Victim of cellphone theft embarrasses thief online

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Victim of cellphone theft embarrasses thief online - The Globe and Mail

He calls it “social justice:” A Toronto man whose roommate had her phone stolen has been uploading the thief’s photos online, including some of the young klepto pouting seductively after bleaching her mustache.

The victim had her phone pinched while at a nightclub. Since then, the thief has snapped hundreds of photos using the phone’s camera, “mostly glamour self-shots, smoking weed, and lots of pics of weed and paraphernalia,” wrote “El_mochilero,” the roommate of the victim.

The furry dope fiend doesn’t realize the phone is beaming her mortifying self-portraits back to a Dropbox account that is actually shared by the roommate’s colleagues at work. (No word on why someone would document their intimate hair removal process, but hell, she’s a modern teenager.) The photos have also been viewed nearly 7,000 times on imgur.com, and are now gaining traction on Reddit as well.

“Any leads would be nice... if not, please have a good laugh!” wrote El_mochilero. He clarified later: “We’re not even that concerned about getting the phone back. This social justice is too much fun.” And then some more, when it was clear the pair were being criticized for posting the photos: “I'm trying to find a phone and to get this person to stop posting pictures to my account, not mob vigilante justice. The phone was stolen a while ago, but the photos keep coming to my dropbox account. This account is shared with other people, including some co-workers. Now it is full of pics of bongs, weed, and some girl’s fat face.”

Ouch. But while the voyeurism is gleefully satisfying, apparently the photo-posters have their limits: They’ve asked readers to “keep things civilized” and not to post information about the thief publicly.

It isn’t the first time a hapless smartphone pilferer has mugged elaborately for the camera, not bothering to wipe the stolen device first. The results are always amusing.

Last year, after a Disney cruise passenger had her iPhone stolen, the device began beaming back photos of the thief and his crew via her Apple iCloud account. (In that case, the ransacker was a Disney staff member.) Pissed off, the woman uploaded his sunset-party pics to a Facebook photo gallery titled “Stolen iPhone Adventures,” which quickly went viral.

And in August, a man rallied his friends together after spotting his stolen bike (worth $2,500) on Craigslist. The group drove 257 kilometres from Portland to Seattle to confront the thief – while taping it all, of course.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
If it was me I'd find a way (there must be a way) to send all photos back to the phone along with all the commentary.

But that might just be me.

justice is sweet

It is because it lacks that certain je nais se quois of chocolate covered caramels. Mmmmmmm.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
chocolate covered caramels..... excuse me....SNAP ... you did not just place that thought in my head... no you did not, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, OMG chocolate covered caramels, my favourite thing in the whole world except for a turtles blizzard which is exactly the same thing, except....with ice cream...

*sob*

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
funny you should mention turtles, I just ate my last one.

note to self, buy more turtles tonight.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
chocolate covered caramels..... excuse me....SNAP ... you did not just place that thought in my head... no you did not, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, OMG chocolate covered caramels, my favourite thing in the whole world except for a turtles blizzard which is exactly the same thing, except....with ice cream...

*sob*

It was on the brain, I just had a chocolate bar whilst waiting for my Friday night delivery. (The food is good but they take forever! )

Anyway my apologies and I promise to never describe the delectable hot fudge pecan brownie with ice cream that I shared with my friend on Wednesday night. ;)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
funny you should mention turtles, I just ate my last one.

note to self, buy more turtles tonight.
*dissolves on floor in tears* turtles, turtles, I love turtles, well, the blizzard kind *sniff*

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It was on the brain, I just had a chocolate bar whilst waiting for my Friday night delivery. (The food is good but they take forever! )

Anyway my apologies and I promise to never describe the delectable hot fudge pecan brownie with ice cream that I shared with my friend on Wednesday night. ;)

You shared...... Really -

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

So, what did you order. Wife and I are sitting here trying to decide on what we want for dinner.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
:protest:

SO, let me get this straight... you were munching down on a chocolate bar, whilst contemplating your take out arriving shortly AND you ate a hot fudge pecan delight... karma baby, it`s all going to your hips...:stop::silent::bootyshake::angel9:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You shared...... Really -

I did! They bring it to you in a little cast iron skillet topped with ice cream and hot bubbling fudge.

