Canadians produce more garbage than anyone else

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Canadians use far too much energy and water, and they produce more garbage per capita than any other country on earth, a report from an influential think-tank says.

The Conference Board of Canada gave Canada a C grade on Thursday and ranked it in 15th place among 17 developed nations studied across a host of environmental-efficiency metrics.

"Our large land mass, cold climate and resource-intensive economy make us less likely to rank highly on some indicators of environmental sustainability, but many of our poor results are based on our inefficient use of our resources," said Len Coad, the board's director of energy, environment and technology policy.

The Conference Board measured air pollution, garbage production, energy consumption, water usage and many other factors across 17 developed economies around the world.

While Canada earned a few A grades in categories such as water quality, endangered species and the use of forest resources, overall the country scored a D average.

Canadians produce more garbage than anyone else - Business - CBC News

Texas inventor Harvey Lacey turns trash into earthquake-resistant homes

Texas inventor says his idea of turning trash into treasure could change the way developing countries build and rebuild homes, especially following a natural disaster.

Harvey Lacey says turning polluting materials such as plastic bags and Styrofoam into building blocks is a sustainable option.

The UBUNTU-BLOX machine forms and wires the blocks with human help.

"These blocks will last 500 years," he says.

According to Sam Bloch, executive director of nonprofit Haiti Communitere, trash is one of the most plentiful resources in Haiti, a country still recovering from a devastating earthquake in 2010.

"We're still looking at over half a million people living under tarps, and it has been two years," Bloch said.

Haiti Communitere plans to provide labor training to Haitian women and begin the process of building homes by working with Lacey's machine.

"When we look at all the places in the world, there is a base material there that we can use," Lacey said.

The material is sustainable and durable.

When the blocks, which are tightened by wiring and reinforced with rebar, are tested in simulations of hurricane winds or a 7.0-magnitude earthquake, the structure stands strong.

The blocks are also significantly lighter than cinder blocks, a heavy building material blamed for crushing earthquake victims in the Haiti earthquake.

"It's a common saying that it's not earthquakes that kill people, houses kill people," Bloch says.

Each block only weights about 1.5 pounds.

Bloch and Lacey said that even if a UBUNTU-BLOX home did collapse, it would not have the same crushing effect as one made of cinder blocks.

Following testing in Plano, Lacey and Bloch will leave this week to continue recovery work in Haiti

Texas inventor Harvey Lacey turns trash into earthquake-resistant homes | ksdk.com

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Um, the water on this planet is pretty much a closed system. That means it recycles.

Can blame marketers and business for turning people into consumers. Can blame profiteering for the reason manufacturers make single use items that people throw away.
etc. etc.

It's all about money.

BTW, here, we use the energy from the sources that we built here. We also only throw out 1 regular sized black garbage bag every 3 or 4 months and I am not going to buy a "Ubuntu Blox" machine.
I bet that the vast majority of waste, pollution, inefficient energy usage, etc. comes from cities.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Conference Board of Canada hates Canada and wishes we were Sweden or Norway. What a bunch of ingrates, giving them the best place in the world to live, and they just pis s on it. Go live somewhere else if this place is so awful.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Canadians use far too much energy and water, and they produce more garbage per capita than any other country on earth, a report from an influential think-tank says.

... That's because too many Canadians bought into the AGW nonsense and look where that landed us?... That's right, 100 miles North of Freezingmyf*ckingingassoffville.

Clearly Canadians understand that in order to raise the Earth's temperature to a comfortable level, the responsibility is ours to generate as much garbage as possible to get global warming back on track.

We're Canadians - didn't shirk on D-Day and won't do it now.

You're welcome world

Um, the water on this planet is pretty much a closed system. That means it recycles.

SShhhhhh buddy... I was looking forward to hearing more on this 'non-renewable resource'

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
... That's because too many Canadians bought into the AGW nonsense and look where that landed us?... That's right, 100 miles North of Freezingmyf*ckingingassoffville.

You know, I've always thought that way long ago when the first Europeans crossed the Atlantic and came to these shores, they had a choice. Go south to a warmer climate; sunshine, nice weather, beautiful countryside, lakes, rivers, streams or stay here. Where it gets cold. Really, really cold. Exceptionally frigging cold.

