Supreme Court ruling set to test abused women’s self-defence rights

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Supreme Court ruling set to test abused women’s self-defence rights

Supreme Court ruling set to test abused women

By the time her husband had executed the family dog and threatened her with a similar end, Nicole Ryan could take no more abuse.

The Nova Scotia schoolteacher sought out a hit man.

However, when the contract killer she approached turned out to be an RCMP undercover officer, Ms. Ryan was arrested for counselling murder and plunged into a precedent-setting legal case.
More Related to this Story

In an important ruling on Friday, the Supreme Court of Canada will use her case to determine whether an abused spouse can plot the murder of a violent partner and avoid prosecution.

Advocates for abused women are hoping for a resounding endorsement of a woman’s right to defend herself – even if it means hiring someone to do the job, said Elizabeth Sheehy, a University of Ottawa law professor.

“Whether or not her acquittal is upheld, I hope that the court will also accept that self-defence is available for women like Nicole Ryan who have planned self-defensive homicide in advance or have turned to third parties for help,” said Prof. Sheehy, author of a forthcoming book on battered women.

On the other hand, Prof. Sheehy said that if the court convicts Ms. Ryan or orders a retrial, it will “send a chilling message” to Canadian women.

The case has echoes of a landmark 1990 judgment in R. v. Lavallee, when the Supreme Court created the so-called battered woman defence. Under the defence, a woman can be acquitted of murder if she has been subjected to extreme abuse.

Unsure whether Ms. Ryan would be able to utilize the argument of self-defence in the context of a contract killing, her trial lawyers opted for a novel approach: They asserted that she had been under extreme and sustained duress.

Ms. Ryan, 39, was acquitted at trial. In upholding the decision, the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal noted that she gave up on obtaining help from police, who apparently did not want to interfere in domestic disputes.

Nicholas Bala, a Queen’s University family law expert, said the ability of the justice system to protect victims of domestic abuse is on the line in the Ryan case.

“In my view, it would be highly desirable for the Supreme Court to affirm the lower court decisions and recognize that this woman was left in a terrible situation by the justice system,” he said.

Prof. Bala said that upholding an acquittal in the case would not constitute a licence for women to take out contracts on their husbands.

“This case featured an extremely abusive situation that lasted for 17 years, and the police and family justice officials repeatedly failed to protect her,” he said. “Those are two elements that are critical in this case.”

At 6 foot 3, Mr. Ryan towered over his diminutive, 98-pound wife. He was a career soldier who drank excessively, held a gun to his wife’s head on several occasions and regularly demanded sex.

“I was afraid of what he would do if I ever refused,” Ms. Ryan testified at her trial. “You don’t know what to do. You feel helpless. You feel worthless. You don’t even feel like a human being any more, but you know that you have to do it in order to feel safe.”

When she finally suggested divorce, Mr. Ryan rammed his fist through a wall and promised to “destroy” her and their daughter if she persisted. He also supplied details of how he would dispose of their corpses.

Isolated and unable to get help from the police, Ms. Ryan moved out but remained petrified of her husband.

Kim Pate, executive director of the Canadian Association of Elizabeth Fry Societies, said that, on average, a woman is killed every six days by her intimate partner.

“It would simply be unacceptable that men in barroom brawls are entitled in law to plead self-defence and obtain acquittals – even in cases where they were the initial aggressors – and then deny abused women any defence,” she said.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Hmmm, I'm not quite sure where to go with this. On the one hand it seems more than reasonable to draw the self-defense line well before soliciting someone else to murder your partner. Yet it's also hard to say what a person's mindset would be after 17 years of abuse, the kind of desperation that would breed. I'd be nervous, despite the assurances in the article, that some may use that to justify murder...but then I guess it's no different than being pushed to doing it yourself. In some of those cases society, and the courts, have found there to be justification.

I guess the bottom line is that there are just no winners in these situations. If a woman is truly so abused that she resorts to murder, a preemptive self defense I guess you could say, she's still been almost forced to take a life in order to get hers back. That's not really winning in my book. Even if he 'deserves it', she still has to live with it.

Be very interesting to see where this goes.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Self Defense might be appropriate if SHE had somehow "done him in".

