I'm Sure It Seemed Like a Good Idea At the Time

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Freedom of Expression or Terrorism? Or maybe just really dark humour?

French mom on trial for sending toddler, named Jihad, to school wearing an ‘I am a bomb’ T-shirt

Mom Bouchra Bagour and her brother Zeyad are on trial this week in Avignon, France. Bouchra has been charged with glorifying crime.

Bouchra Bagour (left) leaves Avignon's courthouse in December after she sent her 3-year-old son, Jihad Bagour (whose birthday falls on Sept. 11), to school in a shirt that read "I am a bomb." The T-shirt was a gift from Bagour’s 29-year-old brother, Zeyad Bagour.

This mom is chock full of great ideas.
When French mother Bouchra Bagour had a baby on Sept. 11, she named her son Jihad (a not uncommon first name in some Muslim countries). Three years later, she sent her toddler to nursery school wearing a T-shirt that said “I am a bomb” on the front and read “Jihad, born on 11 September” on the back. This week, she’s defending her actions in court.
The T-shirt was a gift from Bagour’s 29-year-old brother, Zeyad Bagour. Jihad’s teacher spotted the 3-year-old wearing his controversial clothing in class last September. She alerted the police, who later charged Bagour with “glorifying crime,” according to the BBC.

At Bagour’s trial in Avignon, France, the 35-year-old mom from the town of Sorgues insisted that the shirt wasn’t meant to provoke or defend terrorism. Instead, she was hoping for a chuckle.
She thought the shirt would “make people laugh,” Sky News reports.
Her brother and co-defendent also denied the charges.

"It's the day (of) his birth I wanted to highlight, not the year," he told the court, according to the BBC.
Prosecutors aren’t amused. They’re hoping to fine Bouchra $1,300 and hit her brother with a fine of about $3,900.
"The most scandalous thing is that they've used and manipulated a 3-year-old child to voluntarily
convey the words of a terrorist," lawyer Claude Avril told Sky News. The trial will be decided on April10.

Freedom of Expression or Terrorism? Or maybe just really dark humour?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Her excuse is lame beyond belief.9-11- Bomb-Hoping for a chuckle over what- The towers blown up, the wars that followed. Where would she find that chuckle.

Yep Put that crap on a kid. Ffn lame - FFn dumb.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Some of these countries have no sense of humour, "Glorifying Crime" Hooliganism and who
knows what else. Even in this country we have schools determining what is a good T shirt
and which ones are bad. Oh I agree shirts with swearing on them no, common decency but
a Bud shirt or what ever no big deal. We are trying to regulate every aspect of life.
The woman should have been told its not appropriate but charges?
The sad thing here is a child was put in the position of defending themselves by others of
his own age group without knowing it was even offensive. She should be reprimanded for
that, but glorifying a crime/ There would be no mob movies in America if we had that law.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Some of these countries have no sense of humour, "Glorifying Crime" Hooliganism and who
knows what else. Even in this country we have schools determining what is a good T shirt
and which ones are bad. Oh I agree shirts with swearing on them no, common decency but
a Bud shirt or what ever no big deal. We are trying to regulate every aspect of life.
The sad thing here is a child was put in the position of defending themselves by others of
his own age group without knowing it was even offensive. She should be reprimanded for
that, but glorifying a crime/ There would be no mob movies in America if we had that law.

So 911 - Bomb- that rocks your humor bone does it?
One thing about France they had an Iman make statements that were inciting to hatred - 6 weeks and he was gone. 6 bloody weeks and all of them in detention. Gotta love that

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Actually films were the first thing that spread to mind when I read what the "charges" were. Surely a t-shirt cannot glorify crime more than what's probably playing at the local cineplex, if it can glorify it at all.

But on the other hand, this is a three year old. And honestly I'm not sure putting a Bud shirt on a three year old would be 'no big deal'.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Well, the shirt spoke the truth: that child was a bomb. The situation certainly blew up.

The double entendre on the back seriously tickles my fancy.

I really like this woman's sense of humor. No joke. Let me be clear: no sarcasm here.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
French court puts kibosh on baby named Jihad
Brad Hunter
More from Brad Hunter
Published:
April 17, 2018
Updated:
April 17, 2018 9:09 PM EDT
A French court has torpedoed a couples desire to name their baby boy Jihad. Maybe they wanted him to join the Cubs of the Caliphate.
A French court has torpedoed a couple who wanted to name their baby boy Jihad.
The reasoning was that the handle would have an adverse effect on the boy’s life. You think?
According to the Daily Mail, the case went to court last summer when authorities in Toulouse were alerted about the child’s name.
Now, the judiciary — in no mood for terror-inspired handles — has ordered the name be removed from the child’s birth certificate.
A new one has been issued giving him the sparkly new name of “Jahid,” The Local reports.
Parents in France can name their child whatever they want — as long as the child or any third party isn’t hurt by it.
Authorities have also put the kibosh to names like Nutella and Fraise.
Jihad typically means struggle, particularly in a military sense.
France has been ground zero in the war against terror and the country remains on heightened alert in the wake of a number of Islamist terror attacks in recent years.
In 2013, French mom Bouchra Bagour sent her son — named Jihad — to school wearing a sweater with the words “I am a bomb” on the front. On the back, “Born on September 11,” was emblazoned.
She was handed a suspended jail sentence.
French court puts kibosh on baby named Jihad | Toronto Sun