Idle No More -Where is the Leadership?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Idle No More -Where is the Leadership?

If you set up a movement you cannot walk away from responsibility when it takes a direction that you are against. Any movement without direction can be hijacked by those with other agendas.

And Yes that will entail upsetting some people. Goes with the Job.

Time for the Founders to step up to the plate and lead.

Updated
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska.../14/sk-idle-no-more-sylvia-mcadam-130114.html
Idle No More is the face of all indigenous people, all grassroots people," Sylvia McAdam said Monday, following a forum with university students in Regina. "It's not just the face of one. We hardly have any communications with Chief Spence."

Spence has been limiting her food intake since Dec. 10, consuming only fish broth, water and medicinal tea in an effort to force a meeting attended by both Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Gov. Gen. David Johnston to address First Nations issues.

The Idle No More campaign originated on social media, first on Facebook and later with Twitter, when Sylvia McAdam, Nina Wilson, Sheelah Mclean and Jessica Gordon expressed concern about provisions of Bill C-45, which reduce the number of federally protected waterways.

"We're going to get off the couch and we're not going to be idle any more," McAdam said about the nascent idea behind the movement. "And we said, 'Why don't we just call it Idle No More?' And it just stuck."
Global Regina | Idle No More co-founder distances movement from planned blockades
Idle No More’s co-founder is distancing the movement from Wednesday’s planned First Nations blockades and from Chief Theresa Spence, saying the grassroots movement is so far hosting only “peaceful” education events and has no leader.

Sylvia McAdam, one of the movement’s four originators, stressed in an interview with the National Post that chiefs — not Idle No More co-founders — are behind Wednesday’s planned blockades along a key southern Ontario highway and a peaceful march near the busy bridge to Michigan.

Those kinds of highly disruptive protests, Ontario Provincial Police Commissioner Chris Lewis warned in a YouTube video released Tuesday, highlight the reality that First Nations demonstrators “have the ability to paralyze” this country by shutting down travel and trade routes — an approach Ms. McAdam said she does not endorse, at least not now.

“A lot of our children and elders are involved in the [Idle No More] activities, so their safety is our priority,” she said. “If you have an impromptu blockade that doesn’t follow the legal permits, then you’re irritating the public and that’s not the purpose behind Idle No More.”

The purpose, she said, is to educate Canadians about indigenous sovereignty and treaty rights, although she acknowledged that the movement has already spiraled to include so many other causes that it risks diluting its core message.

Last edited:

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
The leadeship is:
Dr.Pam Palmater PhD, LLB. Department head of Centre for Indigenous Governance.
Activist and politician.
Runner up to Shaun Atleo for Grand Chief.
One of the founders of and spokesperson for INM.
And she knows exactly what she is doing regarding Idle.
Bring down Shaun Atleo and forment revolution and discord in Canada.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The leadeship is:
Activist and politician.

I know who Pam is and well aware of her agenda. Do you have a link stating that she is one of the founders.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The leadeship is:
Activist and politician.

I updated the OP- Lists the Founders by name and how it originated. Your post is false and I am being polite.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
I updated the OP- Lists the Founders by name and how it originated. Your post is false and I am being polite.
Actually no I am not in errror.
I am well aware who the 4 original founders are.
But Palmater often gets quoted as an original founder.
She also gets quoted as the the official spokesperson of Idle ,Quote Canada Politics: "Idle No More spokesperson calls leak of Attawapiskat audit ‘political’.
If you know all about Palmater you know she is controlling the agenda on this movment and manipulating it for her own political ends.
Tell me who gets all the coverage on Idle via the media?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Actually no I am not in errror.
I am well aware who the 4 original founders are.
But Palmater often gets quoted as an original founder.
She also gets quoted as the the official spokesperson of Idle ,Quote Canada Politics: "Idle No More spokesperson calls leak of Attawapiskat audit ‘political’.
If you know all about Palmater you know she is controlling the agenda on this movment and manipulating it for her own political ends.
Tell me who gets all the coverage on Idle via the media?

Give me the Links where she is speaking on behalf of IDNM.
Many are speaking and claim they are speaking in the name or the purpose of IDNM. And it is BS.
Reason why the Founders have to step up.
As to the Media - they go with whatever excites -

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
According to the Idle No More official website:

History of Idle No More Grassroots Movement

Written by Jessica Gordon(7 votes)

Idle No More began with 4 ladies; Nina Wilson, Sylvia McAdam, Jessica Gordon & Sheelah McLean who felt it was urgent to act on current and upcoming legislation that not only affects our First Nations people but the rest of Canada's citizens, lands and waters.
The focus is on grassroots voices, treaty and sovereignty, it began in the early part of October when discussing Bill C 45. All 4 women knew that this was a time to act, as this bill and other proposed legislation would affect not only Indigenous people but also the lands, water and the rest of Canada.
With the focus on the most urgent bill knowing it would initiate attention to all other legislation, the 4 ladies held rallies and teach-ins to generate discussion and provide information. They then decided a nation wide event was garnered so all could participate, thus, The National Day of Solidarity & Resurgence was called for December 10th, 2012, to oppose all legislation and to build solidarity while asserting inherent rights and nationhood while protecting our lands for all people.
These colonial forms of legislation that the government expects to unilaterally impose on us has brought us together, to stand together - Jessica Gordon

The Official Idle No More Website - History of Idle No More Grassroots Movement

Is it worth arguing over?

