Man finally exonerated in killing three during home invasion.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I just don't know how someone lives with themselves after they have shot people in the back who were retreating from him and killed them.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Well the conviction wasn't overturned permanently, the appeals court found the trial judge erred in his/her ruling of what was admissible for the jury to hear. A new trial has been ordered. In short, they haven't made any determination on the merit of the argument just that the argument could be made.

As to the rest of the story, I honestly don't even know what to think. No one, neither the homeowner nor the men who broke into his house, is exactly a true 'innocent' are they? It's just not that black and white in my opinion.

We'll see what the new trial establishes.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I just don't know how someone lives with themselves after they have shot people in the back who were retreating from him and killed them.

I'm glad I'm not the one, deciding the outcome of this, on the one hand you have a guy shooting other people in the back, on the other hand the victims were where they had no business being - with criminal intent. Was the guy doing the shooting thinking rationally or was he just reacting to a situation he didn't have a chance to fully evaluate, while in a mindset of rage and fear?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I see this verdict as a strong message that society is firmly behind the victims of crime.
How so CM?

I agree that all of the evidence should have been admissible. I hate that part of our legal system where facts can be omitted and things twisted and manipulated to appear a certain way. It just obscures the truth, but then I guess "truth is relaltive to where one stands when viewing it".

I just truly do wonder about the back shots...sounds like cold blooded murder on one hand. But then on the other, like I have stated before, if someone came at me or mine with the intent to do grave harm, once I decided to fire, I would not stop until the chamber was empty.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The instant they made the choice to follow him home, there was no coming back for any of them. Dead or in jail was the only way individuals were walking away from that.

What a tragedy.

I just truly do wonder about the back shots...sounds like cold blooded murder on one hand. But then on the other, like I have stated before, if someone came at me or mine with the intent to do grave harm, once I decided to fire, I would not stop until the chamber was empty.

If you hunt someone down in an isolated area and attempt to kill them, you have to expect that they will try to kill you first, and might forget 'the rules' while doing so.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'm glad I'm not the one, deciding the outcome of this, on the one hand you have a guy shooting other people in the back, on the other hand the victims were where they had no business being - with criminal intent. Was the guy doing the shooting thinking rationally or was he just reacting to a situation he didn't have a chance to fully evaluate, while in a mindset of rage and fear?

In a situation like this, I would think the rush of adrenaline and 'fight or flight' should qualify as 'temporary insanity'. In that type of situation, I think it reasonable to think that he would not be behaving in a rational manner.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The instant they made the choice to follow him home, there was no coming back for any of them. Dead or in jail was the only way individuals were walking away from that.

What a tragedy.

If you hunt someone down in an isolated area and attempt to kill them, you have to expect that they will try to kill you first, and might forget 'the rules' while doing so.
Yes. I don't think these things get "thought through" before hand.

Also it could have been him dead or permanently disabled either from the beating or the sword.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
As a cop told a friend, if you wound someone who is trying to do you harm, finish him off. That way he can't sue you for damages.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
How so CM?

I agree that all of the evidence should have been admissible. I hate that part of our legal system where facts can be omitted and things twisted and manipulated to appear a certain way. It just obscures the truth, but then I guess "truth is relaltive to where one stands when viewing it".

The perps have a history of home invasions. That in itself doesn't justify that their life be extinguished, but that one of the risks of doing that kind of crime I guess.

The 'victims' track record notwithstanding, how much latitude do we provide the criminals in sheltering them from the consequences of their actions?

The way I see it, that's the chance that the home invaders took when they made a premeditated decision to take their actions... The article stated that the invaders didn't intend to kill him - I had to chuckle; one with a sword and another with a golf club... I'm trying to imagine the degree of permanent injury that would result if they guy actually survived the assault.

I really don't have any sympathy for the invaders and just because they ran away once they realized they brought a knife to a gun fight, doesn't change my mind

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The perps have a history of home invasions. That in itself doesn't justify that their life be extinguished, but that one of the risks of doing that kind of crime I guess.

The 'victims' track record notwithstanding, how much latitude do we provide the criminals in sheltering them from the consequences of their actions?

The way I see it, that's the chance that the home invaders took when they made a premeditated decision to take their actions... The article stated that the invaders didn't intend to kill him - I had to chuckle; one with a sword and another with a golf club... I'm trying to imagine the degree of permanent injury that would result if they guy actually survived the assault.

I really don't have any sympathy for the invaders and just because they ran away once they realized they brought a knife to a gun fight, doesn't change my mind
I agree with everything you have said. The place where I will fault him is on the alteration of the weapon.

I still wonder what killing like that does to one's psyche. It can't be good.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I agree with everything you have said. The place where I will fault him is on the alteration of the weapon.

I still wonder what killing like that does to one's psyche. It can't be good.

Irrelevant. He changed nothing on the weapon. Clips are interchangeable. Not that long ago they were legal to own as well.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yes. I don't think these things get "thought through" before hand.

Also it could have been him dead or permanently disabled either from the beating or the sword.

It's not like this was a robbery gone bad. They showed up with the express purpose of killing him. If he'd survived the night, it would have been by accident. It's not a 'could have been him dead'. Making him dead was why they showed up. That's what makes this case such a cut and dry in my mind. So often these are 'robberies gone bad', etc. This case was pure self defense.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
IMO he was fully justified to shoot the invaders as they were retreating. We don't know if they were leaving or just regrouping with more firepower and as usual the police arrived just in time to bust the victim. One thing for sure, they will not be repeat offenders.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Irrelevant. He changed nothing on the weapon. Clips are interchangeable. Not that long ago they were legal to own as well.
Hm, thanks for the info taxslave.

I wonder then, which army he thought was arriving. Because they did.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There is one other dimension here that might be worth investigating/considering. It happened in Cambridge Bay (which I know and probably lots of others know next to nothing about) which might not be the same little cozy community with white picket fences that is found in southern Canada.