NDP- Mulcair- Quebec Separation 50% plus 1 –

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I mentioned this when he was elected Leader. It is an idiotic policy that does nothing but pander to Quebec.

The bill proposes that the Quebec Court of Appeals would have the final say if the Feds and Quebec differ over the wording of the question for Sovereignty. Total disregard for the SCoC and its position in Canada.

Tom Mulcair would replace Clarity Act with ‘unity bill’ | Canadian Politics | Canada | News | National Post

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair has waded into the national unity swamp, with proposed legislation specifying that a bare majority Yes vote would be sufficient to trigger negotiations on Quebec’s secession from Canada.
New Democrat MP Craig Scott tabled Monday what his party is dubbing the “unity bill.”
The bill would repeal the Clarity Act — introduced by former Liberal prime minister Jean Chretien after Quebecers came within a hair of voting to secede in 1995 — and replace it with legislation which Mulcair maintained would provide more certainty and be more respectful of Quebecers.
Its introduction Monday was designed to counter a Bloc Quebecois motion calling for a total repeal of the Clarity Act.

The NDP bill goes further than the Clarity Act in spelling out what would constitute a clear question, offering two examples: “Should Quebec become a sovereign country” or “Should Quebec separate from Canada and become a sovereign country.” Wording agreed upon by both the federal and provincial government would also be acceptable.

Should the question be deemed insufficiently clear, the bill would require the federal government to refer the matter immediately to the Quebec Court of Appeal, which would have the final say.
Trudeau denounces NDP's Quebec secession proposal as 'political calculation' - The Globe and Mail

Liberal leadership candidate Justin Trudeau is slamming an NDP proposal to allow the breakup of Canada through a simple majority in a referendum, saying the plan can only serve to further divide the two opposition parties.
Speaking in Calgary, Mr. Trudeau was reacting to a new NDP bill that would open the door to Quebec secession with a result of 50 per cent plus one, as long as the question is direct and refers clearly to the goal of separation.

Trudeau knocks Mulcair for 50-plus-1 stance on separation - Canada - CBC News

jariax

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2006
I mentioned this when he was elected Leader. It is an idiotic policy that does nothing but pander to Quebec.

The bill proposes that the Quebec Court of Appeals would have the final say if the Feds and Quebec differ over the wording of the question for Sovereignty. Total disregard for the SCoC and its position in Canada.

Tom Mulcair would replace Clarity Act with ‘unity bill’ | Canadian Politics | Canada | News | National Post

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair has waded into the national unity swamp, with proposed legislation specifying that a bare majority Yes vote would be sufficient to trigger negotiations on Quebec’s secession from Canada.
New Democrat MP Craig Scott tabled Monday what his party is dubbing the “unity bill.”
The bill would repeal the Clarity Act — introduced by former Liberal prime minister Jean Chretien after Quebecers came within a hair of voting to secede in 1995 — and replace it with legislation which Mulcair maintained would provide more certainty and be more respectful of Quebecers.
Its introduction Monday was designed to counter a Bloc Quebecois motion calling for a total repeal of the Clarity Act.

The NDP bill goes further than the Clarity Act in spelling out what would constitute a clear question, offering two examples: “Should Quebec become a sovereign country” or “Should Quebec separate from Canada and become a sovereign country.” Wording agreed upon by both the federal and provincial government would also be acceptable.

Should the question be deemed insufficiently clear, the bill would require the federal government to refer the matter immediately to the Quebec Court of Appeal, which would have the final say.
Trudeau denounces NDP's Quebec secession proposal as 'political calculation' - The Globe and Mail

Liberal leadership candidate Justin Trudeau is slamming an NDP proposal to allow the breakup of Canada through a simple majority in a referendum, saying the plan can only serve to further divide the two opposition parties.
Speaking in Calgary, Mr. Trudeau was reacting to a new NDP bill that would open the door to Quebec secession with a result of 50 per cent plus one, as long as the question is direct and refers clearly to the goal of separation.

Trudeau knocks Mulcair for 50-plus-1 stance on separation - Canada - CBC News
It's fine as long as they understand that they take their full share of the national debt with them.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It's fine as long as they understand that they take their full share of the national debt with them.

Banks buy debt- Who would by their debt. Those that did would place a high premium on their bonds due to the debt levels and deficits.
That is why the Provinces as a whole are a threat to the Dollar with their high debts and deficits.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It is generally agreed the fifty percent plus one is the number and he merely made his position
clear. As for others and when the other referendum took place it was fifty percent plus one
no one howled when it was agreed to by the others so what is the big deal here. I support the
concept of fifty percent plus one as well either people want to be in or out.
As for Quebec the last polling I saw demonstrated people are not in a separation mood anyway.
I think the last numbers I saw less than forty percent want to leave. And you don't want them
to leave either it would kick the hell out of our dollar and lead to international instability.
I am not anti Quebec or Alberta or Nova Scotia I think this country is dysfunctional be hey we all
live together and dysfunction is part of our makeup.
constitutional issues and referendum questions are clear and that should be the case, I see
nothing big or earth shattering here at all.