There is no possibility, in any sane world, that hiring a "hit man" could possibly be considered to be "Self Defense".

Of course, with the Courts as they are, God alone knows what horrible twisting of the laws the Court might come up with.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Someone being abused that retaliates and kills the abuser is usually a spontaneous response.
Actually contracting a killing for their violent partner is a different matter that is premeditated.
I think the second part of this is that the law is not looking at the situation with an open mind.
If the ruling is on the basis of retaliating and killing the abuser that is one thing.
If they narrow that to mean retaliation by hiring a hit man I agree that should not be allowed
it is premeditated offense that is a wilful crime.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If anyone ever told me how they were going to kill and dispose of my kid, and the law failed to provide protection after that and a proven pattern of attacks, you can guarantee I'd be finding a way to end that person. If I was 98 pounds, I'd probably go the contract route too. Protecting my and my child's life would seem paramount in that situation I'm sure. But, I'd also be abundantly aware that I was operating completely outside the law, and be prepared to spend my life in prison. It's a terrifying legal precedent to set, as the dead can't readily defend themselves in court.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
If anyone ever told me how they were going to kill and dispose of my kid, and the law failed to provide protection after that and a proven pattern of attacks, you can guarantee I'd be finding a way to end that person.

Same here. I think what she did is understandable to most people but she shouldnt get away with this. Perhaps the abuse could play a mitigating factor for sentencing if she is found guilty. I know a man who killed his father when he was 13 in the heat of the moment. The father was beating the mother with a stick and wouldnt stop so the kid shot him. He's still suffering from PTSD nearly 30 years later. That type of scenario would make more sense than hiring a hitman. If she was able to get out and hire someone she could have left the guy or gone to the cops. Either way I don't really have any sympathy for the husband.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
When I first began to read this, I was completely dismissive, No way we can excuse the hiring of a hit man, this is ridiculous.

Then as I read further, I have completely changed my mind because of the circumstances of the case. I find her actions to be totally and completely justified.

She did everything one should do;

• she left the situation.
  • sought police intervention repeatedly
He had killed the family dog, abused her for over 17 years, beaten her down physically and mentally and then threatened the life of both her and her daughter. The guy is a psychopath.

Further, I think this needs to be about police response and accountability.

Where is this guy now? I think they should post his picture everywhere...all over the net with a scarlet title on him ABUSER. He should be doing time.

A woman dies of domestic abuse every 6 minutes. That is completely unacceptable.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The part that always gets me in cases where battered (usually) women have killed their abusive partners is that it has to be substantially proven in a court of law when it goes to trial. They are able to make a determination as to whether the abuse was so severe as to justify the act of murder.

If they can do that, then why in the hell can we not deal with the abuser effectively prior to them being killed? Maybe if we did we wouldn't have these things happen.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The part that always gets me in cases where battered (usually) women have killed their abusive partners is that it has to be substantially proven in a court of law when it goes to trial. They are able to make a determination as to whether the abuse was so severe as to justify the act of murder.

If they can do that, then why in the hell can we not deal with the abuser effectively prior to them being killed? Maybe if we did we wouldn't have these things happen.

Absolutely.

True story: in a former job (life) I had a manager whom I fired. Always late, frequently absent, and and list goes on. Ran into her about five years later and heard her "story". To cut to the chase during a meal her husband finally hit her eldest daughter. Had never done so before, always just her. The night he hit her daughter, she jumped up on her chair and ran across the dining room table, leapt on him and tried to kill him. He got away and called 911. ( Yeah he really did)

Cops came, he wanted to charge her. The cops said sure thing but we need to interview your wife alone. They took her to Tim Horton's and the one cop said, we have seen this scenario repeatedly your husband has now escalated, he will now abuse your kids. You have to leave to protect them as well as yourself, this is your chance. I will help you.

And he did. She took her 4 kids and left with no money and moved back to her parents house.

