a trip to Florida, I was struck by how sad the locals are about the dismal state of affairs. “I remember the Apollo launches,” a cab driver told me as we passed NASA’s Cape Canaveral facility. “I saw almost every shuttle launch. Now they’re giving tours of the Vehicle Assembly Building instead of building rockets in it!” Indeed.

The problems are similar here. The CSA is without a head. Senior officials complain it’s ignored — at best — by the federal government. And the public doesn’t notice. We’ve had eight other astronauts, but no real space heroes. Before Hadfield, the Canadian space program was best known for a robotic arm. Hadfield could easily tweet his way into being the most recognized Canadian astronaut ever. If he isn’t already. No wonder the agency is eager to capitalize on his profile.

The only way space will be a priority again is if governments realize that the voters care. NASA can’t afford to pick its astronauts solely on the basis of their physical fitness and intellectual prowess anymore. Social media savvy and a healthy dose of folksy charm is going to be just as important. The model for that new man — the right stuff, so to speak?

Our very own Chris Hadfield."

National Post
mgurney@nationalpost.com
@mattgurney

How International Space Station astronaut Chris Hadfield may save NASA | Full Comment | National Post