Our forefathers made that choice.

Is it any wonder we're all just a little bit crazy? Cuz they had to be!

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Conference Board of Canada hates Canada and wishes we were Sweden or Norway. What a bunch of ingrates, giving them the best place in the world to live, and they just pis s on it. Go live somewhere else if this place is so awful.

Criticism is not hatred. Most people are also looking to improve things in their lives and that includes where they live. There is always room for improvement.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
You know, I've always thought that way long ago when the first Europeans crossed the Atlantic and came to these shores, they had a choice. Go south to a warmer climate; sunshine, nice weather, beautiful countryside, lakes, rivers, streams or stay here. Where it gets cold. Really, really cold. Exceptionally frigging cold.

Our forefathers made that choice.

Is it any wonder we're all just a little bit crazy? Cuz they had to be!

Well most of them came from a place where the weather wasnt much better. Maybe not most of my ancestors who were Irish, French or English. But the town where I came from in northern Ontario was mostly settled by Ukranians. Now that place isnt much different from Northern Ontario weather wise. Personally I'll take the cold over the heat any day. I find southern Ontario too hot in the summers but thats mostly because of the humidity. I absolutely hate the tropics. I went there once and have no desire ever to go again.

It is to those who live in a black & white, right & left, right & wrong kind of a world. There's no flexibility so there is only one way to look at things.

Oh, true. I guess that time I got a bad report card was not for poor performance but because the teacher hated me. Damn teacher must have been against my political beliefs! :p

Closed on the planet, but it can leave here. Its also extremely expensive to clean. If we didnt use so much of it we wouldnt have to clean it as often. Some water cant be reused for a very long time.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Give Canada some credit we just started to transplant healthy human feces or excrement, into sick people to make them better now that’s what I call recycling.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Well most of them came from a place where the weather wasnt much better. Maybe not most of my ancestors who were Irish, French or English. But the town where I came from in northern Ontario was mostly settled by Ukranians. Now that place isnt much different from Northern Ontario weather wise. Personally I'll take the cold over the heat any day. I find southern Ontario too hot in the summers but thats mostly because of the humidity. I absolutely hate the tropics. I went there once and have no desire ever to go again.

Yes I know, I wasn't serious serious. Just an observation about the choice between mile high snow drifts and bitter north wind vs moderate temperatures and gentle breezes, lol.

But since you brought it up I actually agree about humid climates and yes SWO is bad for that. This last summer here was brutal! However I have also lived in Ottawa, where I believe you are, and the winters there can be bitter cold and by contrast they are fairly mild here.

Oh, true. I guess that time I got a bad report card was not for poor performance but because the teacher hated me. Damn teacher must have been against my political beliefs! :p
Now you're getting it, lol. When you are firmly entrenched in just one camp, no matter what camp that is, anything critical is viewed as a call to war. :)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Canada has several problems to overcome. Canada's location on the globe dictates that we will spend more
just to keep warm. Canada's sheer size makes our major cities further apart than other countries of similar
population. Fortunately, we can take care of our own energy needs. We/ve been blessed by abundant natural
resouces. I don't believe we use appreciably more energy than other countries in similar conditions.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Canada has several problems to overcome. Canada's location on the globe dictates that we will spend more
just to keep warm. Canada's sheer size makes our major cities further apart than other countries of similar
population. Fortunately, we can take care of our own energy needs. We/ve been blessed by abundant natural
resouces. I don't believe we use appreciably more energy than other countries in similar conditions.

New technologies are dependent on a working business model that makes money to sustain a healthy growth until then we are chained to the present that produces more waste.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
New technologies are dependent on a working business model that makes money to sustain a healthy growth until then we are chained to the present that produces more waste.

More waste than whom? or what? If we switched over to nuclear power we could do all sorts of things
cleaner than we do now, but nothing is completely free of problems.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

In many cases if the government would just turn a blind eye to what is happening instead of lending a"helping hand" things would be much better.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
In many cases if the government would just turn a blind eye to what is happening instead of lending a"helping hand" things would be much better.
Do you mean give the rapers and pillagers free reign? Didn't Harpo just do that with C-45?