Couple with disabled boy slapped with £70- Dufus on the loose- Birmingham England

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
So what do you think? Those that turned down this appeal, along with the Wanker who issued the ticket should be suspended without pay until they successfully attend and pass a course on Common Sense.
I am sure they will not find one.

Karl Wade and Rebecca Harbourne slapped with £70 parking ticket as they carried disabled son Devon to car outside their home | Mail Online

Couple with disabled boy slapped with £70 parking ticket as they carried him to their car outside their home

A couple were left fuming after a traffic warden gave them a £70 parking ticket outside their own home as they carried their paralysed son to their car.

Karl Wade, 37, and Rebecca Harbourne, 28, have slammed Birmingham council officials after they refused to repeal the ticket despite several appeals.

The pair had driven the Nissan people carrier to the front of their house so they could put son Devon, four, who suffers with cerebral palsy, in the car and take him to school.
But while they were inside strapping special splints to his legs, a warden appeared and slapped them with a £70 ticket.
Despite having Devon, who is paralysed down his left side and can only crawl, in their arms the official would not back down and told the couple to get in touch with the council.
The Wade family, of Erdington, Birmingham, had fallen foul of council 8am to 6pm parking restrictions imposed while the road was being resurfaced.

They made two appeals against the fine but both were dismissed by Birmingham City Council as lacking 'merit'.

For those that are inclined to below is the contact info for the City of Birmingham.

contact@birmingham.gov.uk

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Do they not have things like Handicapped Parking Passes and whatnot in the UK? Seems like a stupid waste of taxpayer funds to take the time on this which is not unreasonable of an excuse. Was there no one double parked during this time that deserved the wrath of the parking wardens?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Do they not have things like Handicapped Parking Passes and whatnot in the UK? Seems like a stupid waste of taxpayer funds to take the time on this which is not unreasonable of an excuse. Was there no one double parked during this time that deserved the wrath of the parking wardens?

I think this might be the punchline to this bad joke of a situation:

....The Wade family, of Erdington, Birmingham, had fallen foul of council 8am to 6pm parking restrictions imposed while the road was being resurfaced....

Perhaps the construction zone trumped the Handicapped Parking Pass in this case?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

They had a road ban in place due to resurfacing the road. Where did they expect the parent to park. It would have taken a few minutes to complete this. Work was not impeded but the Officer clearly has an inability for basic thought or even simple problem solving skills.
The appeal was turned down twice, not once but twice. Wankers, the whole lot are Wankers

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Give a bureaucrap a little authority and he will abuse it. Happens here too. Interestingly enough one cannot get a temporary handicap parking pass. It is for permanent disability only. So if you should have a broken leg and need a wheelchair to go shopping you do not get to park in the handicapped space.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Wait a minute we are not talking about a rural road we are talking about a municipal road with
traffic restrictions due to road maintenance, that was already obstructing traffic. I was sort of
on the parents side until it became clear they parked the car and then went in a put splints on
the boys legs. If they were using time management skills they would have put the splints on
before moving the car around front. That way there would be one parent at the vehicle to tell
the traffic warden that the boy was coming out, it would be a very minor disruption that way
and that according to this story didn't happen.
Nope I side with the traffic warden on this one, its not the child's fault but the parents didn't do
this right and were holding up traffic in the morning commute on a road surface that was already
impeded with construction.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Wait a minute we are not talking about a rural road we are talking about a municipal road with
traffic restrictions due to road maintenance, that was already obstructing traffic. I was sort of
on the parents side until it became clear they parked the car and then went in a put splints on
the boys legs. If they were using time management skills they would have put the splints on
before moving the car around front. That way there would be one parent at the vehicle to tell
the traffic warden that the boy was coming out, it would be a very minor disruption that way
Nope I side with the traffic warden on this one, its not the child's fault but the parents didn't do
this right and were holding up traffic in the morning commute on a road surface that was already
Well you can side with the warden but you're then exposing yourself as an unfeeling, grumpy old codger. I hope you get $140 parking ticket just for being an ignorant ba$tard! I say a disabled little boy trumps a bunch of able-bodied union lay-a-bouts resurfacing a road.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this one. The amount of infractions that happen every day that are given a free pass is fairly high, yet this one is one I feel could be given a pass without any hurt feelings. I know there's such a thing as "having to do your job", but I seriously doubt that the guy that gave the ticket would have caught any flack for not handing out a ticket.

