Their Magnificent neighbor to the north

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
One version of Argo apparently won an Academy Award. Unfortunately, an Academy Award has nothing to
do with th truth.
Part of the true story was that the Canadian embassador to Iran, Ken Taylor, at great risk to himself, Organized
a cover story for each of the half dozen Americans and getting Canadian passports for them. The Canadian
embassey staff tutored the Americans on their new identities and coached them on how to speak our language.
And helped to get them on aircraft to get them out of that country. Americans arriving back on this continent
thanked their magnificent neighbor to the north for their rescue.
You won't find any of this in Argo though. Ben Aflick decided that the whole thing was pulled off by the CIA. I
guess this is all "newspeak"

Sorry about the double post...

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Titanic, Gladiator, The King's Speech, Braveheart all won best picture and were far from accurate. Argo is nothing new in this department.

Historical accuracy aside I'm very surprised that Argo won. I though it was just 'ok' as a movie. It doesn't really have any rewatch value for me. I was never able to feel any suspense during it as I knew how it would end. Everyone knows the hostages get out.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Titanic, Gladiator, The King's Speech, Braveheart all won best picture and were far from accurate. Argo is nothing new in this department.

Historical accuracy aside I'm very surprised that Argo won. I though it was just 'ok' as a movie. It doesn't really have any rewatch value for me. I was never able to feel any suspense during it as I knew how it would end. Everyone knows the hostages get out.

I remember the hostages being interviewed afterwards and none could say enough about Ken Taylor and his staff.

I was in LA when the American diplomats came home, There were signs saying "Thanks Canada" all over the place in that city

I remember the hostages being interviewed afterwards and none could say enough about Ken Taylor and his staff.

I was in LA when the American diplomats came home, There were signs saying "Thanks Canada" all over the place in that city

David Bedard, W5 Staff
Published Friday, Feb. 22, 2013 5:00PM EST
Last Updated Saturday, Feb. 23, 2013 11:05PM EST

Ben Affleck’s movie, "Argo," claims to be a "true story" and while it's widely regarded as one of the best pictures of the year, garnering multiple nominations and awards, the truth is its portrayal contains some glaring omissions. The backdrop of the tale is the 1979 storming of the U.S. Embassy in Tehran by Islamic militants who captured 52 American diplomatic personnel and held them hostage for 444 days. However, the core story of "Argo" focuses on the six American diplomats who escaped the initial takeover and found refuge in -- and eventual rescue from -- the Canadian Embassy in Iran.

Lead actor and director, Affleck, who studied Middle Eastern Affairs in college, said he "knew the backstory, I knew the politics, I knew that I wasn't going to step on any landmines in that regard." But, at the movie's premiere at TIFF, the landmines started exploding.

Many Canadians, including former Ambassador to Iran, Ken Taylor, who housed two of the six escapees and who was a central coordinator in the ex-filtration of the six Americans, took issue with the film, which portrayed the Canadians as a minor player in the daring escape. "Argo" would have us believe that it was almost solely an American undertaking led by CIA agent, Tony Mendez.
Related Stories

Real-life Ken Taylor takes issue with 'Argo'
'Argo' named best picture at British Academy Film Awards
Ben Affleck's 'Argo' wins Directors Guild top honour

Photos
Argo: Iran hostage crisis fiddles with the facts

Critics of Ben Affleck's 'Argo' suggest the movie downplays Canada's role in the rescue mission.

Former Canadian ambassador Ken Taylor was in Toronto the night of the 'Argo' premier, but says he was not invited.

Documentary maker Les Harris says that, despite nods to history, Ben Affleck's 'Argo' was not 'the true story of what happened.'

"Tony Mendez, as courageous and ingenious as is his character, was only there for a day and a half," said Taylor. "After three months of intensive preparation for the operation…I think my role was somewhat more than just opening and closing the front door of the embassy."

It was largely the Canadian Embassy who orchestrated the escape.

