Man acquitted of child sex assault after serving 8 years

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Man acquitted of child sex assault after serving 8 years - Edmonton - CBC News

An Edmonton man who spent eight years in prison for sexually assaulting his nine-year-old stepson has been acquitted after the boy said that his biological father forced him to lie.

The man, who cannot be named under a publication ban, was convicted in 1995 and served his entire prison sentence. He was denied parole because he refused to admit to the offence.

The Alberta Court of Appeal directed a verdict of acquittal in a decision released Monday.

When the child made the claims in the early 90s, his biological parents were involved in a bitter custody battle. Charges were laid after he said his mother's common-law partner sexually assaulted him.

About five years into his stepfather’s sentence, the boy went back to live with his mother.

That’s when he told her that his biological father forced him to make up the story after threatening him with a knife.

While he was still in prison, the stepfather applied to the federal minister of justice for a review of the case.

A special commissioner, Justice Ernest Marshall, was appointed to look at whether the boy’s recantation of his original story could be admitted as fresh evidence.

The commissioner called a number of witnesses, including the boy, who is now an adult. His biological father also testified and denied forcing his son to lie.

In a report sent last year to the Alberta Court of Appeal, the commissioner found the boy’s original testimony to be unreliable and said that his evidence during the trial “consisted of accusations punctuated by retractions,” the appeal decision said.

The commissioner came to the conclusion that the boy’s recantations were “worthy of belief.”

“Consideration of this testimony gives rise to a reasonable inference that the allegations were false and the recantations were correct,” he wrote in his report.

The man's lawyer told CBC News that his client is relieved that the matter is over. The man is now back with his common-law wife and is on good terms with his stepson.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Eight years lost, a life destroyed by false allegations... and the matter is over? I don't think so.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I hope the biological father ends up on the business end of a major lawsuit if not criminal charges for his part. If the kid was forced to lie, there is not way the adult who made him do it should not pay a price for that.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I hope the biological father ends up on the business end of a major lawsuit if not criminal charges for his part. If the kid was forced to lie, there is not way the adult who made him do it should not pay a price for that.

The Step son has no credibility- recanting during the trial on certain points. Just the way the law would look upon it.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Eight years lost, a life destroyed by false allegations... and the matter is over? I don't think so.

If it's over that's a travesty of justice as far as I'm concerned.

The Step son has no credibility- recanting during the trial on certain points. Just the way the law would look upon it.

The step son was a child, the way I read it, it seems as though, upon review, his childhood testimony was dubious. It needs to be followed up as to why this child lied. I don't believe they do it on their own ever, I'd bet real money the father had a hand in it. And, if so, he should be penalized for that.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
If it's over that's a travesty of justice as far as I'm concerned.

The step son was a child, the way I read it, it seems as though, upon review, his childhood testimony was dubious. It needs to be followed up as to why this child lied. I don't believe they do it on their own ever, I'd bet real money the father had a hand in it. And, if so, he should be penalized for that.

The problems reside in powers assigned. The Parole Board had the information at year 5 of incarceration - They refused his parole as he would not accept his deviancy and so forth. He refused to confess to false charges.

The problems also reside in the amount of time it takes to address these situations.
The we have Crown P's that have been known to present false evidence, knowingly doing this - subverting Justice. And yet they are not held to account. WTF is wrong with that - If that does not bring Justice into question, no disrepute cI do not know what it would take.

France has a perjury law. If convicted of perjury the person testifying falsely is subject to the same penalties that the person they testified against.

Could be a max of 2 years - could be life. Does have some positives -

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
How many here could loose a single year out of their lives, & not be completely
screwed? A year of missed mortgage & car payments, etc...to emerge homeless
& jobless. I'd be screwed.

Wouldn't we all?

The problems reside in powers assigned. The Parole Board had the information at year 5 of incarceration - They refused his parole as he would not accept his deviancy and so forth. He refused to confess to false charges.

That's the same reason that Steve Truscott was not paroled earlier than he was. He refused to admit to the charges. Once you admit it, it's even more difficult to take it back.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
How many here could loose a single year out of their lives, & not be completely
screwed? A year of missed mortgage & car payments, etc...to emerge homeless
& jobless. I'd be screwed.

And people like this gentleman get thrown under the bus. The Govt can make a settlement with him I cannot recall the legal term for this, and yes they have to have it signed off. But the Govt - Canadians- have a moral duty to compensate this man.

Oh I am sure the FFn bean counters have a scale of compensation for this.

But how do you compensate for rumors as they will follow him till he dies, loss of income,loss of opportunity, the hell of Prisons and then 8 years of life that can never be made up.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Sadly, it will be the taxpayers who will foot the bill. Thus, everybody except the for biological father will pay the price for those lies.

There is no proof outside of what the son has now stated. He had been found later that his testimony was not truth=full, and this was determined by the Commissioner that was appointed by the Appeals Court. Then he manned up and told the truth. So it comes down to 1 mans word against a 10 year old's who has already found to be wanting in truthfulness. The lawyers do not have a legal leg to stand on.
Just the facts.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Several studies have been done on hundreds of similar cases which found such claims to be true. I certainly came across enough of them in my law school days. Unfortunately, the statute of limitations to prosecute the biological father has expired and nothing will happen to him.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Several studies have been done on hundreds of similar cases which found such claims to be true. I certainly came across enough of them in my law school days. Unfortunately, the statute of limitations to prosecute the biological father has expired and nothing will happen to him.
That is not the reason why his lawyer would lose. Read my post

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
How could there have been any actual evidence? Just what was the basis for the conviction? Does "beyond a reasonable doubt" mean so little? Is it really so unreasonable to think that people are lying?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Is it really so unreasonable to think that people are lying?

They often do. Then, after the statute of limitations expire, sworn testimony gets retracted. Victims gets some compensation but ultimately it is society that pays.