Snowmobiler dead after collision with moose

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
He drove underneath it?8O

You know how some bad ideas can be argued that they seemed like a good idea at the time? I don't think this is one of them.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Brillant drove under the moose and suffered a severe head injury.
not too brilliant... and was there any alcohol involved here?

the moose, although injured, walked away from the site of the collision,
and likely also dropped dead later from internal injuries

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
not too brilliant... and was there any alcohol involved here?

and likely also dropped dead later from internal injuries

The only way the word 'brilliant' made it's way into that sentence was due to the fact that it's his last name, lol.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The only way the word 'brilliant' made it's way into that sentence was due to the fact that it's his last name, lol.
I know...slap me silly, but i just couldn't help myself... it's early, I'm only half way through my first coffee. I didn't think anyone would notice. :)

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
well, hitting moose on the highway is not unheard of. if a similar incident happens on a snowmobile trail, this seems exactly how it would happen.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Was the moose hurt?
yes... he was hurt but walked away... that could mean anything because a wild animal will not show injury if it can hide it...the guy was a yahoo to try to drive under a moose, I know they look huge and their legs are long but really? very foolish thing to have done.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I am not sure if the 'yahoo' comment is warranted, I didn't see any indication that he intentionally drove under the moose.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I am not sure if the 'yahoo' comment is warranted, I didn't see any indication that he intentionally drove under the moose.
Well, okay, it may have been an accident. Maybe the moose stepped in front of them. If so, tragic.

None the less, he was not supposed to have been snowmobiling in the dark, thus if we give him that (oops a moose), it was still a yahoo thing to do. It is safety week and he lost his life for what? An injured a moose and placed his passengers at risk for what?

Not smart.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
what do you mean about not supposed to have been snowmobiling in the dark? is there a law against it, or just something that you believe is a good safety practise?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Animals strikes on sleds are more common than you think. Sled trails are a convenience for wildlife and they follow them instead of trudging through the deep snow in the woods or grasslands.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Perfectly reasonable to imagine the guy did not have time to react in time to stop or swerve. Sleds are like other vehicles in that they can not stop immediately after hitting the brake. It takes time and sometimes there just isn't enough time to finish the procedure.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
what do you mean about not supposed to have been snowmobiling in the dark? is there a law against it, or just something that you believe is a good safety practise?
In the article: International Snowmobile Safety Week began Sunday and continues until Jan. 19. The week is designed to remind snowmobilers to take precautions, such as respecting signs and laws, not snowmobiling after dark, reducing speed when visibility is reduced, sticking to marked paths instead of lakes or waterways where ice thickness can vary, not snowmobiling alone, notifying friends or family members of one’s itinerary, and never driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
No snowmobiling after dark? That's hilarious. In Nunavut, Yukon and the NWT, its the dark season. I guess they are supposed to wait until March.