HRSDC lost portable hard drive

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A portable hard drive containing personal information about more than half a million people who received student loans has gone missing, the federal government revealed Friday.

Human Resources and Skills Development Canada says the device disappeared from an HRSDC office in Gatineau, Que., in early November.

The hard drive had personal information on 583,000 Canadians who were clients of the Canada Student Loans program from 2000 to 2006. Borrowers from Quebec, Nunavut and the Northwest Territories are not affected.

The information on the missing hard drive includes:

• Student names, social insurance numbers, dates of birth, contact information and loan balance of Canada Student Loan borrowers.

• Personal contact information for 250 HRSDC employees.

The government says no banking or medical information was on the hard drive.
Letters are going out to everyone affected to tell them what steps to take to protect themselves.

more

Federal agency loses data on 583,000 Canadians - Canada - CBC News

Well done everybody.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
We regret to inform you....I didn't hear much else of what was said after that. It was hard to make the words out over the sound of my heart pumping in my ears. Blah!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
:-(
We regret to inform you....I didn't hear much else of what was said after that. It was hard to make the words out over the sound of my heart pumping in my ears. Blah!
lmao.... sorry, but the way ya put it... it is funny... my bad.

This is the second time...wtf? How many times is this gonna happen before they don't transfer the data onto PORTABLE DRIVES. Why would they have such a high security risk system in place for transferring data. For sure it has to be backed up every night, can't they find a more secure way to transfer it?

what a bunch of buffoons.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
This happened in mid November and is just getting reported now? The wheels of government truly do turn very slowly.
no this just happened now, but they lost another one back in November with different private info on it... this is loss number two...yup... this is our government at work for us...

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
no this just happened now, but they lost another one back in November with different private info on it... this is loss number two...yup... this is our government at work for us...

Oh so they **** up AND they're redundant! Yep, that sounds about right.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Oh so they **** up AND they're redundant! Yep, that sounds about right.
lol...yes quite correct, at first when I saw the story I thought it was the resurrected old one but that had to do with old age pensions I think this is a different loss .... they need to be gravely concerned. I wonder too, how it got leaked.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The first loss of the disabled pensioner data triggered the audit. It's likely that I never would have known what happened to my student loan infformation if the first bunch of data hadn't gone missing. Which makes me wonder how rampant the use of removable flash drives etc is amongst the civil service.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The first loss of the disabled pensioner data triggered the audit. It's likely that I never would have known what happened to my student loan infformation if the first bunch of data hadn't gone missing. Which makes me wonder how rampant the use of removable flash drives etc is amongst the civil service.

Rampant. Now start wondering about the ones that are not reported.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
so let's say I stole the information, what could I do with it ... potentially

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Rampant. Now start wondering about the ones that are not reported.

Well those would be the ones I was wondering about ;)

so let's say I stole the information, what could I do with it ... potentially

With geographical information, date of birth, student loan data, social insurance number...if you know what you're doing you can make me a victim of identity theft, fraud, etc.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Well those would be the ones I was wondering about ;)

With geographical information, date of birth, student loan data, social insurance number...if you know what you're doing you can make me a victim of identity theft, fraud, etc.
sooo how much are ya going to pay me for it... I could mail it :D

sooo how much are ya going to pay me for it... I could mail it :D
otherwise, Goob says I can sell it, presumably on line...