That bit of "Argo's" oversight is well known to Les Harris, a former W5 producer who quit his job to direct not only a 1980s documentary on this tale, but a movie of the week (Escape from Iran: The Canadian Caper) as well. According to Harris, "(Argo) was a fantastic film. What it was not was the story, the true story of what happened."

Jimmy Carter, the American President at the time of the hostage crisis, echoed Harris’s viewpoint. While receiving an honorary degree at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, Carter took issue with the film. In his acceptance speech, Carter said, "I saw the movie Argo recently. I was taken aback by its distortion of what happened. Because almost everything that was heroic or courageous or innovative was done by Canada, and not the United States."

Historical errors

So, what really did happen in the historical sense – and what did the movie, Argo, simply invent? A warning – if you haven’t seen the film yet and don’t want to spoil your viewing of Affleck’s version of history, skip the next few paragraphs and go directly to "Resume reading here."

While Ambassador Taylor is depicted as taking in all six of the American escapees, it was John Sheardown, another Canadian Consular Official, and his wife, Zena, who took in four of them. Ambassador Taylor housed the other two.
The six Americans did not object to the plan of posing as a Canadian film crew scouting locations for a movie. In fact, they favored that option over two others presented to them.
The group of six never ventured into the Iranian bazaar as a dress rehearsal of their fake identities. In fact, Mark Lijek, one of the Americans exfiltrated from Iran said in an with W5’s Victor Malarek, "It would have been suicidal to go to the Bazaar at that point."
The character of Lester Siegel, played by Alan Arkin, while one of the most entertaining characters in the movie, was a composite of several people. There was a real-life producer named Lester Siegal, but he had nothing to do with this episode of Canadian and American history.
The confrontation with Iranian officials at the airport in Tehran never happened. Apart from a short delay in boarding the plane, neither the six American escapees, nor Tony Mendez were questioned or detained at the airport.
The climactic and nail-biting car chase by armed Iranians pursuing the jetliner lifting the Americans to freedom never happened. They lifted off without a hitch.

Ultimately, Argo fails as a historically accurate representation of what truly occurred. When Victor Malarek caught up with Affleck on his way into the Santa Barbara Film Festival, the director defended his picture.

"It’s hard to make a movie and you wanna jam everything that’s possible in there," said Affleck. "Particularly given, one of the really nice things about this movie was the spirit of camaraderie and brotherhood and companionhood that developed between the United States and Canada."

That said, as entertainment Argo does succeed as a true Hollywood thriller And as far as film critic Leonard Maltin is concerned there should be no problem with that, after he has one piece of sage advice for us all "don’t get your history from the movies."

Read more: Argo: Iran hostage crisis film fiddles with the facts

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Juan is right....

In the movie The Hobbit there are all kinds of scenes with Orcs. However there are no mentions of Orcs in the book The Hobbit.

I am really sensitive to anything that isn't kissing my azz when I feel my azz should be kissed. I look for sh*t just so I can whine like a b*itch.

Psst... hey Juan... it's a movie.

"It’s hard to make a movie and you wanna jam everything that’s possible in there," said Affleck. "Particularly given, one of the really nice things about this movie was the spirit of camaraderie and brotherhood and companionhood that developed between the United States and Canada."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/argo-iran-...iddles-with-the-facts-1.1167994#ixzz2M28fjy00

pffft... yeah ok.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The problem is ... some folk think TV and Hollywood are real. Since the fire a week ago, I have come to the conclusion the guy watched too much TV. Exit tunnels, a back door that nobody who was in a position to use it knew about it, a good old-fashioned canvas-tent-type chimbley - everything but the stunt doubles and rescue gear.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Juan is right....

In the movie The Hobbit there are all kinds of scenes with Orcs. However there are no mentions of Orcs in the book The Hobbit.

I am really sensitive to anything that isn't kissing my azz when I feel my azz should be kissed. I look for sh*t just so I can whine like a b*itch.

Psst... hey Juan... it's a movie.

