Dock workers ready to strike at U.S. ports

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Dock workers ready to strike at U.S. ports

Could cost the economy a billion dollars a day, coupled with the fiscal cliff. Interesting times.. Will this be an economic collapse??

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) — Dock workers are readying to strike next weekend along the East and Gulf Coasts in a labor dispute that threatens shipments of retail goods, food and components used in manufacturing.

Negotiations broke down on Tuesday between the International Longshoremen’s Association, or ILA, which represents about 15,000 dock workers, and the U.S. Maritime Alliance Ltd., or USMX, which represents management at 14 ports from Boston to Houston.

In a Wednesday notice to local unions posted on its website, the union said contract talks were “not progressing well” and a strike was expected to begin Sunday, Dec. 30.

Union members would not move containerized cargo including clothing, frozen foods and household goods, but would handle mail, military cargo and some perishables, ILA President Harold Daggett, wrote in the notice.

There is “nothing new to report,” James McNamara, a spokesman for the ILA, AFL-CIO, said Sunday in an email.

Central to the dispute are so-called container royalty fees, or levies on cargo that supplement wages, with employers looking to cap the payments and the union declaring them to be off limits.

The union said its offer to extend the deadline of the current contract through the end of January 2013 had been rejected.

On Friday, the USMX said the union’s strike authorization poised “serious consequences for the nation’s economy,” saying a 10-day lockout at West Coast ports 10 years ago cost the U.S. economy an estimated $1 billion a day.

The National Retail Federation also voiced concerns, urging President Barack Obama in a letter this week to use all options available to him, “including the authority under the Taft-Hartley Act, to keep the parties at the negotiating table.”

Dock workers ready to strike at U.S. ports - MarketWatch

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I haven't seen the demands of the union or the concession the management is asking for
therefore I cannot say its greed or its justified. Remember many of these ports have been
privatized and the old codes of labour peace honor may no longer exist either.
I often wonder why extensions are rejected and that is usually because of bad blood that
has come from somewhere.
Someone emphasized greed, and that may be true, but greed cuts both ways. The retail stores
and especially the chains have engaged in greed and gouging for more than a decade now.
This is particularly true of food stores. The markup is way out of line and none of the increased
profit margin goes to the farmer. Farmers and suppliers are losing money while the stores
profit margins rise that too is greed.

Some of these ports are now owned by foreign interests and they are not the same workplaces
they have been. Port Authorities were far better systems in the past but we have entered into the
age we are in. I think we have to wait and see what the issues are before handing the blame
to either side on this one.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Some of these ports are now owned by foreign interests and they are not the same workplaces
they have been. Port Authorities were far better systems in the past but we have entered into the age we are in. I think we have to wait and see what the issues are before handing the blame to either side on this one.

There are 15 ports in the US with 100 terminals. The Ports are owned by UAE, China, Saudis, Singapore and dig this...Venezula.

Out all those ports, 80 terminals are foreign and 8 still American private management and 12 are managed by US city or state govts.

Sweeeeeeeeeet.

Yuuup must be alllll about greed and nothing more.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Thank you Petros, the ideal thing here is they are ports of entry for goods coming
to America, and while the USA scurries about defending their boarders from the
enemy they allow potential enemies to buy the ports of entry. Only in America I
say. All ports, airports and so on should be firmly in the hands of American Government
agencies

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It would bung up the Port of Vancouver in no time if it happened.
And Victoria.

Good thing we're building the super efficient Northern Gateway

Thank you Petros, the ideal thing here is they are ports of entry for goods coming
to America, and while the USA scurries about defending their boarders from the
enemy they allow potential enemies to buy the ports of entry. Only in America I
say. All ports, airports and so on should be firmly in the hands of American Government
agencies
St John and Halifax are foreign owned and run (UAE).

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I doubt Northern Gateway will ever be built, it does not have the backing of
residents of BC. These are not just the hippies and Eco friends of the owls
Mainstream citizens are not in favour because the routes are not as safe as
many proclaim. I am torn on this one from a shipping and port expansion
program basis. As for shipping energy off shore to China I don't agree with
that period.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I doubt Northern Gateway will ever be built, it does not have the backing of
residents of BC. These are not just the hippies and Eco friends of the owls
Mainstream citizens are not in favour because the routes are not as safe as
many proclaim. I am torn on this one from a shipping and port expansion
program basis. As for shipping energy off shore to China I don't agree with
that period.
It's already being built. It's more than just an oil terminal. It's sea cans, grain, coal, sulpher, potash etc. it's a full on port and heavily automated.

P.S. The LNG (Chevron bought out Encana) terminal is now a go. BC Govt invested heavily into NG and can now get it to market and make moolah without holding SK and AB hostage on the oil pipeline.

NG pipelines are equally as harmful as an oil pipeline if they spring a leak.

Chevron aims to own half of Kitimat LNG plant

This might help with the big picture: Asia-Pacific Gateway and Corridor Initiative