Nurse says hospital granted dad’s request for no black nurses near newborn

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Nurse says hospital granted dad’s request for no black nurses near newborn

Nurse says hospital granted dad

An African-American nurse claims a Michigan hospital agreed to a man’s request that no black nurses care for his newborn.

Forty-nine-year-old Tonya Battle tells the Detroit Free Press she didn’t know how to react when she learned about the request in October at Hurley Medical Center in Flint. Battle sued last month in Genesee Circuit Court seeking punitive damages.

Battle’s lawsuit claims a note was posted on an assignment clipboard reading “No African American nurse to take care of baby.” She says it was later removed, but claims black nurses weren’t assigned to the baby’s care for about a month.

Hurley President Melany Gavulic said in a statement Tuesday the father showed Battle’s supervisor a swastika tattoo, which angered the staff. She says supervisors were concerned for the staff’s safety.

‘No Black Nurses’ Lawsuit: Tanya Battle Sues Hospital Alleging Supervisor-Supported Discrimination : Home : Lawyer Herald

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
If I was running the hospital I would tell him to take his business elsewhere.

You could have a lot more fun with this than schooling this idiot... Go to the HR dept and issue all the attending nurses name tags with full-on Jewish names... Think of the extra fun when the padded invoice gets submitted.

That'd fix his wagon

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
If you want to mess with this clown, explain that black just means there is no colour reflected so the person is actually white and a white person reflects all the colour so is actually black. If he can't follow that logic, I hear a ball peen hammer works well too.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
You could have a lot more fun with this than schooling this idiot... Go to the HR dept and issue all the attending nurses name tags with full-on Jewish names... Think of the extra fun when the padded invoice gets submitted.

That'd fix his wagon

Reminds me of that MASH episode where a racist receives a transfusion from a black man. Oh yes the man who invented this was black.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
It's still his right. Is it wrong? Maybe. Still I think the hospital did the right thing.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It's still his right. Is it wrong? Maybe. Still I think the hospital did the right thing.

Could you provide a link where he has this right. Looking for that legal right should keep you busy till well after I die.

jariax

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2006
Option 1: Accomodate racist request.
Result: Get sued.

Option 2: Put black nurses in the same room as the racist, risking violent confrontation.

Option 3: Send mother and child out of hospital, putting their lives in danger, due to racist father.

You can't win.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

It's his right to discriminate against someone based on their skin colour????

And there's no maybe about it being wrong, it's racist stupidity, pure and simple.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
You have the right to choose who will work on your car, you have the right to pick your own dentist or doctor...
The guy may be racist but he has the right to chose who will look after his child, and if the hospital refuses he has the right to sue, or move to another hospital.....

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
You have the right to choose who will work on your car, you have the right to pick your own dentist or doctor...
The guy may be racist but he has the right to chose who will look after his child, and if the hospital refuses he has the right to sue, or move to another hospital.....

He does not have the right in the Hosp when using race as a determining factor.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It is so comforting to know there are small minded people who hate for skin colour or because
they are different like Gay or what ever. Here is a guy who hates so bad that a black person
not be part of his child's care. We think that is terrible yet it applies to other parts of a modern
society as well.
Here is another situation Churches have a tax free ride on properties and so on. It is really
getting a pass by government itself. Yet, at the same time they can hate Gay people and not
let them marry in the church or in some cases even attend the service there.
It is different than this case but the hatred displayed is the same thing. Oh I know the church
folk all do the song and dance about sin ya da ya da but its still hate and they call it something
else.
I think we are living in a society that still has to come to grips with ignorance but it will be a long
time before this changes

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
He does not have the right in the Hosp when using race as a determining factor.
The law says that you cannot descriminate while providing a service.....
Find me the case law that that says that you cannot discriminate in who provides you with a service.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this one. He has the right to be a racist, he can think whatever he wants to. But he can't act on whatever he wants to. Thinking and having an opinion doesn't infringe on anyone else, but actions do.

If the hospital, without outside intervention of any kind, were to base it's staffing policies on race, that would be discriminatory would it not? So how does he have the right to demand the hospital discriminate? He absolutely has the right to go elsewhere for service though.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
You can choose your nurse or doctor on the basis of gender.

How is race any different?

This was not a free choice of Doctor etc. This is a case of those trained to attend to persons under the care of that Doctor/Hospital.
The question and or point is not relevant.