Freedom of expression??? Or???

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
B.C. city squelches request to take down anti-abortion display mounted on private property

The City of Abbotsford, B.C., has dismissed demands it take action against a mock cemetery to aborted fetuses, arguing that displays on private property are outside city jurisdiction.
“It is not in violation of any sign bylaw,” Mayor Bruce Banman told Postmedia on Thursday. “It comes down to freedom of expression. It is one group opposed to the views of another.”
A Jan. 29 letter drafted by the Vancouver-based Abortion Rights Coalition of Canada (ARCC) calls The Cemetery of the Innocent — a highway-side display of 1,860 miniature crosses meant to represent a week’s worth of Canadian abortions — an “act of discrimination against women.” It says Abbotsford should rescind its “approval” of the sign.

Rights groups say anti-abortion display discriminates against women | Canada | News | National Post

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Re: Freedom of expression???

Yeah, I have no problem with it. They are expressing their views.

“Together, the sign and crosses are a misappropriation of a woman’s private experience that is absolutely no one’s business … We believe therefore, that the city’s approval of the sign is an act of discrimination against women.
They ought to be able to come up with something better than this.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Seriously, of all the 'objectionable' messages out there, they're going to pick this one to tackle?

And I'm sorry, but even if you've had an abortion, that doesn't mean that it's not a social issue that warrants discussion. Women in those numbers shouldn't be in the position socially where a) they suffer an unplanned pregnancy, and b) their only option is to abort said pregnancy. There's something going wrong at that point, and I think it serves women better to push for the best for one another. No matter what your stance on abortion I think as women we can all agree that it should be a last resort, and one that we support eachother to be able to prevent. Too many women in this country feel that their life will end with an unplanned pregnancy, and that field of crosses speaks as much of women's place in society as it does of the rights of a fetus.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands

Seriously, of all the 'objectionable' messages out there, they're going to pick this one to tackle?

And I'm sorry, but even if you've had an abortion, that doesn't mean that it's not a social issue that warrants discussion. Women in those numbers shouldn't be in the position socially where a) they suffer an unplanned pregnancy, and b) their only option is to abort said pregnancy. There's something going wrong at that point, and I think it serves women better to push for the best for one another. No matter what your stance on abortion I think as women we can all agree that it should be a last resort, and one that we support eachother to be able to prevent. Too many women in this country feel that their life will end with an unplanned pregnancy, and that field of crosses speaks as much of women's place in society as it does of the rights of a fetus.

I think that is the real issue. I want to live in a world where a woman getting pregnant is a cause for celebration. It seems to me like so many people strive to make it a world where abortion seems like the best option.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
As someone who is pro choice I think these people are making a mistake.
The discussion surrounding this becomes more damaging than the signs.
Let it be as long as there is no law against it from a bylaw standpoint,
It would be better to have the little signs stay up and subject those who put
the sign up to good ole fashioned ridicule. You know everyone has a right
to say what they believe even if they are nuts. That would be a better
message.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
What do they expect in BC's bible belt? As long as this rather tasteless display is not causing accidents and is not on public land it should be allowed to stay. Much adue about nothing.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

Let me preface my actual comment by declaring I am anti-abortion for my own personal choice but support pro-choice because I believe in individual freedoms.

I'm sorry Karrie but the discussion surrounding abortion rights is not about whether it is a last resort or if the woman's life will end over an unplanned pregnancy. The debate is over whether a woman has the individual right to make a choice to have a baby or not regardless of your Kumbya, all women together feelings. In fact there needs only to be a discussion between the individual woman and her doctor because it is really nobody else's business.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Let me preface my actual comment by declaring I am anti-abortion for my own personal choice but support pro-choice because I believe in individual freedoms.

I'm sorry Karrie but the discussion surrounding abortion rights is not about whether it is a last resort or if the woman's life will end over an unplanned pregnancy. The debate is over whether a woman has the individual right to make a choice to have a baby or not regardless of your Kumbya, all women together feelings. In fact there needs only to be a discussion between the individual woman and her doctor because it is really nobody else's business.

The choice at the time is between her and her doc. But all through every day life, people discuss and advocate the pros and cons of a plethora of potential future life choices. The abortion issue is no different. I prefer this form of quiet injection of ones opinion, over picketing abortion clinics and interfering with individual's medical access.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

The choice at the time is between her and her doc. But all through every day life, people discuss and advocate the pros and cons of a plethora of potential future life choices. The abortion issue is no different. I prefer this form of quiet injection of ones opinion, over picketing abortion clinics and interfering with individual's medical access.

Don't get me wrong. I am not bothered by the symbolic expression of their point of view, I actually find it a little humourous. It is free speech on private land and, as you point out, far better than picketing clinics or any of the usual tactics of the anti-abortion extremists.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
B.C. city squelches request to take down anti-abortion display mounted on private property

The City of Abbotsford, B.C., has dismissed demands it take action against a mock cemetery to aborted fetuses, arguing that displays on private property are outside city jurisdiction.
“It is not in violation of any sign bylaw,” Mayor Bruce Banman told Postmedia on Thursday. “It comes down to freedom of expression. It is one group opposed to the views of another.”
A Jan. 29 letter drafted by the Vancouver-based Abortion Rights Coalition of Canada (ARCC) calls The Cemetery of the Innocent — a highway-side display of 1,860 miniature crosses meant to represent a week’s worth of Canadian abortions — an “act of discrimination against women.” It says Abbotsford should rescind its “approval” of the sign.

Rights groups say anti-abortion display discriminates against women | Canada | News | National Post

Once again the "progressives" demonstrate their devotion to the principle of free speech....NOT.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
what would be the response if the neighbour next door, with his/her freedom of expression, put up many

signs, expressing the freedom of choice for women.

just wonderin, my feeling is, that they would have to board up their doors and windows to protect

themselves from violence against their 'freedom of opinion', on their own property.

It seems to me, that 'neither' should happen, as it is inviting problems.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
what would be the response if the neighbour next door, with his/her freedom of expression, put up many

signs, expressing the freedom of choice for women.

just wonderin, my feeling is, that they would have to board up their doors and windows to protect

themselves from violence against their 'freedom of opinion', on their own property.

It seems to me, that 'neither' should happen, as it is inviting problems.

Blaming the victim?

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Once again the "progressives" demonstrate their devotion to the principle of free speech....NOT.

Its a pro-abortion special interest group. Not at all the same as being progressive, since abortion is legal in Canada. More or less a status quo group. One might even call it conservative, in that they don't want anything to change. But hey, don't let reality stop your partisan jabs.