Yes. It is supposed to be a movie, a movie about real events. When you write about, or make a movie about, real events,
the accepted practice is show events as they actually happened, Affleck made something else that had no resemblance
to actual events. And Eaglesmack, please note the Mistletoe above my coat tails.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Yes. It is supposed to be a movie, a movie about real events. When you write about, or make a movie about, real events,
the accepted practice is show events as they actually happened, Affleck made something else that had no resemblance
to actual events.

And how long have you been watching movies?

The picture below is a depiction of the attack on Pearl Harbor in the movie Pearl Harbor. Note the Cold War Era ships in the background.

And Eaglesmack, please note the Mistletoe above my coat tails.

Oh I know! That is why I mentioned above that you want your azz kissed. You feel the intense need to have it kissed because you're insecure about certain things. Like Hollywood not kissing enough Canadian azz and doing it the way SOME insecure Canadians would want. LOL

Pssst... hey Juan... it's a movie.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
From the movie "Battle of the Bulge" That is NOT a German tank at all. It is a US M-47.

More US Tanks posing as Tigers... so inaccurate! I want my butt kissed now!

Ben Aflick decided that the whole thing was pulled off by the CIA. .

LMAO... How did I miss this!

What Ben Affleck thinks means that much to you?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The fact is America has become fantasy land anyway. The movie aside its just a movie
but for the fact they are glorifying an agency that didn't do what had to be done. The
next time we should just say oh well its just an embassy hijacking I'm sure they will figure
it out.
As for other fantasies take WWII for example, I see someone put forth a tank, not that it
means much. Americans believe the war lasted from 1942 to 1945 when in fact they were
sitting on the sidelines while the rest of us were doing the heavy lifting warding off Nazi
oppression. All be it we were in deep trouble. The fact is many of these same companies
around today that are building up China, built up Germany then they used our kids and
grand kids for cannon fodder to make their war profits. Yes Canadian companies did the
same.
America is nothing more than a fantasy land where you can be unemployed and buy cheap
running shoes from China. Don't put things on here that confuse them like snippets of the
truth about what really happened
No I could care less about the movie, its just a movie what I am ticked with is America pounding
its chest and waving the flag all the time. The problem is they are becoming a second rate player
in the world and we will be faced with a much bigger threat China, which is a hell of a lot worse.
Like the groundhog they will come out see the movie and go back into their cave once again
believing what Hollywood told them was true.
America is like watching a Broadway Play once you've seen it once you know what to expect
so why is anyone surprised when they portrayed it the way they did and took the credit for something
they didn't do?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
As for other fantasies take WWII for example, I see someone put forth a tank, not that it
means much. Americans believe the war lasted from 1942 to 1945 when in fact they were
sitting on the sidelines while the rest of us were doing the heavy lifting warding off Nazi
oppression.

You have the most idiotic posts. The US was engaged from 1941-1945

You weren't doing crap to ward off the Nazis. Canadian forces weren't engaged until 1942. No heavy lifting at all. Read a book.

Read this and WEEP!

http://www.canadaatwar.ca/battles/world-war-ii/

America is nothing more than a fantasy land where you can be unemployed and buy cheap
running shoes from China. Don't put things on here that confuse them like snippets of the
truth about what really happened
Oh and all your running shoes are made in Canada? Keep dreaming.

No I could care less about the movie, its just a movie what I am ticked with is America pounding
its chest and waving the flag all the time.
Like this?

Hypocrite

The problem is they are becoming a second rate player
What does that make you?

in the world and we will be faced with a much bigger threat China, which is a hell of a lot worse.
Pfft... what are you going to do to China except bend over.

