7.5-magnitude earthquake strikes off coast of Alaska

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Tsunami warning issued

(CNN) -- A 7.5-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of Alaska early Saturday morning and a tsunami warning is in effect for portions of British Columbia, Canada, and southern Alaska, officials said.

There were no initial reports of damage but the West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center said that a "tsunami with significant widespread inundation of is land is expected."

The quake struck at about 3:58 a.m. ET off the coast of Alaska about 63 miles west of Craig, a town on Prince of Wales Island, and about 208 miles south of the capital of Juneau, the U.S. Geological Survey said. The size of the temblor was downgraded by the USGS from 7.7 to 7.5.

The tsunami warning was issued for the coastal areas of British Columbia and from the northern tip of Vancouver Island, British Columbia, to Cape Suckling, Alaska, about 75 miles southeast of Cordova, according to a bulletin released by the tsunami warning center.

A tsunami watch was in effect for areas of British Columbia to the Washington-British Columbia border, the bulletin said.

Based on available data, the tsunami warning center said there is "no destructive threat" to Hawaii, though it warned that some coastal areas could experience larger waves and strong currents.

7.5-magnitude earthquake strikes off coast of Alaska; Tsunami warning issued - CNN.com

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Earthquake triggers brief tsunami warning on B.C. coast

JUNEAU, Alaska – A powerful earthquake sparked a brief tsunami warning for a lengthy stretch of the British Columbia coast early Saturday, but no damaging waves were generated.

The magnitude 7.5 quake did generate a small tsunami, but the Alaska Tsunami Warning Center said the waves didn’t pose a threat.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake struck at about 1 a.m. Pacific Time about 102 kilometres west of Craig, Alaska and about 10 kilometres deep.

A tsunami warning quickly followed and covered about 1,125 kilometres of coastline from Cape Fairweather, Alaska to the northern tip of Vancouver Island.

A tsunami advisory was also issued for the B.C. coast to as far south as Victoria.

A warning means an area is likely to be hit by a wave, while an advisory means there may be strong currents without widespread inundation.

The Alaska Tsunami Warning Center had initially warned that “significant widespread inundation” of land was expected along with possible coastal flooding.

In its cancellation statement, the center said some areas were seeing just small sea level changes and there was no threat.

The Alaska Earthquake Information Center said the quake was widely felt but it received no reports of any damage.

Several aftershocks have been recorded by the U.S. Geological Survey, with the largest measuring 4.7.

Alex Godin, who was working at a Tim Hortons in Prince Rupert, B.C. when the quake struck, said the tremor was barely noticeable and “felt like a bump.”

This earthquake was centered not far from the Haida Gwaii region of B.C., where a magnitude 7.7 quake struck last October but caused no damage.<

A brief tsunami alert had been issued, but no giant waves materialized.

— with files from The Associated Press

tic tok, the big one is going to hit Vancouver soon... prepare!!!

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Glad I live on solid ground in Alberta..

BC got rig of the slogan "Best Place on Earth," now it can be replaced with...

BC Shakin' things up
BC Shaken AND stirred
BC Not my fault (line)!
Tell ya fat mamma to stop jump roping!
[Earth-] Quaker Notes
Rock the Earth, Baby! Tip the Earth over.
Shake, rattle, and roll
shake your Beauty!

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Glad I live on solid ground in Alberta..

BC got rig of the slogan "Best Place on Earth," now it can be replaced with...

BC Shakin' things up
BC Shaken AND stirred
BC Not my fault (line)!
Tell ya fat mamma to stop jump roping!
[Earth-] Quaker Notes
Rock the Earth, Baby! Tip the Earth over.
Shake, rattle, and roll
shake your Beauty!
We get quakes in SK all the time. Biggest was a 5.5

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Re: Earthquake triggers brief tsunami warning on B.C. coast

It was one oclock in the morning, I had just got into bed a bit earlier. Our labrador was lying between us
at the bottom of the bed, his usual place.

All of a sudden he got up and sat straight up and became very alert, staring out into space. He
then came and sat between us but continued to look and act very concerned about something. We
watched him for a while, and it took about twenty minutes for him to begin to relax and return
to normal, settle down and go back to sleep.

There were 'no' strange noises outside, no dogs barking and nothing out of the ordinary happening.

This morning when we heard the news of the earthquake, we immediately connected that to his behavior.

I wonder.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Quit all the dam fracking in SK then.. ;) :lol:
Not from fracking in 1909....

The largest known earthquake in the northern plains region occurred May 15, 1909 at 10:15 PM. It was a Saturday night, and the stores were open in Regina. Shoppers were amazed to see goods on the shelves swaying back and forth. Many people noticed the vibrations. The earthquake was felt over all of southern Saskatchewan up to Saskatoon, as far east as Winnipeg, western North Dakota, and eastern Montana but there was little actual damage. A partly finished brick wall was knocked down. The engineer driving a train from Winnipeg to Regina noticed some unusual motion and stopped his train to investigate. On Monday the Regina Leader Post was filled with stories about the earthquake and speculations about its cause.

The biggest quakes to hit the US were in the Mid West.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Nooooo. I learned about them taking seismology in University.

You see, just think of all the money you could have saved, if you just watched more Discovery Channel.. lol :lol: ;)

University can be just down right expensive..

Ask both my sisters.. one a degree for a psychology and the other a professor of Biology, and me just a little old truck driver..

Always found school boring.. they advanced me several times and then just gave me my graduation certificate.. then offered a choice of Universities to go to.. and I wanted to travel and get paid for it. So I became a trucker.

Driving relaxes me.

Last edited: