Tootsie Actor Charles Durning Dead at 89

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I liked him best in the Odd Couple.. R.I.P.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Charles Durning was such a prolific character actor, it always kind of irks me when, in death, they are tied to just one film as if that's all he was known for. If they want to report on big films on his resume, while Tootsie may be one of them, you can't just ignore The Sting, Dog Day Afternoon, or even The Muppet Movie. ;)

Joking aside, character actors are always the guys that keep to the background but somehow make the film. Here's his credits for anyone interested.

Charles Durning - IMDb

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Charles Durning was also a decorated soldier. He was among the first wave of US soldiers to land at Normandy during the D-Day invasion and the only member of his army unit to survive. He killed several Germans and was wounded in the leg. Later he was bayoneted by a young German soldier whom he killed with a rock. He was captured in the Battle of the Bulge and survived a massacre of prisoners.

In later years, he refused to discuss the military service for which he was awarded the Silver Star and three Purple Hearts.

"Too many bad memories," he said in an interview in 1997. "I don't want you to see me crying."

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Charles Durning was also a decorated soldier. He was among the first wave of US soldiers to land at Normandy during the D-Day invasion and the only member of his army unit to survive. He killed several Germans and was wounded in the leg. Later he was bayoneted by a young German soldier whom he killed with a rock. He was captured in the Battle of the Bulge and survived a massacre of prisoners.

In later years, he refused to discuss the military service for which he was awarded the Silver Star and three Purple Hearts.

"Too many bad memories," he said in an interview in 1997. "I don't want you to see me crying."

He was an excellent actor, I enjoyed many of his roles. I also got a chill when I read the original article that reported his death. It talked about his military action. I cannot imagine what it would have been like to have gone through what he went through.

Rest in peace, Mr. Durning.:(