Like the groundhog they will come out see the movie and go back into their cave once again
believing what Hollywood told them was true.
America is like watching a Broadway Play once you've seen it once you know what to expect
so why is anyone surprised when they portrayed it the way they did and took the credit for something
they didn't do?
Good grief. Why are you so jealous? Geez

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Eag;e sorry I meant 1941 fair comment hit the wrong key.
No our running shoes are not made in Canada, and that
is part of what I said, our companies are building up the
same monster.China.
We have also made some controversial movies about
events we participated in, in this country, and some of them
could have used the truth as well.
Movies are movies, its just that there was such a big deal
made about this when it happened and our country went
way out of its way to help, at personal risk to Canadians and
our officials. Not that I watch movies much at all but I think
due respect was not shown here, and it does not sit well in
Canada when something like this happens.
One thing many Americans don't understand is there is a fairly
strong current of Anti-Americanism in Canada and when an
incident like this happens it creates a rift in the population that
none of us need. A little fantasy is one thing but from what I
understand the movie simply abandoned the truth.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Movies are movies, its just that there was such a big deal
made about this when it happened and our country went
way out of its way to help, at personal risk to Canadians and
our officials.

Our Embassy was sacked... many more Americans spent 444 Days in Iran... and our dingbat President was the CIC of one of our most embarrassing military disasters where Americans were killed.

Not that I watch movies much at all but I think
due respect was not shown here, and it does not sit well in
Canada when something like this happens.

Of course not because a portion of your population is so hyper-sensitive. Whining like a bunch of b*tches at any slight real or imaginary.

One thing many Americans don't understand is there is a fairly
strong current of Anti-Americanism in Canada and when an
incident like this happens it creates a rift in the population that
none of us need.

If it is any consolation many Americans do not give Canada one thought. Those Americans that DO know Canada know there is a lot of anti-Americanism up there. You are one of them.

A little fantasy is one thing but from what I
understand the movie simply abandoned the truth.

Like Titanic...Pearl Harbor... etc. It is a movie.

Make your own movie on it if it is so important.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

to actual events.

Ever see Passchendaele? We're no better when it comes to historical accuracy.

Take a look at the movies I listed in my first post. Braveheart won a lot of awards. All they got right in that movie are the names of the characters. Still a movie I quite enjoy. Titanic - near perfect sets but the main story was totally fiction. Gladiator, there was no Maximus. Marcus Auerelius was not killed by Commodus, Commodus was not killed in the colloseum and the Grachii brothers were killed 400 years before the movie took place.

Can you name a single film that got everything right when it comes to historical accuracy? Or even something that comes close?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Take a look at the movies I listed in my first post. Braveheart won a lot of awards. All they got right in that movie are the names of the characters. Still a movie I quite enjoy. Titanic - near perfect sets but the main story was totally fiction. Gladiator, there was no Maximus. Marcus Auerelius was not killed by Commodus, Commodus was not killed in the colloseum and the Grachii brothers were killed 400 years before the movie took place.

Can you name a single film that got everything right when it comes to historical accuracy? Or even something that comes close?

"The Longest Day" comes to mind. I think that movie was historically accurate. There were a few blunders
but what can you expect with every "movie star" in the world playing a part.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Well I don't know if this counts but Anthony Quinn was spot as Auda abu Tayi when you compare Lawrence's memoirs to "Lawrence of Arabia"...

And DG et al, when you want to attack the US' historical "shortcomings" please be accurate in how you do so. The US wasn't officially involved in combat in WW II until after Dec. 7, 1941, but their lend-lease programs meant the Brits and Soviets had money and material to survive. There were also American volunteers fighting under other flags before their gov't got involved.

Now please continue with your hating on one of our country's best friends and allies...

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
"The Longest Day" comes to mind. I think that movie was historically accurate. There were a few blunders
but what can you expect with every "movie star" in the world playing a part.

Yeah sure it was... D-Day happened on June 6, 1944. Outside of that it was a typical 1960's war movie, complete with John Wayne and everything.

WLDB... you're wasting your time. If any other country did the movie Argo it would be a non-issue.

I can't believe Ben Affleck has a good portion of a nation in an uproar. Ben Affleck...A Hollywood actor! I guess it doesn't take much.