And they can't find the guy that gave out the ticket in the first place? I somehow doubt that. They are probably just playing dumb, hoping that the family gives up and ends up paying the ticket. And then they say that their reason has "no merit"? Give me a break.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Not at all am I grumpy or insensitive, I have a disabled grandson and I know how difficult
it can be. Every looked after a situation like that? The problem here is one of time
management. If you have a situation that requires assistance putting leg braces on a child
which I have, you have to think about the child and others. Therefore one would first of
all get the child ready to go and then bring the car around and park it had that happened I
would blame the traffic warden. According to the story it read they brought the car around
parked it and went inside to put the braces on the child. Remember they got the ticket
because they were inside getting the braces on.

If there is a serious traffic delay due to construction there is a backlog of traffic already and
if they were inside putting the braces on the child, the warden would not know what they were
doing inside the home. That being the case he would issue the ticket fair enough, the next
time people would learn. If they had done it properly the delay would have been minimal
one parent would stay with the car while the other carried the kid out to it minor interruption
and exception can be made. If you read the story for what it is the parents were responsible
and the warden did his or her job.

Calling one names without looking at the events or knowing my personal situation is at best
misinformed and at worst.. well I will let that go. I appreciate the parents situation too I have
a grand child as I said who was hit by a drunk who had no licence in a playground area in Calgary
years ago. He will never walk again he will never reach the achievements of his twin brother but
he has a hell of a sense of humor.
Clearly if you read the story and think it through the parents are to blame here for not doing things
right and they actually didn't care about others they held up in a construction zone when they
could have had minimal delay.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Not at all am I grumpy or insensitive, I have a disabled grandson and I know how difficult
it can be. Every looked after a situation like that? The problem here is one of time
management. If you have a situation that requires assistance putting leg braces on a child
which I have, you have to think about the child and others. Therefore one would first of
all get the child ready to go and then bring the car around and park it had that happened I
would blame the traffic warden. According to the story it read they brought the car around
parked it and went inside to put the braces on the child. Remember they got the ticket

If there is a serious traffic delay due to construction there is a backlog of traffic already and
if they were inside putting the braces on the child, the warden would not know what they were
doing inside the home. That being the case he would issue the ticket fair enough, the next
time people would learn. If they had done it properly the delay would have been minimal
one parent would stay with the car while the other carried the kid out to it minor interruption
and exception can be made. If you read the story for what it is the parents were responsible

Calling one names without looking at the events or knowing my personal situation is at best
misinformed and at worst.. well I will let that go. I appreciate the parents situation too I have
a grand child as I said who was hit by a drunk who had no licence in a playground area in Calgary
years ago. He will never walk again he will never reach the achievements of his twin brother but
Clearly if you read the story and think it through the parents are to blame here for not doing things
right and they actually didn't care about others they held up in a construction zone when they

Huh? The only time I mentioned anything to do with you, damngrumpy, was the sentence below.

------------> Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this one.

I certainly never called you any names.8O

Ah! I see now that you were talking about the post above mine. Your post wasn't quoted, and since it was right below mine, I thought you were talking about my post. Oops!8O

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

Actually according to the story there is no mention of them blocking or impeding traffic at all. They apparently also had permission from the workers meaning they were not holding up any progress on the job. Nowhere does it tell us if putting the splints on was a 1 or 2 person job or if the mother was in the process when Dad ran in to help. It does state quite clearly it was a matter of a few minutes and he had checked to see if he was in the way.

So here is how I see it. The warden, not knowing the situation upon their arrival, was probably correct to start issuing the ticket but, upon the arrival of the parents carrying their disabled child he/she should have shown some decency and common sense and torn it up. When he/she didn't and it was appealed to the council they should have reversed it. Since neither of these things happened what we have is a whole bunch of insensitive a$$holes who could use a boot embedded where the sun don't shine and since you state you agree with their position then you are one too and deserve the same fate. Face it Grumpy, they should never have had to contact the council at all if the warden was even close to a decent, compassionate human being.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Upon re-reading this article it does seem like a lot of problems and hassles could have been avoided had the family spoke to someone, even with the road crew, about their predicament prior to the incident. Presumably the child goes to school at the same time every morning, I'm almost certain something could have been worked out if they'd tried.

I still think the ticketing agent could have issued a warning instead of a ticket, perhaps that could have been used as a catalyst towards resolving the issue.

Well you can side with the warden but you're then exposing yourself as an unfeeling, grumpy old codger. I hope you get $140 parking ticket just for being an ignorant ba$tard! I say a disabled little boy trumps a bunch of able-bodied union lay-a-bouts resurfacing a road.

Do you wake up in the morning just looking for people to insult? Talk about ignorant.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
And I say the handicapable who have rallied to be accepted and treated like everyone else should just suck it up when they are.

Do you wake up in the morning just looking for people to insult? Talk about ignorant.
Oh come on, the crying and whining he does when he gets called on it so fun to watch.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Upon re-reading this article it does seem like a lot of problems and hassles could have been avoided had the family spoke to someone, even with the road crew, about their predicament prior to the incident. Presumably the child goes to school at the same time every morning, I'm almost certain something could have been worked out if they'd tried.

