Brazil nightclub fire death toll rises to 245

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Authorities have confirmd 245 people died early today after fire swept through a nightclub in southern Brazil, and they are investigating reports a fireworks show on stage may have started the blaze.

The official cause of the tragedy is unknown, but there are reports the fire may have been caused by a band's pyrotechnics display at the Kiss club in Santa Maria, 300 kilometres west of the state capital, Porto Alegre.

The Diário de Santa Maria website said the fire broke out around 2 a.m. local time Sunday.

It appears sparks ignited acoustic tiles lining the ceiling, Andrew Downie, a correspondent for Time magazine in Brazil, told CBC News. The blaze quickly spread and thick smoke filled the venue.

more

Brazil nightclub fire death toll rises to 245 - World - CBC News

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
That makes me sad and angry. That someone was that dumb and/or negligent. I also hold the local police and fire authorities partly responsible if they inspected and approved this event or night club.

Related

eao: Great Fires 2001–2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...1.E2.80.932012

Notice how many were in Canada? Firefighting is more than just putting out fires. Its also about preventing them in the first place

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/c...smoking-mad-aboutthe-firefighters-unions.html

I also add the authorities have the duty to eliminate fire hazards, impose limits to prevent over crowding, regulate exits to ensure adequate escape routes and impose other fire prevention and harm reduction measures so that tragedies like this can't happen.

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Didn't Brazil have a similar event a few years ago? Overcrowded venue, locked exit doors.

From the first article in DaSleeper's google link:

Nightclubs in the region have suffered similar tragedies in recent years, partly because of weak safety supervision by local governments.
But the first article states that the club's capacity was 2000 I think and the same article as the above quote states that there were "more than" 1000 in the club when the fire broke out, which doesn't really scream to me that it was over capacity.

The Globo television network reported that the fire broke out around 2 a.m. local time, when the Kiss nightclub was crowded with more than 1,000 revelers.
But having only the one exit certainly contributed to the death count as well as, I presume, the pyrotechnic display from the band.

Despite all the bitching and moaning that goes on, these stories do make me glad that I live in a nation with stringent fire codes and venue licenses.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Brazil is basically a RCC country. I'm sure this has to be the RCC's fault, some how.