Child allegedly handcuffed in Ottawa basement; RCMP officer and wife charged

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Child allegedly handcuffed in Ottawa basement; RCMP officer and wife charged

OTTAWA - An RCMP officer and his wife are facing multiple abuse and sex-related charges following a child abuse investigation in Ottawa.
Police say the 41-year-old officer and 34-year-old wife are charged with several counts of aggravated assault, assault with weapon, aggravated sexual assault, forcible confinement and failing to provide the necessaries of life.
Police aren't saying how many children are involved, but say the case involves more than one alleged victim.
In order to protect the identity of the alleged victims, the names of the couple have not been released.
A police source says the investigation was launched after an 11-year-old child was discovered wandering in a residential neighbourhood.
And the source says it's believed handcuffs were used to keep the child in the basement of a house for months.
The officer's wife is expected to go before a judge today to set a date for a bail hearing.

Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

Absolutely unreal!!! How can people be such absolute vile monsters and still maintain enough semblance of normalcy that they can serve on a police force?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Such a horrific occurrence.

It's good to see that it is exposed and out there and not covered up.
Let's see what kind of black nest of vipers this uncovers.

It says three have been arrested and looks like the other children are teenagers.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Oooooh my gawd...this is big. There's a whole lot more to this story.

First of all...their poor neighbour. This guy is going to have to deal with his guilt. He just didn't know or guess even when he had the kid right in his kitchen. I can see how that would happen in an affluent neighbourhood in Canada. We think the atrocities are elsewhere, and we exist in bubbles that we create.

Next:
"The officer has also not been on active duty since May of 2011.
Shorey said she could not give details about why the man hasn’t been on active duty, how long the man has worked for the RCMP or in what capacity for several reasons, including wanting to protect the identity of the youth involved.
But according to an affidavit the accused swore in December 2010 in relation to a separate matter, he was a member of the RCMP’s National Security Criminal Investigations program, an anti-terrorist unit."

WTF... was he notably over the deep-end already OR was he in deep cover, or possibly both.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The neighbour I want to give the benefit of the doubt too, from the article it does seem as if he feels the weight of his conscience on that one. From the way he was describing the situation though, seems he knew something was wrong, he just didn't act on it. He was purposefully oblivious I'd say, if such a thing is even possible. Sometimes we don't see things we just don't want to see. I really don't blame him for not doing anything though, but only because I think he's blaming himself more than anyone else ever could.

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
The neighbour I want to give the benefit of the doubt too, from the article it does seem as if he feels the weight of his conscience on that one. From the way he was describing the situation though, seems he knew something was wrong, he just didn't act on it. He was purposefully oblivious I'd say, if such a thing is even possible. Sometimes we don't see things we just don't want to see. I really don't blame him for not doing anything though, but only because I think he's blaming himself more than anyone else ever could.

Rat on a cop, and if you're wrong, your *** is grass.