Snowpocalypse Russia

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
'Snow tsunami' swallows streets, cars, buildings (PHOTOS)

more

Snowpocalypse Russia: 'Snow tsunami' swallows streets, cars, buildings (PHOTOS) — RT

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I can remember snow tunnels from the front door that towered over my head at my grandparents place like this one.

Of course I was four at the time so the words "towering over my head" have to be considered from that perspective, lol.

Jeepers but that is a lot of freaking snow.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Falling snow and ice caused many accidents due to poor visibility and bad road conditions. Moscow witnessed a 13-kilometer jam on MKAD, one of the city's main highways, reducing speeds to 10 to 25 kph in the capital.
omg nightmare

and this piece is phenomenal;
Falling snow and ice caused many accidents due to poor visibility and bad road conditions. Moscow witnessed a 13-kilometer jam on MKAD, one of the city's main highways, reducing speeds to 10 to 25 kph in the capital.
he polar circle city of Norilsk has been buried under 10 feet of snow – entire apartment blocks, markets, stores and offices were buried under snow overnight. Banks of snow were as high as two people put together, reaching the second-story windows of some apartment buildings. Cars, stores, garages were blocked. Norilsk metropolitan workers were forced to dig passageways through the snow banks to create access between the outside world and the barricaded city.
even as technologically advanced as we are, mother nature can still do us in, right in the heart of a major city

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I can remember snow tunnels from the front door that towered over my head at my grandparents place like this one.
Ditto.

Although my perspective was cemented by the fact that I could climb to the top of the snow and walk onto the roof.

Which was always met with "Get off the roof!!!"

I really miss real snow.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
omg nightmare

and this piece is phenomenal;
even as technologically advanced as we are, mother nature can still do us in, right in the heart of a major city

That's right and that's something we often tend to forget in our city complacent lifestyles.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
At least this wasn't the little bit of freezing drizzle that paralyzed Vancouver last week. I don't know how those Russians would have dealt with that.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Ditto.

Although my perspective was cemented by the fact that I could climb to the top of the snow and walk onto the roof.

Which was always met with "Get off the roof!!!"

I really miss real snow.

I can remember, clearly, the long 'tunnel' to the detached garage (about 20 to 25 feet behind the house, house was on a corner so the driveway was in the backyard) and just how pristine the walls were. My grandfather was a fastidious man.

And I not surprised you used it as an opportunity to get on the roof, lol. What fun that must have been.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I can remember, clearly, the long 'tunnel' to the detached garage (about 20 to 25 feet behind the house, house was on a corner so the driveway was in the backyard) and just how pristine the walls were. My grandfather was a fastidious man.
You'd swear those old guys used a level and plane to square those walls eh?

And I not surprised you used it as an opportunity to get on the roof, lol. What fun that must have been.
Running from one side to the other, jumping at the edge to see how far we could make it away from the house, and how deep we could sink.

It was a hoot.

The best was a huge old abandoned A frame chalet about a 20 minute walk into the bush, we nailed branches to the southern exposed side and tobogganed down the north.

Not to mention the snow combined with the lower bows of the surrounding old growth pines provided us with a cavernous base of operations for winter warfare.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
It's the gore effect, it seems wherever he goes cold weather attends him. Was Al visiting Russia lately?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

They must have had laser levels for eyes, lol. It's amazing when I think back to it. And the driveway which he'd done in asphalt (he actually built the entire house up from a two room 'shack' they bought when they were first married, including putting in a basement-just the two of them, lol) but the driveway was a perfect rectangle of black in a sea of white.

Perfectionism as a description doesn't quite do it justice.

Running from one side to the other, jumping at the edge to see how far we could make it away from the house, and how deep we could sink.

It was a hoot.
I seem to remember someone, probably my brother as that's the kind of thing he would do, doing something similar from the roof of the garage. I of course did not as that's the kind of thing one would get in trouble for. Yes, I was that type of kid.

I'd do it now though. ;)

The best was a huge old abandoned A frame chalet about a 20 minute walk into the bush, we nailed branches to the southern exposed side and tobogganed down the north.

Not to mention the snow combined with the lower bows of the surrounding old growth pines provided us with a cavernous base of operations for winter warfare.
I vaguely remember doing some tobogganing and snowmobiling in the bush, to be honest my best memories are of summertime as we spent our entire summer vacations up north.

Good times though.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

It was a hoot.

I remember winters like this from the early '70's. My Uncles farm was north of Regina on
the south rim of the Qu'appelle Valley (just to the west a few miles from Piapot Res). They
had tunnels in the snow from the house to the barn to the chicken coops, etc....& you could
step out of the hay loft (down about four feet) to the top of the snow.

Many animals where migrating down from the north. Deer where thick, & coyotes too.
Everything looking for food. You could hunt (on your own land) Coyotes from snowmobile at
that time for bounty as there where so many moving though. On snowmobiles, near the valley
rim, you had to keep an eye out for power & phone lines or they'd clothesline you.

Piles of snow along the #6 highway in the ditches tall enough that you couldn't see over from
the car, & the only break was the road approaches that you could see down. In the city in the
more open areas, there where snow drifts up around eves-troughs. I haven't seen anything
like that since. Must be global warming or something....

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
It doesn't look all that bad-Russians are chronic complainers and most of those photos are taken from an angle to make the snow look worse than it is.

And this is a classic-a bottle of booze in a snow bank-drunken Russians @ their finest or as someone once said 'Russia is a country passed out drunk on a park bench'.

Also-I was once again cycling in shorts yesterday and probably again today-it was nice & sunny too.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Bite your tongue....I just finished one hour of shoveling that white shyte....Too damn cold for the snowblower...starter frozen...

The neighbour is borrowing the cord I have strung out to the street to plug in the
cars....with a heat gun...'cuz the starter on his F150 is frozen up right now. Well,
that's his plan anyway once he warms up from try'n to get it started earlier today.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
The neighbour is borrowing the cord I have strung out to the street to plug in the
cars....with a heat gun...'cuz the starter on his F150 is frozen up right now. Well,
that's his plan anyway once he warms up from try'n to get it started earlier today.
I've used a propane tiger torch in a stovepipe to heat up a pickup that wouldn't start in the cold...

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I've used a propane tiger torch in a stovepipe to heat up a pickup that wouldn't start in the cold...

We do the same at work. The heat gun I just happen to have at home, & in the house.
If he doesn't get it going, I'll stop by the shop later & grab a tiger torch & sparker.

My little PT Cruiser (haven't plugged it in yet this winter) fired right up.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
A balmy -3 this morning with no snow in sight for a few days more. Worst we have seen this winter is -9. Nananananana!