SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Burp

"We have removed all the affected lettuce from our restaurants in Canada and want to reassure our customers that our food is perfectly safe to eat. The health and safety of our customers is our top priority."

Lettuce not be hasty...

The last time I went to my doctor because I just could not recover from a stomach virus, she told me it was probably the salad I had ordered when I had eaten out. Makes you think twice about those nice green salads because they are raw...at least with meat and fries there's a chance they have been cooked to death.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Burp

Lettuce not be hasty...

The last time I went to my doctor because I just could not recover from a stomach virus, she told me it was probably the salad I had ordered when I had eaten out. Makes you think twice about those nice green salads because they are raw...at least with meat and fries there's a chance they have been cooked to death.

Could easily be the lettuce that comes on the burger too.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Could easily be the lettuce that comes on the burger too.
yes, lettuce is bad for that especially when not washed correctly, plus it gets "hand"led and not all are good about washing between till and food prep.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
yes, lettuce is bad for that especially when not washed correctly, plus it gets "hand"led and not all are good about washing between till and food prep.

I'm always a little more leery of raw foods like lettuce and prepackaged cold foods (like pre-made sandwiches and what not) because they are not cooked. Cooking to proper temperatures will take care of the majority of bacterias.

I have my salads at home for the most part.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I'm always a little more leery of raw foods like lettuce and prepackaged cold foods (like pre-made sandwiches and what not) because they are not cooked. Cooking to proper temperatures will take care of the majority of bacterias.

I have my salads at home for the most part.
Well, I have to say I used to order salad all the time as my side, until I spent two days hurling and it was from a "grocery store" and I had a "feeling" about it before hand... I just knew I shouldn't eat it... OMG I was so sick. The other time was chili from Wendy's. I ordered a chili and a hot potato and put the chili on it...then got called away and came back an hour later and ate it...sick OMG

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
E. Coli cases connected to contaminated lettuce.
E. coli source likely lettuce at KFC/Taco Bell - New Brunswick - CBC News
Begs the question about whether the lettuce was washed or not?
Is fast food to blame?

They would use bagged lettuce- when contamination is in some produce the shredding process spreads this throughout hundreds if not thousands of bags. Also the processor sprays this crap down chlorine.

Think of that the next time you pick up your processed salad.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
They would use bagged lettuce- when contamination is in some produce the shredding process spreads this throughout hundreds if not thousands of bags. Also the processor sprays this crap down chlorine.

Think of that the next time you pick up your processed salad.
lovely... and I heard that is also why baby carrots turn white... chlorine???

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Criminal what crap they have on stuff. Now consider how much of your produce comes from Mexico and SA- Imagine the quality of the water that would be used at times.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Criminal what crap they have on stuff. Now consider how much of your produce comes from Mexico and SA- Imagine the quality of the water that would be used at times.
Yes, the things nightmares are made of.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
No such thing as baby carrots. What you are buying are large carrots that went limp and they are put through a lathe to take off the outside pulp, What you get are the cores of the old limp carrots... Frankenweenie carrots. Chew on that!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
No such thing as baby carrots. What you are buying are large carrots that went limp and they are put through a lathe to take off the outside pulp, What you get are the cores of the old limp carrots... Frankenweenie carrots. Chew on that!
chomp, chomp, that's even worse... big carrots are best anywho...yes, pun intended

Nope. Comes from the fields already contaminated. Poop for fertilizer or from the irrigation water source.

All nice and organic like.
yes that's what I've heard OR the water that they are washed in has been contaminated

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Reminds of the one about the two lady's pulling carrots in the garden. One lady pulls a carrot and says "reminds me of my husband." Other lady " that big?" first lady, " no, that dirty".