Rogers: Widespread internet outage across Southern Ontario

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Many Rogers’ customers lost their wireless data and home Internet services in a widespread outage Wednesday evening that lasted at least three hours.

Subscribers complaining on Twitter about the loss of service said the blackout extended from Southern Ontario to New Brunswick.

It was not immediately clear what caused the outage. Rogers said it was working to resolve the problem as soon as possible.
Frustrated customers lost no time taking to Twitter to vent their anger.

“Internet is not working and Rogers tech support lines aren’t working. Nice. How come their billing system never fails?” tweeted one frustrated customer, Dan Perdue.

“Due to unforeseen circumstances our office is closed. Thanks Rogers,” tweeted MitchDeschamps.

Several tweets suggested changing one’s computer’s DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 to get back online. However, Rogers website and technical support line offered no information on the outage.

However, two hours into the outage, the media giant’s Twitter account @RogersHelps apologized for the blackout in a tweet, assuring customers they were working to restore Internet service as quickly as possible.

Toward midnight, customers were tweeting that service was returning in pockets.

Rogers: Widespread internet outage across Southern Ontario - thestar.com

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/images/using.pdf

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Well I'm a Rogers customer and my internet was fine last night.

Several tweets suggested changing one’s computer’s DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 to get back online. However, Rogers website and technical support line offered no information on the outage.

Um, what would be the point in offering information on the website if the internet service was out???

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Well I'm a Rogers customer and my internet was fine last night.

Um, what would be the point in offering information on the website if the internet service was out???

Tech support line was the gist of that I'd say.