Kelowna house destroyed by partiers!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Kelowna Capital News - Arrests made in Kelowna house party

Has no one learned a thing from the Stanley Cup riots? Why do young people today have so little respect for others' property. Is it because the little bastards are provided with luxury at no cost and are never taught gratitude? Disgusting!

There was a study done in the States that your remarks brought to mind, JLM. I'll see if I can find it online. Basically what it found was that the majority of students who took part were narcissistic, had an over-weening sense of self but little to show for it, and they do not play well with others making them poor candidates as a team member.

I can only imagine how the couple's son must feel. I remember the same thing happening when my sisters and I threw a party that got out of hand, and this long before the days of twits and such, we had to call the police who managed to arrive about the same time as my parents who had been out for the evening, knew we were having some friends over and were just as surprised as us. We did have a fine time once the riff raff were gone.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This was deliberate apparently. The parents put the son in charge, and he is not a resident
of the home. Allegedly he put out a call for a party with intent to just let it all hang out at least
that is the story I heard. There have always been parties that trashed houses that goes back
more than forty years. I remember them happening when I was much younger. Not every
week but they did happen

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This was deliberate apparently. The parents put the son in charge, and he is not a resident
of the home. Allegedly he put out a call for a party with intent to just let it all hang out at least
that is the story I heard. There have always been parties that trashed houses that goes back
more than forty years. I remember them happening when I was much younger. Not every
week but they did happen

When I was a young buck working in Terrace in 1962, one of the cities more affluent members and his wife left for the weekend and the son decided to have a party, which got a little ugly and out of hand, but nothing like this, all the food in the cupboards got eaten and the place was a mess like a hurricane had passed through but no willful damage as I recall, with the exception of maybe a few fights breaking out, basically fists, no guns or knives. There was lots of booze, but no drugs that I was aware of anyway. These kids today are definitely a different breed.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
JLM I do remember the days when fists were used not gun or knives.
Yes there was a mess, and some damage done but not to the extent
of damage done today
Several years ago we went out and one of our daughters had invited
a few people over and it started to get out of hand. You know that
little voice that tells you something is not quite right? I decided we
should go home within the first hour, and sure enough there were about
forty there already and she was having trouble controlling things.
I was lucky we got people out before damage was done,
I can only imagine the feeling going on in that family what a bloody mess

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
In my youth, long long ago :) we had house parties and we would get blind drunk. I don't remember anything getting broken ever and it would never have occurred to us to willfully destroy the home that we were partying in. The damage if anything would be someone puking somewhere other than the bathroom but for the most part we looked after each other so that didn't happen much either.

We all had to work the next day usually and would go in sick and hung over to do our little shifts.

So I ask myself, why we didn't destroy the property because we sure were drunk and stoned. For us it was because we had respect for ourselves (to the degree that a teen is capable of that) and I would have been so embarrassed to think that I was unwelcome in someone's home because I was not mature enough to respect their property.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In my youth, long long ago :) we had house parties and we would get blind drunk. I don't remember anything getting broken ever and it would never have occurred to us to willfully destroy the home that we were partying in. The damage if anything would be someone puking somewhere other than the bathroom but for the most part we looked after each other so that didn't happen much either.

We all had to work the next day usually and would go in sick and hung over to do our little shifts.

So I ask myself, why we didn't destroy the property because we sure were drunk and stoned. For us it was because we had respect for ourselves (to the degree that a teen is capable of that) and I would have been so embarrassed to think that I was unwelcome in someone's home because I was not mature enough to respect their property.

Exactly and one other thing we had was a sense of values. I wonder sometimes if as the family unit (as we knew it) is quickly eroding and kids aren't getting enough attention (and discipline) while they are small and hence when they get to the 20s they are craving attention any way they can get it.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Kelowna Capital News - Arrests made in Kelowna house party

Has no one learned a thing from the Stanley Cup riots? Why do young people today have so little respect for others' property. Is it because the little bastards are provided with luxury at no cost and are never taught gratitude? Disgusting!

Why the hell are you assuming everyone in a certain age group behaves the same?

..and why the **** is my font converted?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Where did I say that? You are the one doing the assuming methinks!-:)

You never qualified what proportion of "young people" and your statement can reasonably be assumed to imply all of them.

I mean, off the cuff, if you feel there are some little ****s out there that's fine, but that's not the way the OP plays out.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You never qualified what proportion of "young people" and your statement can reasonably be assumed to imply all of them.

I mean, off the cuff, if you feel there are some little ****s out there that's fine, but that's not the way the OP plays out.

I don't think so, the OP was referring to the ones that did the damage, I don't recall mentioning anyone else!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
asked his 17-year-old son to watch the couple's dogs. His son, in turn, invited a handful of friends over and then left to run an errand,

"running an errand"....is that what they call "scoring a flap" these days?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This must be a one off. Kids are lame these days.

Well, to give M.F. credit I really think it is just SOME kids. I do have some contact with young people as we have two granddaughters living with us and hear of a few troubled kids and many of them are from families where the traditional family unit is not intact.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Kids these days... no respect.

That always makes me chuckle. Particularly when I hear it from the Baby Boomers.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
My kid use to have the occasional party. She made everyone smoke outside..and they did. Funny thing is my wife and I smoke(d) indoors. They even made sure they had rides home.

Kids these days...LAME!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Exactly and one other thing we had was a sense of values. I wonder sometimes if as the family unit (as we knew it) is quickly eroding and kids aren't getting enough attention (and discipline) while they are small and hence when they get to the 20s they are craving attention any way they can get it.
I don't know...I did not come from a typical family that's for sure. And I had no curfew and neither did my close friends and sometimes I would just crash at my girlfriends or vice versa. Some kids just seem to "get it" maybe because it is just an expectation placed upon them that they accept.

I see that too today. I would just trust them. At school the kids who were covering the office had to be responsible, really responsible. I let anyone do the job who applied. I just gave them a few rules, told them they were responsible for setting up the coverage schedule, gave them a cheat sheet on how I wanted things done and then I left them alone.i told them they would never get in trouble for asking questions, that no question was stupid, then I would correct any problems that were reported to me. Basically I left them alone pretty much like my parents did with me. I was never disappointed.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
And my generation... Generation X is not much better these days when getting down on the youth.

I was at my friend's mothers wake and one of my buddies (who I hadn't seen in years) said...

"Kids these days have no respect for adults."

I looked at him and laughed.

"Mark... are you kidding! You were the biggest wise azz to adults. You were the first one to tell an adult to 'F*** Off' when we were young."

"Yeah... I guess you're right."

And he was. He was such a smart azz when we were kids out and about. Always had a smart mouth to store managers, swearing loudly around little kids with their parents around, etc.