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Give me the Links where she is speaking on behalf of IDNM.
Many are speaking and claim they are speaking in the name or the purpose of IDNM. And it is BS.
Reason why the Founders have to step up.
As to the Media - they go with whatever excites -
I think the media has as much of an agenda in misrepresenting the movement as Palmater has. You will notice that very little has been reported about the lifting of protection of our lakes and water ways, probably to appease the Chinese and their takeover of our resource "development". Part of the reason for the changes in the waters act is the Northern Pipeline where so much potential for environmental disaster lies.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Accordning to the Idle No More official website:

History of Idle No More Grassroots Movement

Written by Jessica Gordon(7 votes)

Idle No More began with 4 ladies; Nina Wilson, Sylvia McAdam, Jessica Gordon & Sheelah McLean who felt it was urgent to act on current and upcoming legislation that not only affects our First Nations people but the rest of Canada's citizens, lands and waters.
The focus is on grassroots voices, treaty and sovereignty, it began in the early part of October when discussing Bill C 45. All 4 women knew that this was a time to act, as this bill and other proposed legislation would affect not only Indigenous people but also the lands, water and the rest of Canada.
With the focus on the most urgent bill knowing it would initiate attention to all other legislation, the 4 ladies held rallies and teach-ins to generate discussion and provide information. They then decided a nation wide event was garnered so all could participate, thus, The National Day of Solidarity & Resurgence was called for December 10th, 2012, to oppose all legislation and to build solidarity while asserting inherent rights and nationhood while protecting our lands for all people.
These colonial forms of legislation that the government expects to unilaterally impose on us has brought us together, to stand together - Jessica Gordon

The Official Idle No More Website - History of Idle No More Grassroots Movement

Is it worth arguing over?

Yes- It takes away from the intent of IDNM and Pam the loser in the last election has an agenda. So if people believe that she is a leader they will arrive at the wrong conclusions.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think the media has as much of an agenda in misrepresenting the movement as Palmater has. You will notice that very little has been reported about the lifting of protection of our lakes and water ways, probably to appease the Chinese and their takeover of our resource "development". Part of the reason for the changes in the waters act is the Northern Pipeline where so much potential for environmental disaster lies.

Everybody wants a piece of the action.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yes- It takes away from the intent of IDNM and Pam the loser in the last election has an agenda. So if people believe that she is a leader they will arrive at the wrong conclusions.

It's pretty much pooched now anyway I'd say. They've already been tainted by hunger strikes, people messing with train track signals, defacing monuments. The problem with any peaceful movement is when the less-than-peaceful come out to join it too.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It's pretty much pooched now anyway I'd say. They've already been tainted by hunger strikes, people messing with train track signals, defacing monuments. The problem with any peaceful movement is when the less-than-peaceful come out to join it too.

It is not to late but they have to step up. They saw it was being hijacked and did make some statements. Time to lead or others will and they will be left with the stain of doing nothing when leadership was needed.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It is not to late but they have to step up. They saw it was being hijacked and did make some statements. Time to lead or others will and they will be left with the stain of doing nothing when leadership was needed.
You mean they should be idle no more. ;-)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I think that as much as it's about educating the public to FN issues, and I said as much the other day in the Spense thread, it all comes down to a big PR game. It has to be because the other side in this equation, the government, are masters of PR. The large numbers in a peaceful movement just don't outshine the bad news presented from the media, from the government side of things, and from troublemakers that latch onto the movement.

It's incredibly unfortunate, there is a lot that people really need to learn. Just look at the nasty commentary we've seen here and if you think that's bad, read some of the commentary at the bottom of all the news articles.

"The stain of doing nothing when leadership was needed". That's well put. I hope it doesn't come to that but I fear it will. The general public has a really short attention span and they are the ones that are needed on side.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The general public has a really short attention span and they are the ones that are needed on side.

The movement appears to have been hijacked by a variety of (related) groups that have similar agendas, but are not all singing from the same song-book as set out by the founders. As an example, this morning I heard an interview on CBC from an eco-group that have combined 'forces' with some self proclaimed 'Idlers' in Vancouver that are picketing the Northern Gateway hearings.

I can see where the common ground is between the 2 groups but the impact is has on Idle No More serves to muddy the public's understanding of their core philosophy.... Factor-in the revolving blockades of rail lines, highways and bridges and all the public sees at this point is a pseudo-militant response to a 'cause' that is barely defined.

In the end, the general public will only see the disruptions and inconveniences caused by the actions of those that take these actions... The underlying message is entirely lost relative to what the movement was ever about

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The movement appears to have been hijacked by a variety of (related) groups that have similar agendas, but are not all singing from the same song-book as set out by the founders. As an example, this morning I heard an interview on CBC from an eco-group that have combined 'forces' with some self proclaimed 'Idlers' in Vancouver that are picketing the Northern Gateway hearings.

I can see where the common ground is between the 2 groups but the impact is has on Idle No More serves to muddy the public's understanding of their core philosophy.... Factor-in the revolving blockades of rail lines, highways and bridges and all the public sees at this point is a pseudo-militant response to a 'cause' that is barely defined.

In the end, the general public will only see the disruptions and inconveniences caused by the actions of those that take these actions... The underlying message is entirely lost relative to what the movement was ever about

Your opinion- If the IDNM leadership steps up and day after day reports on what their movement is about. That they condemn any blockades after a certain point in time. That they want meaningful discussion and solutions do you think the Canadian Public will hear that.
Atleo stated, solutions will take time but a plan and funding is needed.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Absolutely no different than the whole OWS movement. It very quickly became a very disjointed, chaotic mess where no one really knew what it was all about. I see the same thing happening here and for the same reason. These movements purport to represent a very large group that is simply not that cohesive. There is far too much distance in pockets of what they want, what their priorities are, how they feel they should go about getting what they want/need. Add to that the more militant factions that come out, it's a recipe for disaster.

Again, it's unfortunate. There really is so much that could get resolved if people could just stick to one topic, one agenda at a time. As it is though, it seems like one gets lost in another.