CWB Ad Puts Bees In Bonnets

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Apparently it's offensive to women.

The ad features a 1969 print called "Hi-Ho, Silver," which shows a young woman in a cowboy hat and skirt straddling a fence. The caption says: "Still on the fence?" and encourages farmers to choose the wheat board for marketing grain.

Read more: Canadian Wheat Board

I guess these people have never seen a bull have it's sphincter tickled.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

The ad features a 1969 print called "Hi-Ho, Silver," which shows a young woman in a cowboy hat and skirt straddling a fence. The caption says: "Still on the fence?" and encourages farmers to choose the wheat board for marketing grain.

At least not in fly season

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Who are these people that keep getting offended by anything and everything and can we get them to shut the hell up once in a while? For crying out loud have any of these people cracked open a magazine or seen a television ad in the last 20 years?

But the National Farmers Union is questioning what an image of a long-legged woman straddling a fence has to do with selling grain.
Sex sells and the metaphor of someone sitting on a fence to represent those who are on the fence with a decision is apparently beyond the National Farmers Union. And a drawing at that, it's not even a picture. Are the NFU all Amish or something?

You know there are so many things in the world worth being offended over. This really isn't one of them

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Who are these people that keep getting offended by anything and everything and can we get them to shut the hell up once in a while? For crying out loud have any of these people cracked open a magazine or seen a television ad in the last 20 years?

Sex sells and the metaphor of someone sitting on a fence to represent those who are on the fence with a decision is apparently beyond the National Farmers Union. And a drawing at that, it's not even a picture. Are the NFU all Amish or something?

You know there are so many things in the world worth being offended over. This really isn't one of them
I'm offended that you are not offended.

Actually, I'm jealous of the fence rail.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
lt could have been more modern but latex rips too easy when there is barbed wire around.

Now THAT would have been an ad! Swap out that lasso for a whip and I guarantee all those hold outs would be making a decision right quick. ;)

Well, maybe there would a few who would hold out for a bit longer, lol.

Barbed wire is offensive.
No, it's just pointy and sharp.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Quite probably they have which is why they are offended. Most of the adds today insult everyones intelligence.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Has everyone failed to notice the ugly splinter that has impaled her skirt? She seems to have moved forward
on the fence and there are other splinters waiting. Seems a bit offensive to me.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I thought maybe cowboys were going to be offended.

Has everyone failed to notice the ugly splinter that has impaled her skirt? She seems to have moved forward
on the fence and there are other splinters waiting. Seems a bit offensive to me.
Why, because her lips are in danger?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

Nah. It's offensive to anyone with a brain. Just like 99.9% of ads in general.

Me either. But I have had my arm in up to the pits trying to grab a foal and set it on the right course inside its mum. (Wasn't my idea, it was the vet's).

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The print isn't offensive to women, it's just a piece of art work. The decision to use it as a broad based marketing campaign is however, dismissive of women as workers in farming. Which, in this day and age is sheer stupidity.