Teacher suspended with pay

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Vancouver Island teacher suspended for showing Grade 4 students Christmas video featuring drag queens
A Grade 4 teacher has been suspended for using a YouTube video of cross-dressing bikini models to spark a classroom discussion on lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender issues.
Joe Winkler was suspended with pay this week after six parents at Brentwood elementary school complained about the “sexualized nature of the behaviour of the actors” in the clip, which features men in bikinis and wigs lip-synching Bette Midler’s rendition of the Mele Kalikimaka Christmas song as they frolic on a tropical shoreline.

More: Vancouver Island teacher suspended for showing Grade 4 students Christmas video featuring drag queens

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Lord suffering you know who how stupid is this guy? I am no prude but this is
just nuts. I don't think this would be acceptable even in a community organization
setting let alone a school. I think the whole issue of sexuality has gone too far
in the schools when it comes to gay and gender issues.
It would be better in my opinion to discuss individual issues that develop during
the school year to make people feel more comfortable but to make the issue
front and center divides the community.
First it give a platform to the folks who hate, it draws attention to the kids who are
different and it promotes the homophobic aspects of life. If there is a specific and
serious problem it should be dealt with in a serious manner and not like this.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
you called him a perverted a$$, expand on that. How and why is he perverted?

and who is "them"?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Well for starters I didn't find the video at all 'sexually charged', I have no idea who thinks it is or why. It's more goofy and funny, a parody style I'd say. So the video in and of itself is certainly not age inappropriate as far as visual content being of a sexual nature.

Having said that, personally I don't necessarily think that video would do much to spark discussion on LGBT issues anymore than handing out the swimsuit issue of Sports Illustrated would spark a discussion of women's rights. I think it was a poor choice in that regard. But I'm all for discussion; open, frank and honest discussion, amongst youth within a classroom setting because that's how I think stereotypes and bias cycles from parent to child stop repeating.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I don't agree on age appropriate and I don't think the teacher is perverted he is
just not thinking let alone thinking clearly. Stupid people on a personal level
are not necessarily perverted.
Now the video might be funny or what ever the personal view is but in a school
setting in grade four I think its not appropriate.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I don't agree on age appropriate and I don't think the teacher is perverted he is
just not thinking let alone thinking clearly. Stupid people on a personal level
are not necessarily perverted.
Now the video might be funny or what ever the personal view is but in a school
setting in grade four I think its not appropriate.

what if it was just 3 ugly women in bikinis? Would it still have been inappropriate? Why was it inappropriate?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
IMO he/they are perverted azzes. What makes you think i will change my mind because you say i should?

I'm just trying to get a clear view of where you are coming from. I do not want to be accused of making statements about what you do and do not believe.

From what I am getting, you believe all members of the GLBT community are perverted a$$'s. Is this correct? If so, then why do you feel this way?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Having said that, personally I don't necessarily think that video would do much to spark discussion on LGBT issues anymore than handing out the swimsuit issue of Sports Illustrated would spark a discussion of women's rights. I think it was a poor choice in that regard. But I'm all for discussion; open, frank and honest discussion, amongst youth within a classroom setting because that's how I think stereotypes and bias cycles from parent to child stop repeating.
Exactly. Same issue as showing a high-school student some theoretical physics, applied organic chemistry, or marine engineering.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I would have suspended him too the same way if he had played certain scenes of Baywatch to 4th graders. Its not really an appropriate way to teach sex ed for that age group.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Vancouver Island teacher suspended for showing Grade 4 students Christmas video featuring drag queens
A Grade 4 teacher has been suspended for using a YouTube video of cross-dressing bikini models to spark a classroom discussion on lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender issues.
Joe Winkler was suspended with pay this week after six parents at Brentwood elementary school complained about the “sexualized nature of the behaviour of the actors” in the clip, which features men in bikinis and wigs lip-synching Bette Midler’s rendition of the Mele Kalikimaka Christmas song as they frolic on a tropical shoreline.

More: Vancouver Island teacher suspended for showing Grade 4 students Christmas video featuring drag queens
lol Funny vid. Even funnier reaction.
Anyway, I suppose Brentwood's "thoughtful" schmucks would rather have had him show cute little birds n bees vids to illustrate LGBT stuff?
eeeeyeeeaaahhh Like 10 and 11 year olds haven't seen stuff already in MuchMusic or whatever.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Well for starters I didn't find the video at all 'sexually charged', I have no idea who thinks it is or why. It's more goofy and funny, a parody style I'd say. So the video in and of itself is certainly not age inappropriate as far as visual content being of a sexual nature.

Agreed. It's a lame campy video. But it ain't grade 4 material.

The school board (your moral and intellectual superiors sometimes) figures grade 4 is about the time for LGBT inauguration. That's early in my opinion. Maybe this active advocate for social justice, gay teach had his own early birdie trend-setter agenda to hasten that learning, who knows.

Maybe he wants to be remembered as the famous one that started things off early, be recognized for his great leaps in social advancement and edumacation deeds. Whatever. Just settle down chum and listen to the parents and your employer and maybe one day you'll get your jump-start.

Regardless, save this for a few years at least. Then have a go if it must be part of their curriculum.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
I'm just trying to get a clear view of where you are coming from. I do not want to be accused of making statements about what you do and do not believe.

From what I am getting, you believe all members of the GLBT community are perverted a$$'s. Is this correct? If so, then why do you feel this way?

Why ask a question when you know the answer? Looking to cause trouble? I am not a fan of those who have convinced much of society that abnormal is normal. I do not generally argue about it as i believe that is best left alone but this was way too far to go.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Agreed. It's a lame campy video. But it ain't grade 4 material.

The school board (your moral and intellectual superiors sometimes) figures grade 4 is about the time for LGBT inauguration. That's early in my opinion. Maybe this active advocate for social justice, gay teach had his own early birdie trend-setter agenda to hasten that learning, who knows.

Maybe he wants to be remembered as the famous one that started things off early, be recognized for his great leaps in social advancement and edumacation deeds. Whatever. Just settle down chum and listen to the parents and your employer and maybe one day you'll get your jump-start.

Regardless, save this for a few years at least. Then have a go if it must be part of their curriculum.

It's not an "introductory" video for LGBT topics, anything campy wouldn't be. I think you have to start off on a more serious note.

But I don't think grade 4 (age 10) is too young. My (at the time) husband and I would often discuss contemporary and sometimes"controversial" issues within ear shot of the kids. Nothing wildly inappropriate but we never shielded them. From the best of my memory around the age of ten is when they started participating of their own accord, asking questions and what not.

Having said that though, while I completely endorse beginning discussion around the fourth grade of serious social topics, I do recognize that other people raise their children differently, as is their right. So I think if you're going to introduce a topic in a classroom that you want genuine discussion about you don't choose the medium that will make headlines, but you do introduce the topic.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
BC is a fagggot free zone if the teacher wants to play that game then he should move to Toronto the gay capital of Canada and leave the normal people to raise their kids in a more traditional way.