Go West Old Man

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Cause other than rich government employees few can afford to retire at 55. The job situation in the rest of Canada is such that many are forced to commute to Alberta to finish out their work career.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Cause other than rich government employees few can afford to retire at 55. The job situation in the rest of Canada is such that many are forced to commute to Alberta to finish out their work career.

From what I can gather from the news, Sask. or Newfy may be the place to go, Alison is screaming "poverty".

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
From what I can gather from the news, Sask. or Newfy may be the place to go, Alison is screaming "poverty".

A self-imposed poverty of royalty structures, the flat tax, and no sales tax.

Also
"Western Canada Select traded $42.50 a barrel less than U.S. crude on Dec. 14, the most since Bloomberg began keeping records. Canadian companies are forgoing about C$2.5 billion a month because of the lower prices, according to an estimate by Houston-based investment bank PPHB Securities LP. The differential is costing the Canadian economy C$27 billion a year, Horner said. "
-BloombergBusiness Week

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Also
"Western Canada Select traded $42.50 a barrel less than U.S. crude on Dec. 14, the most since Bloomberg began keeping records. Canadian companies are forgoing about C$2.5 billion a month because of the lower prices, according to an estimate by Houston-based investment bank PPHB Securities LP. The differential is costing the Canadian economy C$27 billion a year, Horner said. "
-BloombergBusiness Week

Deleted

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Also
-BloombergBusiness Week

And the oil is landlocked- Pipelines or bust is what it comes down to.

No a duplicate post on over 55 aged workers

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Most people I know over 55 still choose to work. Do people have so little faith in the intelligence and wherewithal of 'the old folks' as to think the government runs their lives?

Hubby's dad is a prime example. He retired at 60, and now works three jobs by choice. He's enjoying this form of retirement more than he ever enjoyed working before, because he can afford to tell his employers to pound sand at any given moment. He sets his own hours, his own limits, and does only the jobs he wants to do. For example, he's on 'days off' from the lumber yard right now because it's winter and he doesn't want to work the winter there.

He takes home a pay cheque, pays taxes, and shows up on these stats. That doesn't mean he 'has' to work.

My dad's gearing up for his 60th birthday, and aiming for a similar retirement for sanity and health sake. With arthritis in his back and hands, it's healthier than sitting at home, where he knows he won't move enough to keep ahead of the stiffness.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Hypothetical argument #1
If I were over 55, I would continue working because I am the only one on this planet who could do my job. However, that is not the case for all seniors of retirement age. Do you not think the elders are robbing youth of their rightful patrimony?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Hypothetical argument #1
If I were over 55, I would continue working because I am the only one on this planet who could do my job. However, that is not the case for all seniors of retirement age. Do you not think the elders are robbing youth of their rightful patrimony?

I will be 56 in Mar. Plan is for my wife to retire earlier than I- And like you i am the only one on the planet that can do my job.
And I like staying busy. So if my health stays OK I will be working well into my 60's. Pending a large Lotto Win.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I will be 56 in Mar. Plan is for my wife to retire earlier than I- And like you i am the only one on the planet that can do my job.
And I like staying busy. So if my health stays OK I will be working well into my 60's. Pending a large Lotto Win.

And, there's the key. Money is freedom; work is slavery.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hypothetical argument #1

First of all no one has an automatic "right" to a job. That comes through successful competition. I doubt if there is any right or wrong answer. If you can provide a service better than anyone else then hanging in there is justified. Quite often an older person can afford to work cheaper than a younger person. However I would add that if a person is working solely because he/she is bored not working, they have a problem.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
First of all no one has an automatic "right" to a job. That comes through successful competition. I doubt if there is any right or wrong answer. If you can provide a service better than anyone else then hanging in there is justified. Quite often an older person can afford to work cheaper than a younger person. However I would add that if a person is working solely because he/she is bored not working, they have a problem.

Hypothetical #2
Suppose the old curmudgeon has a pension and therefore can work for less than a youth with family. Is that not like financial ethnic cleansing?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Most people I know over 55 still choose to work. Do people have so little faith in the intelligence and wherewithal of 'the old folks' as to think the government runs their lives?

Hubby's dad is a prime example. He retired at 60, and now works three jobs by choice. He's enjoying this form of retirement more than he ever enjoyed working before, because he can afford to tell his employers to pound sand at any given moment. He sets his own hours, his own limits, and does only the jobs he wants to do. For example, he's on 'days off' from the lumber yard right now because it's winter and he doesn't want to work the winter there.

He takes home a pay cheque, pays taxes, and shows up on these stats. That doesn't mean he 'has' to work.

My dad's gearing up for his 60th birthday, and aiming for a similar retirement for sanity and health sake. With arthritis in his back and hands, it's healthier than sitting at home, where he knows he won't move enough to keep ahead of the stiffness.

Good for both of them, Karrie. I'll be turning 64 in a couple of months and have my own house-cleaning and house-sitting business. The cleaning gets me out and exercising and the house-sitting gives me a chance to help others - both provide me with a decent wage.