On line dating turned deadly

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I'll second that. Met a few angels and sent as many loonies to the curb. Online, you can be anyone you want. Once that honeymoon's over....
As long as you didn't find her boiling your bunny, guess it could have been worse...

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You know, people get 'taken in' all the time in face to face encounters too. I just think a lot of people don't pay the right amount of attention to warning signs. Of course, there are those semi-professional con artists or true psychopaths that can fool just about anybody. But on the whole I don't believe getting to know someone online is really all that different than getting to know them elsewhere. You just have to pay attention and don't do anything incredibly stupid like give out personal identifiable information too soon. But really is that any different than meeting someone at a party?

Does taking one leg off everything that could be unscrewed count? Rabbit stew's good stuff....

As long as no rabbits died, in any manner of speaking, you're probably safe. ;)

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I know a few people who have met online and out of them all only one couple is happily married with three kids (two of their own, one from a previous relationship on the mother's side). They're great people.

But I agree, rare case. After meeting someone online myself, I'd be wary to go that route again, unless I really, really knew the person.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm glad I' married young. I completely missed this Internet dating thing.

To me it looks like shopping for a used car.

A used car that is a narcissist.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
But I agree, rare case. After meeting someone online myself, I'd be wary to go that route again, unless I really, really knew the person.

And that's the key to the whole thing, using common sense and not jumping into anything.

While what the woman went through in the news article was horrific, there have been just as many abusive, stalking, and murderous tales that come out of meeting someone by any method. By no means is it my intention to promote on line dating or meeting anyone that you get to know on line but the whole attitude towards it that we seem to have is really indicative of where we are in society. We want quick, band-aid solutions to our problems, we want someone/something else to take responsibility for our choices. We just seem to be, as a whole, moving further and further away from personal responsibility for the paths we are choosing for ourselves.

There are no absolute certainties in life, but a little forethought, a little planning, a little diligence can go a long way.