Stompin' Tom Conners dead at age 77

earth_as_one
+6
Canadian music icon Stompin’ Tom Connors dead at 77

03/06/2013 08:39 PM CityNews.ca

Canadian music legend Stompin` Tom Connors receives the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 20th Annual SOCAN Awards gala in Toronto Monday, November 23, 2009. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darren Calabrese

Canadian music legend Stompin’ Tom Connors has died at the age of 77, a release on his official website confirms.
Connors died of natural causes at his home in Ontario, surrounded by family.
He became a Canadian icon with songs like The Hockey Song, Sudbury Saturday Night, and Bud The Spud.
His family posted the following message on his website, saying it was the colourful musician’s final message to fans.
“Hello friends, I want all my fans, past, present, or future, to know that without you, there would have not been any Stompin’ Tom.”
“It was a long hard bumpy road, but this great country kept me inspired with its beauty, character, and spirit, driving me to keep marching on and devoted to sing about its people and places that make Canada the greatest country in the world.”
“I must now pass the torch, to all of you, to help keep the Maple Leaf flying high, and be the Patriot Canada needs now and in the future.”
“I humbly thank you all, one last time, for allowing me in your homes, I hope I continue to bring a little bit of cheer into your lives from the work I have done.”

Canadian music icon Stompin’ Tom Connors dead at 77 | CityNews (external - login to view)

A truly original Canadian icon!

L Gilbert
+6
aw sh|t. The dude was a lot of fun.
Our sympathies to his family, friends, and fans.

CDNBear
+5
The passing of a Canadian legend and icon...

SLM
+5

Stompin Tom Corners - Good Old Hockey Game - YouTube

R.I.P.

CDNBear
+4

Stompin39 Tom Connors - Big Joe Mufferaw Live 2005 - YouTube

earth_as_one
+6

Stompin39 Tom Connors - Bud The Spud Live 2005 - YouTube

Johnnny
+3

Stompin39 Tom Connors - Sudbury Saturday Night Live 2005 - YouTube

RIP ol stomper

Goober
Is anyone familiar with why he had that sheet of plywood under his stomping boot?

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Is anyone familiar with why he had that sheet of plywood under his stomping boot?

No why?

darkbeaver
+3
Everyone knew his tunes.

L Gilbert
+4

Yes. His stomping used to damage stage floors.

Tonington
+8
#12  Top Rated Post
I hope there's some kitchen parties tonight in Skinner's Pond to celebrate the life of Stompin' Tom. Great songs about a great country by a great entertainer.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Yes. His stomping used to damage stage floors.

Yep- Club owners complained about have to replace carpet. So in came the plywood.

earth_as_one
His official website is currently a little unresponsive...

www.stompintom.com (external - login to view)

JamesBondo
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Stompin Tom Corners - Good Old Hockey Game - YouTube

R.I.P.

Didn't think I would, but I got a little emotional about this one.

karrie
+7
An end of an era. I hope people take to heart the tone of patriotism he set.

earth_as_one
+1
That only took a few minutes....

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
STOMPIN' TOM CONNORS DIES AT THE AGE OF 77:

Peterborough, ON (March 6, 2013)

Today Canada lost one of its' true musical icons with the passing of Stompin’ Tom Connors
O.C.,LL.D.,Litt.D.

Connors died of natural causes at his home in Ontario. He was 77 years of age.

Stompin’ Tom literally put Canada on the map with such songs as “The Hockey Song”, “Sudbury Saturday Night”, “Bud The Spud”, “Tillsonburg”, "Big Joe Mufferaw" and countless others.

Born Thomas Charles Connors in Saint John New Brunswick on February 9th 1936, he was separated from his mother at a young age and raised by foster parents in Skinners Pond, P.E.I. until he was 13 years old. His life of poverty, orphanages, hitchhiking and playing bars would eventually turn into a life of hit songs, national concert tours and fame in spite of a constant uphill battle to be recognized by the music industry in Canada. In 1979 in a fit of frustration and disappointment he returned all 6 of his Juno awards as a statement of personal protest against the Americanization of the Canadian Music Industry, a sentiment he continued to express to this day. In 1989 Tom signed with EMI Music Canada, teamed up with talent promoter Brian Edwards and returned to the stage where fans young and old embraced his music once again as he quickly became one of the biggest concert draws and sought after performers in the country.

Due to the unwavering love for promoting his home country, some of the many accolades he has received include becoming an Officer of the Order of Canada, his own Canadian postage stamp, he was invited by the Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson to receive the Governor Generals Performing Arts Award, he was the recipient of both the Queens Gold and Diamond Jubilee Medals and he earned 3 honorary doctorate degrees (Saint Thomas University in Saint John New Brunswick; "Laws", University of Toronto; "Laws", and the University of P.E.I.; "Letters").