But keep that to yourself now, I made Sal a promise. ;)

So, what did you order. Wife and I are sitting here trying to decide on what we want for dinner.

Sushi.

Which is why I cannot understand why it takes an hour to deliver it, it isn't even cooked! Lol.

:protest:
SO, let me get this straight... you were munching down on a chocolate bar, whilst contemplating your take out arriving shortly AND you ate a hot fudge pecan delight... karma baby, it`s all going to your hips...:stop::silent::bootyshake::angel9:

Well I did share the brownie, lol.

Besides I'm in a baby myself mood tonight. I had a really nasty fall on the ice last night and whacked my head hard, I literally saw stars (been to the doc and all is cool though) but I'm super sore and bruised. I needed a little pick me up pampering. Lol.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I did! They bring it to you in a little cast iron skillet topped with ice cream and hot bubbling fudge.

Sushi.

Which is why I cannot understand why it takes an hour to deliver it, it isn't even cooked! Lol.

Besides I'm in a baby myself mood tonight. I had a really nasty fall on the ice last night and whacked my head hard, I literally saw stars (been to the doc and all is cool though) but I'm super sore and bruised. I needed a little pick me up pampering. Lol.
8O Are you sure any of the rest of it really happened:p holy crap, that is scary stuff... I am glad you are okay, hell you should have ice cream and sushi, and Chinese, and steak with onions and mushrooms (my lunch) OMG ... your azz is gonna be blue... and your head tender for a bit... have a drink or three, hell celebrate...maybe I should have another glass of wine for you, ya know, just to celebrate and all.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Sushi.

When you see stars after a fall you probably have had a mild concussion. So take it easy.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
8O Are you sure any of the rest of it really happened:p holy crap, that is scary stuff... I am glad you are okay, hell you should have ice cream and sushi, and Chinese, and steak with onions and mushrooms (my lunch) OMG ... your azz is gonna be blue... and your head tender for a bit... have a drink or three, hell celebrate...maybe I should have another glass of wine for you, ya know, just to celebrate and all.

When you see stars after a fall you probably have had a mild concussion. So take it easy.

Lol. I'm cool. Like I said went to the doc and everything. Just rang my bell is all.

But I was a good little trooper and went to work today and everything, so I decided to treat myself.

I'm planning on taking it easy this evening though.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
good advice there Goob to our Hilary

After reading the news reports regrading concussion effects on wrestlers, boxers, hockey players, and soldiers I have taken a personal interest in this as I have had a substantial number of these over the years.

Lol. I'm cool. Like I said went to the doc and everything. Just rang my bell is all.

But I was a good little trooper and went to work today and everything, so I decided to treat myself.

I'm planning on taking it easy this evening though.
You saw stars and you have a concussion - Treat it as such.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
After reading the news reports regrading concussion effects on wrestlers, boxers, hockey players, and soldiers I have taken a personal interest in this as I have had a substantial number of these over the years.
Apparently three is the magic number, after that, not so good. at least that is the newest thing for right now... severity of course counts along with how close together they are

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
You don't happen to be an Aries, do you? I call us Aries Head Bangers. If someone tells me they're an Aries, I always check their head for scars. Mine is covered in them.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

You saw stars and you have a concussion - Treat it as such.

Sir, yes sir!

I will take it easy over the weekend, I promise. :)

You don't happen to be an Aries, do you? I call us Aries Head Bangers. If someone tells me they're an Aries, I always check their head for scars. Mine is covered in them.

I'm an Aries. And apparently I have the hard head to prove it.