Is it Merry Christmas or Happy holiday ?

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Merry Christmas to all those who celebrate the Christmas holiday season with all of its traditions and beliefs.
May all of you and your family have a joyous celebration with your families and friends and;
May you enjoy decorating your Christmas Tree with your family,
May you share and enjoy the beautiful Santa story with your children,
May you enjoy helping your kids hang up their Christmas stocking,
May you enjoy seeing the joy and sparkle in your kids faces when they get up in the morning and see their stockings filled with gifts and watch them open up those gifts from Santa,
May you enjoy contacting family and friends in far of lands to wish them a Merry Christmas and catch up on the changes in your families from the past year,
May you enjoy getting together with family and friends for Christmas dinner,
May you enjoy all the Christmas dishes that are usually only made during Christmas events as well as all the beautiful Christmas deserts,
And for those who still celebrate the tradition of a meatless dinner on Christmas Eve, may you enjoy the twelve meatless dishes that were prepared with joy and uniques in dish preparation from last Christmas,
May you enjoy the singing of Christmas carols with family and friends,
And for those who make a special effort to attend a special church service during this festive season, may you find spiritual strength and guidance for the coming year, for it is these beliefs that are the foundations on which this country was built on,
May you enjoy the special toasts you share with family and friends and may you find different kinds of drinks to add to your experiences.

So, once again, may you have a very Merry Merry Christmas to one and all !!

And to those who celebrate Happy holidays, enjoy your day off work.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Merry Christmas... after all it's Christ's Birthday we are celebrating..

Well actually his b-day was nowhere near the end of december . But if his followers wish to celebrate now who are we to complain?

I say Merry Christmas as a rule since happy holidays sounds too PC and more like a code for shop till you drop. I would also say happy .....whatever the holiday is to people if i know that is what they celebrate.
We do christmas mostly for the grandkids but both of us are more in favor of celebrating Winter Solstice which just happens to be done on dec. 25.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Well actually his b-day was nowhere near the end of december . But if his followers wish to celebrate now who are we to complain?

It's the date that is recognized to celebrate his Birthday..

Look, I'm not very religious personally, but let's give credit to "Religion" for the fact that it set values in society to base laws on which has created the foundation to our modern society as we know it.

Sure is better than the time of the Romans...

[youtube]m2CqtNeRK_w[/youtube]

However, society is slowly reverting back to those values, orgies, homosexuality, lust, the love of money, thriving on violence and guns.. single parenthood, vs a family unit.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I say "Merry Christmas" loudly and clearly. Odd how it tends to ring out and echo among the joists and plumbing overhead. If it offends someone ... so what? They don't have to take the advice.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It's the date that is recognized to celebrate his Birthday..

Look, I'm not very religious personally, but let's give credit to "Religion" for the fact that it set values in society to base laws on which has created the foundation to our modern society as we know it.

Sure is better than the time of the Romans...

[youtube]m2CqtNeRK_w[/youtube]

However, society is slowly reverting back to those values, orgies, homosexuality, lust, the love of money, thriving on violence and guns.. single parenthood, vs a family unit.

That would depend on wether you were a Roman or lion food.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

That would depend on wether you were a Roman or lion food.

You mean a Roman or a Christian. ;)

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Im totally indifferent. The people who get mad at people who say one or the other are the annoying ones. Why get into a fight and stress over semantics? Especially over a greeting.

That stuff never really went away. History is full of all of the above both before and after Christianity became popular.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
...and someone is wishing you well in that greeting (or parting, or whatever).

I mean, if "Merry Christmas" was replaced with "F-Off & Die!" I could see the
issue, but to date I haven't personally seen that happen.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
"F-Off & Die!"greeting is reserved for my dispatcher.. and that is a daily greeting..

...aaagh, back to work today after a week off with a fractured thumb.. 2 fractures actually. WBC put me off work.. Glad to be returning to work.. pulling a double.. 18hrs.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
What about the Jews? If someone wished me a "Happy Hanukkah!"...I'd have no problem
with that. "Merry Quanza!" is still wishing someone good things...& surely nothing to take
offense with.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I was raised saying "Merry Christmas" and thats what I still say, even though I don't consider myself a Christian, and (when I think about it) I am mildly amused that the early European Church found it necessary to rename and claim ownership of all the old pagan festivals (of which Christmas is just one), in order to convert and bring the populace into the mainstream of their religion. At the same time I respect the choices of others to celebrate whatever holidays they wish. The only one that does meet some private derision from me is Kwanza, and not because I have anything against those who wish to celebrate it, but due to the fact that it was a recent invention (late 60s) brought on by a percieved need for African Americans to have a holiday of their own (as if most religions have racial exclusions: most African American/Canadians I know are some sect of Christian)... but I'm not about to rain on anyone's parade until they start preaching at me.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If I'm wishing you a Merry Christmas, I will wish you a Merry Christmas, even if you're not religious as really our modern Christmas is about more than religion, all muddled up with pagan and even modern cultural festivities the way it is. If you're Muslim I'd wish you Happy Holidays, since I hold as much good will toward you as to any other of my neighbours. I'd find it odd to accept your neighbourly friendship, and then try to make some religious point that flies in the face of Christ's teachings.

And no matter who you are, if I'm not going to see you until after New Years, I still will likely say Happy Holidays, as I truly wish you enjoy them both.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
If you're Muslim I'd wish you Happy Holidays, since I hold as much good will toward you as to any other of my neighbours.
both.
But in this context, it seems the only reason you are wishing the Muslim a Happy Holiday is because you are inspired to say this because you are a Christian. Some Muslims will find this offensive because to them, this season has no particular relevance and it can be interrupted as you imposing your beliefs on them.

As a side note, some Muslims are now beginning to say that they find all the public Christmas decorations offensive, they are claiming that it is anti-Islamic.