That cop changed her life. Different response, different outcome.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
So without reading the whole thing...which I will... a woman gets busted trying to hire a hit man and uses the abuse card to save herself?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
If anyone ever told me how they were going to kill and dispose of my kid, and the law failed to provide protection after that and a proven pattern of attacks, you can guarantee I'd be finding a way to end that person. If I was 98 pounds, I'd probably go the contract route too. Protecting my and my child's life would seem paramount in that situation I'm sure. But, I'd also be abundantly aware that I was operating completely outside the law, and be prepared to spend my life in prison. It's a terrifying legal precedent to set, as the dead can't readily defend themselves in court.

Use the coffee pot- CLR -run it thru - then leave it - do not rinse it the required number of times. And when he makes coffee the next time. Done like dinner. Slow and deadly.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Use the coffee pot- CLR -run it thru - then leave it - do not rinse it the required number of times. And when he makes coffee the next time. Done like dinner. Slow and deadly.
seriously? :shock: that could kill someone?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I'm wondering why the woman didn't just leave and stay left.

But anyway, she got a "Stay" out of the Supreme COurt; Nicole Ryan: Court grants stay to woman who tried to hire hit man | News | National Post

Personally, I don't think contracting someone to give yourself a defense is exactly kosher, but then it is hard to fathom the state of mind of someone like this woman unless one has experienced the same thing. I think it's a wise decision by the SC.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Personally, I don't think contracting someone to give yourself a defense is exactly kosher, but then it is hard to fathom the state of mind of someone like this woman unless one has experienced the same thing. I think it's a wise decision by the SC.

I had a friend whose husband did the text book mental break after their first two kids were born back to back. Feelings of loss of control, coming second to everyone, the control freak freaked. The one day when I was there he was screaming obscenities, stomping around, grabbing the baby up off the floor and storming around the house with her in his arms telling me to get out 'or else'. It was like that for months at their house, although to his credit, he never laid a hand on her or hit the kids. He just physically stormed around making them scared that he would. Regardless, I was so scared for my friend, it felt like it was all going to continue escalating. I started making calls to friends who are social workers. They in turn started forwarding me information. One of the agencies they forwarded stuck in my head, and will always. Body guards for extrication, funded by charity. The fact that there are women who live in such fear of their spouses that they actually need body guards to keep them safe so they can go retrieve their belongings, is maybe why it doesn't amaze me that a woman so abused would hire a hit man. That level of fear is unfathomable.

Again, do not mistake this for an opinion that the law should allow for said behaviour.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I had a friend whose husband did the text book mental break after their first two kids were born back to back. Feelings of loss of control, coming second to everyone, the control freak freaked. The one day when I was there he was screaming obscenities, stomping around, grabbing the baby up off the floor and storming around the house with her in his arms telling me to get out 'or else'. It was like that for months at their house, although to his credit, he never laid a hand on her or hit the kids. He just physically stormed around making them scared that he would. Regardless, I was so scared for my friend, it felt like it was all going to continue escalating. I started making calls to friends who are social workers. They in turn started forwarding me information. One of the agencies they forwarded stuck in my head, and will always. Body guards for extrication, funded by charity. The fact that there are women who live in such fear of their spouses that they actually need body guards to keep them safe so they can go retrieve their belongings, is maybe why it doesn't amaze me that a woman so abused would hire a hit man. That level of fear is unfathomable.

Again, do not mistake this for an opinion that the law should allow for said behaviour.
I get that the state is deep and I know that abused people feel immense amounts of fear and helplessness, but I don't think anyone not in that situation can graps the depth of those feelings. So it doesn't seem to me to be very easy to appreciate the situation without actually having experienced it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I get that the state is deep and I know that abused people feel immense amounts of fear and helplessness, but I don't think anyone not in that situation can graps the depth of those feelings. So it doesn't seem to me to be very easy to appreciate the situation without actually having experienced it.

I'd wager you're right. So it's haunting to me to think that all it takes this momma bear is to read that he said he'd kill them both, and told her how he'd dispose of their bodies, for me to immediately say 'yep, I'd have him killed'. That's READING it, putting myself in her place for just the tiny fraction of an inch that I can. And I'd take him out. I can't even imagine how she went so long without trying.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
seriously? :shock: that could kill someone?

Yes it will. Woman did it in the US. Forgot to rinse accordingly- Hubby came home, made a coffee and died.
They charged her but she was found not guilty.