He now has an astounding 61 recorded albums, 10 of which have yet to be released to the public. His songs will continue to be made available worldwide and remain a legacy to his career, his life and his beloved country.

Tom is survived by his wife Lena, 2 sons, 2 daughters and several grandchildren.

The Celebration of Tom's life is being planned for Wednesday, March 13th in Peterborough, ON at 7pm at the Peterborough Memorial Centre and per his request, will be open to the public.

In lieu of flowers, the Connors family has asked that donations be made to your local food bank or homeless shelters, in memory of Stompin' Tom.

JLM
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

Canadian music icon Stompin’ Tom Connors dead at 77

03/06/2013 08:39 PM CityNews.ca

Canadian music legend Stompin` Tom Connors receives the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 20th Annual SOCAN Awards gala in Toronto Monday, November 23, 2009. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darren Calabrese

Canadian music legend Stompin’ Tom Connors has died at the age of 77, a release on his official website confirms.
Connors died of natural causes at his home in Ontario, surrounded by family.
He became a Canadian icon with songs like The Hockey Song, Sudbury Saturday Night, and Bud The Spud.
His family posted the following message on his website, saying it was the colourful musician’s final message to fans.

“Hello friends, I want all my fans, past, present, or future, to know that without you, there would have not been any Stompin’ Tom.”

“It was a long hard bumpy road, but this great country kept me inspired with its beauty, character, and spirit, driving me to keep marching on and devoted to sing about its people and places that make Canada the greatest country in the world.”

“I must now pass the torch, to all of you, to help keep the Maple Leaf flying high, and be the Patriot Canada needs now and in the future.”

“I humbly thank you all, one last time, for allowing me in your homes, I hope I continue to bring a little bit of cheer into your lives from the work I have done.”

Canadian music icon Stompin’ Tom Connors dead at 77 | CityNews (external - login to view)

A truly original Canadian icon!

That is sad news............a great Canadian!

SLM
+5
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondoView Post

Didn't think I would, but I got a little emotional about this one.

How can you not? He was so iconic!

I kind of feel the same way as when Ernie Coombs died.

petros
+2
GASP!!!

Godspeed Tom!

bill barilko
+3
First heard about him from my Dad who saw him in a bar in Timmins and was quite impressed.

Stompin' Tom made music his way and that counted for a lot with his fans-reading his autobiography is a must if you're at all interested in Canadian history.

WLDB
+3
Well that really sucks. I was hoping to see him one more time. He put on a great show. My grandparents played his stuff constantly when I was a kid. His music introduced me to Canadian history and identity. He seemed to have a song for nearly every small town in the country, including my own.

Johnnny
+2 / -1
Thanks to tom we in sudbury kick it harder than you pussies ... Call us whatever, you aint got the balls to come here and do it in person.... End up in one of the rivers or lake ,........
Last edited by Johnnny; Mar 7th, 2013 at 02:38 AM..

Chev
+3

wow, how could anyone watching him not figure that out?...
His stomping used to damage stage floors. The way he stomped, would not surprise me if section had to be replaced after each show.
Sorry Goober, I thought you were 'asking' that question, not just checking to see if everyone else knew, oops.

Did you know that at one time a person was not allowed to bring potatoes Into P.E.I.? Ex. If you were camping and had potatoes with you, you couldn’t bring them into P.E.I.? I can’t imagine it being different now. As proud and protective of their product. I wouldn’t want to take the chance of any of the fungi or diseases being brought into the province either.

Walter
+2
Always sad to lose someone so a part of my youth. RIP

Locutus
+1
Let's raise a bottle of warm Old Vienna to Tom.

Take 'er away buys.

Walter
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Let's raise a bottle of warm Old Vienna to Tom.

Take 'er away buys.

V-I-E-N-N-A That's Old Vienna, the happy lazy lager beer. It's got life, it's got zest, Old Vienna's the best, the happy lazy lager beer

DaSleeper
+2
Actually, there is only one song of old Tom I enjoyed but he was an Original....something like 'Cayouche' in N.B.

Stompin Tom Connors - The Consumer 45 RPM Vinyl - YouTube

It was one that a TV show picked up as there theme song "The Market Place"

Stompin' Tom and Marketplace Memories - Marketplace - CBC Player

Keep on pickin' up there Tom............................................... ........................

lone wolf
+4
Somewhere a sheet of plywood breathes its sigh of relief.

Rest in Peace, Tom

#juan
+1
The guy certainly had something. There were times when I couldn't stand another minute of "The Good Old Hockey Game"
but mostly I enjoyed it. Stompin Tom entertained people right accross this country and people would flock to see his performances.