I still think the ticketing agent could have issued a warning instead of a ticket, perhaps that could have been used as a catalyst towards resolving the issue.

Re-read it again. The father did apparently talk with a worker.

Actually I wake up in the morning and go to work at a dangerous job so you can have natural gas to heat your house and fuel in your vehicle....any more questions.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Re-read it again. The father did apparently talk with a worker.
What does a construction worker have to do with parking and traffic enforcement or the rules thereof?

Actually I wake up in the morning and go to work at a dangerous job so you can have natural gas to heat your house and fuel in your vehicle....any more questions.
So that's a yes?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Upon re-reading this article it does seem like a lot of problems and hassles could have been avoided had the family spoke to someone, even with the road crew...
The Article said:
Mr Wade insisted he had been told he could park in the space by workmen.
What does a construction worker have to do with parking and traffic enforcement or the rules thereof?
She made an erroneous statement, I corrected her. You then want to switch the subject as your usual troll self does in order to make yourself feel superior. You should really get help for these mental and emotional issues before much longer to help become a productive member of society.
To answer your question however....the workers on the site (the actual people doing the job) would know far, far better than some insensitive, low-life meter-maid as to whether the couple stopping their vehicle in that spot would impede progress of the roadworks which was the reason for the temporary suspension of parking on the street. Therefore I would say the father talked to the correct persons to ensure he was not going to pose a problem by stopping in that location for a very short duration.

Oh, and I highly doubt a 4 year old with severe CP has 'rallied' for anything. :roll:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You then want to switch the subject as your usual troll self does in order to make yourself feel superior.
I don't feel superior to you, I just am.

I didn't change the topic, it's part and parcel of the whole picture.

Workmen can't change the law.

Again, I don't find it odd that I have to explain legal matters to you. You just aren't very bright.

you should really get help for these mental and emotional issues before much longer to help become a productive member of society.
Did you just get up from a nap?

You should probably go back to bed. You'd post less nonsense and idiocy.

To answer your question however....the workers on the site (the actual people doing the job) would know far, far better than some insensitive, low-life meter-maid as to whether the couple stopping their vehicle in that spot would impede progress of the roadworks which was the reason for the temporary suspension of parking on the street.
You would be wrong. As usual.

Therefore I would say the father talked to the correct persons to ensure he was not going to pose a problem by stopping in that location for a very short duration.
Looks like you were both wrong.

No big surprise.

Oh, and I highly doubt a 4 year old with severe CP has 'rallied' for anything. :roll:
LOL, it comes as no surprise that you would fail to grasp the point, you aren't very bright.

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First of all, Shadowsiv I was not referring to you in comments make about personal
attacks, all you said was you disagreed. I was referring to an earlier comment about
being a grumpy old whatever, I think it was politicalnick.
The whole issue here is embedded in the fact that these people did not plan their actions
and it cost them money, The traffic warden had no idea they were inside putting on the
braces for the child, he had a vehicle parked in a construction zone.
Secondly had they spoken with the construction people and told them they would be a
few seconds it likely would have come their attention to inform the traffic warden.

They didn't do that however. The parents could have put the braces on the child, moved
the car around and put the kid in it a few seconds done. Didn't happen they moved the
car around, then put the braces on the child that takes time and time in a construction zone
is not going to go well with a warden who doesn't know the circumstances.

Nope I have to side with the traffic warden and likely the reason the council did nothing is
because of the fuss raised by the parents who were wrong in the first place. Had they
done things differently they would have a 70 pound fine to pay.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
So letters and warning notices weren't enough for these people. Too bad. Just pay up and carry on.

With parking on both sides of their street there isn't much room to even change your mind.

They may very well win their appeal but they were still wrong.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
They made two appeals against the fine but both were dismissed by Birmingham City Council as lacking 'merit'.
Is lacking human decency/intelligence and spewing crap like "lacking merit" sorta like .. um ... hypocrisy?

For those that are inclined to below is the contact info for the City of Birmingham.

contact@birmingham.gov.uk
Cool. I should get the wifey working on something to tell them. She's really good at firing nasty comments at people when she's annoyed.

Give a bureaucrap a little authority and he will abuse it. Happens here too. Interestingly enough one cannot get a temporary handicap parking pass. It is for permanent disability only. So if you should have a broken leg and need a wheelchair to go shopping you do not get to park in the handicapped space.
The SPARC ones here in BC are ALL temporary. The expiry period is 3 years or something like that.

BTW, the "splints" are called "braces" here and take a whopping 3 or 4 minutes to rig up; less if there are two people attaching them. This "warden" and the city council are just flatout bullying.

Last edited: