Horse meat scandal costs Ireland company contract with Burger King

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Horse meat scandal costs Ireland company contract with Burger King
China National News Friday 1st February, 2013

DUBLIN, Ireland. Burger King Worldwide has taken a tough stand with Irish meat supplier Silvercrest Foods.
The fast food giant was buying meat for its hamburgers it was selling in the United Kingdom, Denmark and Ireland.
Ireland's Food Safety Authority in early Jnauary cleared the Ireland supplier, saying a very small quantity of horse meat found did not pose a safety risk.
Nonetheless the report prompted ABP Food Group to place its Silvercrest subsidiary under entirely new management. "We are proud of our excellent reputation for quality and service throughout Europe and are determined not to allow the Silvercrest incident to overshadow what is a great business," ABP Food Group CEO Paul Finnerty said.
The move however was not enough to sideline Burger King's own investigation, which drew a different conclusion to the Irish regulator, and has now resulted in the termination of Burger King's contract with Silvercrest.
"While the Food Safety Authority of Ireland has stated that this is not a food safety issue, we are deeply troubled by the findings of our investigation and apologise to our guests, who trust us to source only the highest quality 100% beef burgers. Our supplier has failed us and in turn we have failed you. We are committed to ensuring that this does not happen again," Diego Beamonte, vice president, Global Quality, Burger King Corporation, said Friday.
Beamonte did not say Silvercrest supplied horse meat, but rather claimed a small quanity of meat was found at the Silvercrest facility that was not British or Irish, and this was the basis on which his company's contract with the Irish supplier was terminated.
"Within the last 36 hours, we have established that Silvercrest used a small percentage of beef imported from a non-approved supplier in Poland. They promised to deliver 100% British Irish beef patties and have not done so," Beamonte said. "This is a clear violation of our specifications, and we have terminated our relationship with them. Through our investigation, we have confirmed that this non-approved Polish supplier is the same company identified by the Irish Department of Agriculture as the source of Silvercrest's contamination issue."
quick reply | full reply | multi-quote:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It is time the meat industry came under some scrutiny with regard to what is going
into its burgers. Two reasons the bad apples can be singled out while confidence is
reassured for those following the rules.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
They could serve groundhog or aardvark burgers for all I care. Anybody who eats that crap really doesn't care what they eat.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What's the bad part if it's not the meat? The Bun? Vegetables? Cheese? Ketchup/mustard/mayo?
I heard that is some state mayo is considered a weapon, not a food stuff. Cheese! What they serve as cheese is nothing but edible petroleum bi-products, ketchup is 80% sugar and who the heck knows what's in the mustard.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I only eat these kinds of burgers for an exception now as I have type 2 diabetes
and getting away from processed foods is not as easy as one thinks. I am
surprised they don't have a support group for getting off fast foods. You know a
twelve step program,. Perhaps an aroma mist of burger smells to quell the
nerves as one eats their wholesome salad without any condiments.
They have gum for smokers why not a service for fast food recovery it will only
cost 59 bucks or so for a mist to quell your cravings,

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I heard that is some state mayo is considered a weapon, not a food stuff. Cheese! What they serve as cheese is nothing but edible petroleum bi-products, ketchup is 80% sugar and who the heck knows what's in the mustard.
Mayo is just eggs. veggie oil and spices. The cheese is real cheese, mustard is mustard, vinegar, garlic and other spices. 80% tomato is more like it for ketchup.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I only eat these kinds of burgers for an exception now as I have type 2 diabetes
and getting away from processed foods is not as easy as one thinks.
Depends where you live I can go for days and never see a fast food place.

I am surprised they don't have a support group for getting off fast foods. You know a
twelve step program
There's your calling in life you can start one and get rich-good luck and gawd bless!

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Poland finds no signs of horse meat at 5 of 6 exporters to Ireland

Email
Print

Wed, Jan 30 2013
Tesco drops Irish beef burger supplier
Wed, Jan 30 2013
UPDATE 2-Japan agrees to relax U.S. beef import restrictions
Mon, Jan 28 2013
»
WARSAW | Fri Feb 1, 2013 11:15am EST
Feb 1 (Reuters) - Poland's veterinary authority found no signs of horse meat in samples from five slaughterhouses that were sending beef to Ireland and will know the results from the sixth on Monday, state news agency PAP reported on Friday.

The British food industry has been rocked by the revelation retailers sold meat products that contained horse DNA, a scandal that has also left Ireland's 2 billion euros ($2.6 billion) beef industry reeling from the knock-on effects.

Ireland's agriculture department said on Saturday that beef containing horse DNA supplied by an Irish company to major food companies like Tesco Plc originated in Poland.

"All 14 samples coming from the five slaughterhouses showed negative results, which means that horse protein was not detected,' PAP quoted deputy head of the Polish veterinary inspection Jaroslaw Naze as saying.

Naze was not immediately available for comment.

Irish official said further tests of the Polish ingredient concerned showed up to 20 percent horse DNA content relative to beef, confirming the raw material from Poland to be the source of equine DNA content in certain burgers.

Poland exports about three-quarters of its beef production.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I heard the horse meat is very healthy .......I heard , that's all.haha

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I had a truck like that too. Never needed windshield washer fluid, the bugs would just bounce off or fly out of the way just in time.
Your propensity to deliberately misunderstand posts is noted.

Note--I live in an area-the West Side of Vancouver-replete with small family owned businesses of all types.

Corporate junk food certainly exists but those places are thin on the ground-all to the good AFAIC.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I eat cows that smoke and drink.

You'd have liked my truck, even the creepy, sunken eyed, malnutrition suffering, moonbeam vegans that stumble around on W4th would bounce right off.

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I eat cows that smoke and drink.

You'd have liked my truck, even the creepy, sunken eyed, malnutrition suffering, moonbeam vegans that stumble around on W4th would bounce right off.

"
creepy, sunken eyed, malnutrition suffering, moonbeam vegans" Invite them in. Give'm a good nourishing meal.

And, fer gods sake keepem where you havem. We don't need them here.

I always figured you for an upscale, gated community.........gentleman farmer and all that.........sometimes oil driller, angler, traveller, and raconteur of the first order.

Dashed-------all dashed.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
All jokes aside, the fact is that fast food company's like Burger King, Mcdonalds, et al, advertise 100% beef burgers. They obviously have very good quality control to ensure their beef is safe and is of the quality that they want. With Poland deciding to cut corners and costs by mixing horse meat in with their exported ground beef, which doesn't surprise me at all, then I say they should be boycotted and heavily fined.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
If we rode cattle and not horses, beef in burgers would be a scandal.
We eat shrimp. crab, and lobster - spiders and scorpions of the sea.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
If we rode cattle and not horses, beef in burgers would be a scandal.
We eat scrimp. crab, and lobster - spiders and scorpions of the sea.
There are millions of horses around and most of them are just hay burners 99% of the time. Their meat is just as good as cow and leaner. They are taking up space and resources unnecessarily. We should be eating more of them.